international texting

Last Updated:

1. gezzuzz

gezzuzz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

any cheaper options for sending and receiving international sms?

down side to sprint $.20 a message

att had 100 message for $10 and incoming was counted as a normal text

google voice sms dont work for this..

Advertisement
  2. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Huh? I send tons of free international text messages all the time using Google Voice SMS through the Google voice web page. I haven't tried it thru my EVO yet...but no matter what, you could always go to the Google Voice web page to do it.

Of course, maybe the free SMS only applies to certain countries.

3. gezzuzz

gezzuzz Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

frist few times it worked.. for sending only.. not it rejects them all..
    im texting to chile.. google does not work for everyone.. the have no offical support for international sms.. they could charge a penny a text and clean up

4. teky

teky Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that...all of mine go thru to the Philippines perfectly. But if there is a problem there, it's probably between Google and Chile.

5. polkadots

polkadots Well-Known Member

I thought you could text Europe (England, anyway) for free...I could be smoking something, however. I mean, I swear it used to be that way?

6. rkarthikeyan5

rkarthikeyan5 New Member

I would really appreciate if someone figured out a cheaper solution for the international texting. $.20 a minute for both ways adds up pretty heavily when you look at your bill at the end of the month :)

Google voice is out of question. It simply rejects (it clearly says in its website too) messages sent outside US.

I use Skype via Fring, so there is no SMS option available there as well. Y Messenger's list of supporting carriers for their SMS option does not include Sprint.

Any other ideas/suggestions?

7. hwipark

hwipark New Member

I've been dating someone overseas for more than a year now, and the reason why I got a smartphone was so I can text with her.
    I tried using all sorts of txting methods + different phone carriers, and the best way was for both ends to get smart phones. My gf overseas has a phone that has email capability, and my evo (and my previous smart phones) has activesync, so I can just setup an email account for texting purposes and text with her everyday (it's just emailing each other with phone notifications). Moreover, since East asian languages arent supported for regular texting, a lot of people in the states just set up a gmail push account (for texting purposes) and email each other in different languages.

Hope this helps,