[International] Siyah kernel

Last Updated: 2013-03-23 19:00:27
  1. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Well-Known Member

[KERNEL][ExTweaks] SiyahKernel S3-v1.0 - xda-developers

You don't know how happy I am. Siyah was my favorite kernel for the gs2 so I'm pleased to see gokhanmoral make a version for the gs3. It's very early days but it seems nice and smooth. It has extweaks support , to tweak your phone towards battery or performance which I'll have to play around with later. It also has the exfat modules which means an sd card formatted to exfat can be mounted (a feature that was missing from the other custom kernels i tried)

Advertisement
    SUroot likes this.
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Thanks. I just flashed this. Seems like it will be good!
  3. Shotgun84

I don't know what gokhanmoral does to his kernels but whatever it is I think he's done it again. I probably shouldn't rave about the battery life just yet as I should really give it a couple of cycles but..
    I flashed this on my cigarette break when my battery was about the same as it always is and then 6 hours later when I finished work I've got 10% more than i usually would. I can't wait to see what it can do on a full cycle. Considering this is the first release I'm excited to see where this is going. If his gs2 kernel is anything to go by it will just get better and better with each release.
  4. SUroot

It's smooth like butter.
  5. SuperAndoid

SuperAndoid Well-Known Member

So I'm currently Omega v6.0 with stock Kernel and have been deciding to update to Siyah 1.2.6 kernel. Do I just put file on my phone go into CWM and flash it without doing any wipes?

The reason I m thinking to go with this kernel is that I find my battery drains too much when I don't even use it that much nor have that many apps installed.
  6. Shotgun84

Yeah just put it on your phone and flash. I will usually wipe dalvik although it's not necessary. I just wipe it as some apps will store info about your old kernel so wiping dalvik gets rid of these.
    SuperAndoid likes this.
  7. SuperAndoid

Cool thanks. I see you have been using it for awhile now, still smooth as butter?
  8. Shotgun84

Yeah, no complaints here. It's still smooth and battery's good
  9. SuperAndoid

I just flashed the kernel and the very first thing i noticed was the waking up of the phone by pressing the home button. Wow, almost instant incomparion to the orginal kernel which was a delay. Will keep monitoring :)

Edit: OK nvm, there's still a tad of delay, maybe i was wishing too much
  10. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

If I flash this kernel, and later need to get back to my stock one, how do I do it?
  11. SUroot

The kernel is in the boot.img. backup first
  12. Shotgun84

1.3.8 is up
    Changelog:

fixed volume drop on ExTweaks launch

insecure adbd as default

lots of cleanups in scripts

headphone amplification limit changed from +5dB to +6dB.

fll_tuning (known as anti-jitter) enabled as default

this version will not reset your previous extweaks settings

tested on miui

detailed wakelock statistics (thanks to tungstwenty for the patch), you should turn it on in Extweaks to see detailed statistics in betterbatterystats

added enable/disable GPU resume frequency setting. disabling it will save battery but may decrease UI responsiveness.

added touch boost level setting (or disable) to ExTweaks. default is still 800MHz.

fixed video recording problem with CM9

added mDNIe negative toggle enable/disable checkbox to ExTweaks

mDNIe sharpness tweaks (thanks to hardcore)

updated to latest source drop from Samsung (Update3)

changed packet filter settings to block multicast packets (thanks to Entropy512)

updated ramfs init files and exfat modules to LFB kernel

fixed sound enhancement settings not being applied sometimes

SiyahKernel for S2 & S3 | "One kernel to rule them all"
  13. Matthew1125

Matthew1125 Active Member

Finally rooted the S3! Now to find some kernals/ ROMs to truely put this phone to great use.

I have read nothing but great things about the Siyah Kernal. I was wondering if this would be supported with stock S3 ICS ROM.

If not, what are some that are supported? I have read that Cyanogenmod 10 is not 100% yet. What about the nightlies version? Would it support the Kernel?

Thanks to all!
  14. Shotgun84

You'll struggle to find a firmware or Rom which siyah doesn't work with. I suppose jellybean but the dev is working on that.
    I'll merge this in with a thread in all things root.
  15. Matthew1125

Matthew1125 Active Member

So it will support the stocker?
  16. Shotgun84

Yeah it will work fine with stock
  17. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

First post so hello!

Just a few questions about Siyah kernel, this will be my first proper mod to my phone. It's rooted but I've not flashed a rom or custom kernel yet.

I'm completely new to UC/OC the device so is there a write up I can read anywhere to get best performance whether it be battery life or actual performance from the phone? Or is there preset options in the Siyah options? I was gonna look at the Siyah thread on xda but 500 odd pages put me off tbh!

Once I've flashed the kernel how would I go about removing it? Would I need to return to complete stock with a complete wipe or can I just remove it and have the phone as it was before?
  18. Shotgun84

Hello and welcome to the forum Yatezy.

Underclocking and overclocking is pretty straight forward. After flashing siyah you will notice an app in your app draw called STweaks which is used to customize the kernel. When you open the app you should be defaulted to the cpu page so scroll down until you get to cpu scaling settings. To oc just increase the scaling max freq. To uc lower this value and also lower scaling min freq. It is possible to oc by more than the app lets you but you'll need a third party app such as voltage control as these frequencies have been removed from stweaks as they can make your phone unstable. You can also undervolt each clock step which will save you more battery. This can be done under the cpu undervolting setting. All the undervolting options should be stable so it should be safe to go straight for -100. Again it's possible to go lower using voltage control but it can make your device unstable.

To remove siyah you just need to reflash the cfroot kernel or any other custom kernel.
    rabben and Yatezy like this.
  19. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, seems pretty straight forward.

I'm not fussed about OC it to 1.8 Ghz as the phone is more than fast enough for me but if I undervolt it, which will save me battery life, then will I need to overclock as performance will be effected or will it still stay as fast?

Sorry for the Noob inquisition :)
  20. Shotgun84

No need to apologise. You shouldn't see any drop in performance after undervolting so shouldn't need to oc if your are happy with the speed. I have mine set at 100000 to 1400000, all undervolted by 100 and if there's a drop in performance I can't see it.
    rabben likes this.
  21. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

That's great! Cheers mate :)
  22. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

Just curious, has anyone installed this kernel with the KitchenPro method on Checkrom? Or any other Kernel for that matter? It just seems remarkably easy and less faff than using Odin/CWM.
  23. Shotgun84

Kernels will flash fine from the checkrom kitchen, the only problem is they don't get updated as much as the devs site. The version of siyah in the kitchen is a few builds ago.
    Jon_LTD likes this.
  24. Jon_LTD

Jon_LTD Well-Known Member

Excellent. Thanks for the info. Nifty tool this kitchen. I'm very impressed with its functionality.
  25. gboydroid

gboydroid New Member

Latest release for jb leaks. :)