• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International Tegra 3] 1st attempt at rooting One X- fails at htcdev

davo26

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
hi

trying to root my wifes phone. im following the rooting guide and am at present trying to unlock the bootloader first.
ive followed instructions up to downloading and executing the fastboot win file. i downloaded, and in that folder there is another folder called MACOSX or something, and also a single fastboot file. in the MACOSX folder there is also a fastboot file.
i tried to execute the single file first but it said AdbWinApi.dll is missing from my computer, try reinstalling etc. i dont understand what that means.
i then tried the one in the folder but i said that the cpu had received an illegal instruction. so.... no good.

i went ahead anyway with the htcdev instructions to see if it still worked, but when i typed in the fastboot oem identifier stuff it failed. probably due to the above.

can you help me with this please? i dont spose theres a one click does all way of rooting this is there as its been a few years since i did my DHD and ive forgotten how to do it.

thanks a lot

Reactions: brhallz78
a whole lot of googling has resulted in what think is success! ive copied the textfrom the cmd box below. it says failed, but my bootloader screen on phone now says unlocked.

before i go ahead with the rootingi just want to check its all as it should be at this stage?

thanks

C:\fastboot>fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
sending 'unlocktoken' (0 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.024s]
writing 'unlocktoken'...
(bootloader) unlock token check successfully
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 19.358s

Reactions: brhallz78
Upvote 0
i thought id experiment and see if i could instal a new rom. i put the viper rom on phone, booted into recovery and tried installing it. however, it hung on ascreen that said tap 'next' to continue. the screen wasnt responsive, itd only allow me to use the power button which wouldnt let me hit 'next'. grrrrr.

decided to restore the nandroid i did earlier, but that now wont get a phone signal. i thought id check the apn, but those options are all greyed out.

help???? how can i get the phone back working again?

thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones