• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] The HTC One root thread

hope that helps.

for now,id prolly concentrate on getting your drivers working,and being able to connect to your phone with the cmd window in the booted OS (adb devices) and with the phone in fastboot (fastboot devices)

once youve got that part working,you can adb reboot recovery aND see what pops up. my guess is that youll see twrp recovery. if you see a red triangle and ! then youve still got a stock recovery

in the booted OS,you can:
adb reboot to reboot the phone
adb reboot bootloader to boot to fastboot
adb reboot recovery to boot to to recovery

in fastboot you can:
fastboot reboot-bootloader to make the bootloader reboot
fastboot getvar all to list some phone info :)
fastboot oem writecid VZW__001 to change your cid
fastboot reboot to boot back to the OS

last and not least,some troubleshooting steps:

Ok, moving along! I think the adb thing is working. All the commands led to the appropriate returns (device number, etc.) FYI the white window said "fastboot usb" instead of "fastboot devices". As in my other post to Hadron, it looks like I'm rooted with superSU. I'll change the cid next. What is that for? The phone seems to work fine. Hadron's comment that "the recovery command being just black doesn't sound right" concerns me some. After that, I'll try to get the CW touch flashed.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I think I actually did it! All the fastboot stuff seemed to check out. I found the CW touch recovery and permanently flashed it. At the moment, I'm backing up the stock rom (wow that takes a long time!). The other post says:

there is not much to explain with this one. if booted to recovery from above,use the recovery menu on your phone to:
*make a backup of your stock,unrooted rom. this is NOT an option! please... do it.
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file)
-reboot

*congratulations,youre rooted

But I assume I can skip this since I already have the superSU working? Also, what are the basic steps for flashing a new ROM?

Reactions: Hadron and scotty85
Upvote 0
FYI the white window said "fastboot usb" instead of "fastboot devices".
that is correct. when in fastboot mode of the bootloader,plugging in to the PC will display on the white bootloader screen fastboot usb

typing fastboot devices in the cmd window should spit back the serial number,just like adb devices will in the booted OS :)

I think I actually did it! All the fastboot stuff seemed to check out. I found the CW touch recovery and permanently flashed it. At the moment, I'm backing up the stock rom (wow that takes a long time!). The other post says:

there is not much to explain with this one. if booted to recovery from above,use the recovery menu on your phone to:
*make a backup of your stock,unrooted rom. this is NOT an option! please... do it.
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-install zip from sd card(chose your superuser file)
-reboot

*congratulations,youre rooted

But I assume I can skip this since I already have the superSU working? Also, what are the basic steps for flashing a new ROM?

correct,since you have working superSU,no need to flash him again.

flashing roms uses that same sequence,except youll pick the rom's zip file instead of superSU,and adding the make a backup step:

-make backup
-wipe cache
-wipe dalvik cache
-install zip from sd card(chose your rom file)
-reboot

Reactions: Mike W and Hadron
Upvote 0
I'm having a bit of trouble with the "fastboot boot recovery.img" command. I have openrecovery-twrp-2.5.0.0-m7.img from here (techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7) , renamed to recovery.img and copied to d:\android. Here's what my command prompt window looks like (pastebin.com/kHDC4baY)

It just freezes on the fastboot screen and I have to hold power to restart it.

Upvote 0
What hboot do you have?

If you look back through this thread you'll find some discussion of this command not working with newer hboot versions. Hopefully the permanent install ("fastboot flash recovery") will still work, but Scotty had a very bad experience with 1.55.

If you are S-Off you can downgrade your hboot to 1.44, where fastboot boot should still work (I did this yesterday after updating my firmware). But if you are S-On you may have no alternative but to try a permanent install.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

ahhh,thats easy. thats the AT&T version. im downloading firmware.zip right now,i can upload the stock recovery,so if you wish to be rooted,you can simply install a recovery,make a stock backup,flash root files,then afterward flash the stock recovery back in place.

if youre after the ability to recieve OTAs,keep in mind there are several criteria that need to be met,not the least of wich is the stock recovery in place,and a pretty unmodified boot and system. this means no custom kernels,no extensive system mods,and most(or all) of the factory bloat still in place :eek:

let me know if your interested,and ill get it uploaded for you.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Hi Guys, me again. I've been patiently waiting for CM to get a "stable" mod and it's up to "release candididate" stage, so somebody's working on it. My current issue is a recent OTA from Verizon. I'm diligently avoiding it, but it's really nagging me. I've found a few ideas of how to stop it, (Freeze via Titanium Backup:FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk
Utilizing Root Explorer or the like: Rename file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak AND Rename file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak) but not having any luck finding the files or changing the names in ES File. Any ideas? Also, if I get to CM, will the OTA nagging stop? Thanks.

Update: I found a new thread How to prevent OTA on stock rooted VZW HTC One - xda-developers on xda that lists another set of files to rename. I'll try that and repost if it works. I also found that Root Explorer was necessary to see the files, worth the $4.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys, me again. I've been patiently waiting for CM to get a "stable" mod and it's up to "release candididate" stage, so somebody's working on it. My current issue is a recent OTA from Verizon. I'm diligently avoiding it, but it's really nagging me. I've found a few ideas of how to stop it, (Freeze via Titanium Backup:FWUpgrade.apk and SDM.apk
Utilizing Root Explorer or the like: Rename file: /etc/security/otacerts.zip to otacerts.zip.bak AND Rename file: /system/app/ wssyncmlnps.apk to wssyncmlnps.apk.bak) but not having any luck finding the files or changing the names in ES File. Any ideas? Also, if I get to CM, will the OTA nagging stop? Thanks.

Update: I found a new thread How to prevent OTA on stock rooted VZW HTC One - xda-developers on xda that lists another set of files to rename. I'll try that and repost if it works. I also found that Root Explorer was necessary to see the files, worth the $4.
first,dont let the status of the builds scare you. ive run nightlys on many daily driver phones that i need to rely upon for work. just because they are nigtlys doesnt mean they arent functional,stable,and useable :) flashing cm will keep you from getting OTA nags

on your OTA issue,you could simply flash a custom rom based on the OTA,wich will defiantely stop the nagging.

if you want to stay where you are,youll need to look for the OTA file in a downloads folder,and eliminate it.

you can then use titanium to freeze a file called "updater" to keep the phone from checking(or use root explorer to rename the file).

with this file frozen,if i select system update,the process just crashes,and FCs. ive had my dads phone set this way since i gave it to him to keep it from OTAing and screwing something up. its still running t mobiles release 4.1 :eek:

Reactions: Mike W
Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

So I'm getting ready to install CM now and a couple of things are a little different than described, so I thought I'd check in before pulling the trigger.

I found my way to recovery and made a backup.
I plugged my phone into my computer and only a folder called "internal storage" showed up, so I assume this is /sdcard/. My old dinc would say "use as mass storage" and I'd get two drives, the phone storage and the sd card separately. I don't see a way to do that when I look at the One.

I moved CM.zip to the "internal storage" folder on the phone.

choices now are:

install zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
advanced

CM instructions say just do the factory reset, should I also do the cache partition? Is that the dalvik cache Scotty mentioned?

They also have this Gapp.zip link for the Google playstore, maps, etc. I assume I just go back to recovery to the install zip and then choose that instead?

Will I lose all my data and if so, should I just copy over the "internal storage" stuff I copied to my computer?

Also, if anyone is following up on my prior post, the OTA nagging stopped when I followed the XDA link instructions on the prior post.

Thanks for any help (and for all the help so far!).

Mike

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

So I'm getting ready to install CM now and a couple of things are a little different than described, so I thought I'd check in before pulling the trigger.

I found my way to recovery and made a backup.
I plugged my phone into my computer and only a folder called "internal storage" showed up, so I assume this is /sdcard/. My old dinc would say "use as mass storage" and I'd get two drives, the phone storage and the sd card separately. I don't see a way to do that when I look at the One.

I moved CM.zip to the "internal storage" folder on the phone.

choices now are:

install zip
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition
advanced

CM instructions say just do the factory reset, should I also do the cache partition? Is that the dalvik cache Scotty mentioned?

They also have this Gapp.zip link for the Google playstore, maps, etc. I assume I just go back to recovery to the install zip and then choose that instead?

Will I lose all my data and if so, should I just copy over the "internal storage" stuff I copied to my computer?

Also, if anyone is following up on my prior post, the OTA nagging stopped when I followed the XDA link instructions on the prior post.

Thanks for any help (and for all the help so far!).

Mike

yup,internal storage is where you want to place the rom. it is effectively the sd card ;) different from the dinc as you only have the phone storage.

doing a "factory reset" generally will wipe the cache parition also(youll see it "wiping cache" when you do a factory reset),and the dalvik cache lives inside the data partition,so you are fine to just do a factory reset. the "old school" train of thot is to make sure you wipe cache and dalvik in addition to data,but the reality is that is not really neccesary.

sometimes you may need to wipe cache and dalvik to install something without wiping data,but for a new rom that is very different from your current one,you will want to wipe data.

if youre using clockwork recovery,dalik cache is under "advanced" in the menu.

certainly no harm in wiping the cache and dalvik also,but ignore any advice you get that you need to flash special "super wipe" zips or manually wipe something multiple times. electonically wiping is not like wiping crumbs off of a counter that you may need to make a couple passes. :p

you are correct,just put gapps on your "sd card" as we,then flash the rom,and gapps immediately after.

just holler if you have further questions :)

Upvote 0
Ok, better now. An hour and a couple of stiff ones later, I think I'm back. For any other intrepid newbies out there:

I went to install zip and the CM file was not there. I rebooted-BIG MISTAKE. Went to stock, wouldn't boot to CWM. A little panicky at this point. Couldn't get anything to work, so I did another factory reset through Sense and I'm back in recovery. The first choice in "install zip" is \0\ so I chose that and THAT is the sdcard drive. I found the cm.zip file there and flashed it.

