[International] Total newbie GSIII rooting confusion!!!

Last Updated:

1. 58beetle

58beetle New Member

Hi everyone im very new to the whole android OS and am really confusing myself with rooting. I'm one of the many who have converted from a jailbroken iPhone and much prefer the Galaxy S3. I'v searched and searched various forum etc but i dont wanna ruin my new phone, so onto my question......

I need to run ARLiberator to work with my cars appradio2 but this requires rooting i have a samsung GT-I9300 android version 4.1.2 with baseband I9300XXELLA i dont think i want to load a new rom as i dont want to lose all my data if im right in saying that.

Could someone please point me in the right direction of what i need to do as i dont really understand the differances in basebands etc

any help appreciated

many thank Paul

Advertisement
  2. 58beetle

58beetle New Member

Also forgot my phone is on Orange UK Network and boots with a samsung logo as iv read this can also make a differance?

Thanks
  3. silentwitness

silentwitness Well-Known Member

funkylogik and 58beetle like this.
  4. 58beetle

58beetle New Member

hi silentwitness i think i do from what i have been reading just a bit more complicated to me with all the different versions of the s3 available compared to my old iPhone, thanks for the link ill have a good read.
  5. silentwitness

actually speaking there are a couple of versions international and the us version which has many sub versions.
  6. dan55

dan55 Well-Known Member

hi Paul,

i know how you feel :D i was like that when i got my s3 at first - and after many months of lfashing roms on my desire, i was planning on not messing with the s3 .... but then it just happened! :D

its actually much easier than on the desire - initially based around using Odin pc software to root phone and install custom recovery - once that is sorted, you are then free to flash your first rom - i started with Wanamlite, as very stock - just flash that from recovery menu on phone - job done

im now using hybrid aosp rom called Codec - very good imo

good luck

cheers
    dan
  7. 2 Phonez

2 Phonez Well-Known Member

It's very easy on most Samsungs, they don't lock down their bootloaders like so many other OEMs, you just stick it in download mode, flash a custom recovery, then flash SuperSU basically.

You don't need to flash a custom ROM just to root but if you ever do get interested in that end of things you should check out xda-developers.
  8. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

Am i right in saying, as long as the device code ends in i9300 then any rom with that in it will be compatible no matter what letters are at the start?
  9. silentwitness

i think the letters at the start would be the same GT - the ending numbers change depending on the phone mode. The international version no matter where in the world u buy it model number is the same GT - I9300.
    funkylogik likes this.
  10. saltire

saltire VIP Member VIP Member

11. funkylogik

12. saltire

No bad bud. Nah, not a big football fan - rugby, F1, MotoGP, Superbikes more my bag mate.
  13. funkylogik

How does Google Now handle Scottish rugby teams mate out of interest?
    It just doesnt recognise SPL fitba teams but its fine with english and european teams. Im not hugely into any sport tbh but its annoying in principle :confused:
  14. silentwitness

i would have loved it if they had cricket scores.
  15. funkylogik

They dont?
    Cricket is NOT a major sport in my country by any means (much more of an upper class English thing) so i wouldnt know lol.
    Is it big in India mate?
  16. silentwitness

its like a religion here. People are totally crazy after cricket including me.
  17. saltire

Dunno mate, turn off G Now and have never used it as bit of a battery drain
  18. funkylogik

I gave it a chance but turned it off a few wks ago m8.
    It never once sent me a news card. Its very good for public transport though. It knows when youre at a bus stop without even having GPS on tells u bus numbers and times and even how long the journey should take.