Upvote 0
sorry for the confusion and late response,i forgot about the /0 bit. with the change to 4.2/4.3 the location of the "sd card" changed to data/media/0(from simply data/media) so it is is neccessary to open the /0 folder to find all your sd card content when looking for your rom to flash in recovery,since recovery just opend up data/media.

i assume your trouble re-entering recovery was the inability to get to hboot to select recovery,very likely due to the "fastboot" setting being checked in settings/power.

the "factory reset" option from the booted OS would normally take you to the stock recovery to wipe all data,so thats why you ended up in cw. :)

for future reference,there are a few ways to get to recovery:
-uncheck fastboot and power off for a few seconds
-hold power and vol down until the softkeys blink and the phone resets
-from an app like "quickboot" from the play store
-from the "power down" menu of many custon roms(wont help if your stock obviously :p)
-from the cmd window:
adb reboot recovery will boot you directly to recovery

or even:
adb reboot bootloader will get you to fastboot,where you can select bootloader,then recovery

again,sorry for the late response. guess my nyquil took me out sooner than i anticipated :eek: ;)

holler if you need anythign else :)

Upvote 0
No prob and thanks for answering. I wish I was done, but it's been 8 hours and the phone still has the cyanogen droid head with an arrow swirling around it like it's installing. It has flashed white with a vibration about 7 times (reboots?). I'll leave it for the day now and go to work, but what should I do if it doesn't finish? How long is too long?

Upvote 0
I wish I was done, but it's been 8 hours and the phone still has the cyanogen droid head with an arrow swirling around it like it's installing.

yikes! :eek: 8 hours is definately too long. ive seen the initial boot take 20ish minues,but definately not multiple hours. looks like something went wrong with the install.

i would restore your backup to get the phone working,and then check a couple things:
-make sure the rom you downloaded was for your variant(dont flash international rom on vzw or sprint versions,etc)
-check the md5 and make sure the download was good
-flash again,making sure to do the wipe data/facotry reset

you are s off,correct?

Upvote 0
Ok, much better evening. Up and running CM 10! Followed your suggestions, Scotty, and all checked out (md5 sum, s-off, etc). I tried again and it worked. My mistake was to reboot from the data wipe when I couldn't find the /sdcard/ folder. Flashing the rom has to be right after the data wipe, then all is well. I'm very relieved I didn't brick or lose root or something. Thanks again, Mike

Upvote 0
Ok, much better evening. Up and running CM 10! Followed your suggestions, Scotty, and all checked out (md5 sum, s-off, etc). I tried again and it worked. My mistake was to reboot from the data wipe when I couldn't find the /sdcard/ folder. Flashing the rom has to be right after the data wipe, then all is well. I'm very relieved I didn't brick or lose root or something. Thanks again, Mike

awsome! glad you are up and running :cool:

Upvote 0
It's running, but now I'm unable to get Windows 7 to recognize it. I have tried it with and without HTC Sync installed. I also uninstalled synch and ran drivers linked from Scotty (-install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)) Device manager sees "HTC One" with the yellow triangle. "Update driver" and rebooting, etc doesn't seem to help. Without this I can't move files (music, my dropbox titanium backup, etc) to the device, which is pretty limiting. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
It's running, but now I'm unable to get Windows 7 to recognize it. I have tried it with and without HTC Sync installed. I also uninstalled synch and ran drivers linked from Scotty (-install drivers: if you have htc sync installed,you should allready have drivers. if not,you can install htc sync,or install these modified htc drivers from revolutionary (driver mirror)) Device manager sees "HTC One" with the yellow triangle. "Update driver" and rebooting, etc doesn't seem to help. Without this I can't move files (music, my dropbox titanium backup, etc) to the device, which is pretty limiting. Any ideas?

are you trying to get adb working? or mount as a media device?

if youre trying to get adb working,youll need to tap the build number in settings/about phone in order to get the developer menu to appear in settings. you can then enable usb debugging,and it should work at that point. you shoulnt have to do anything special to get it working in fastboot.

if youre trying to mount it as a drive to transfer pics,files,etc, the couple times ive plugged in my newly aquired nexus 7 that storage doesnt pop up until i go to the plug in setting(cant member its exact location at the moment) and uncheck "mount as media device" and then recheck it. should be able to access that setting from the noticiation tab when you plug it in

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones