1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

International/UK data issuesSupport

1. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member

I will be travelling to London in early May with my new HTC One!! This will be a US ATT phone. I want to be able to use Google Maps on a network and surf the internet. What is the best way to get a Prepaid Microsim and who has the best network for data in Metropolitan London? Thanks.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Aokusman

Aokusman Well-Known Member

You can buy a microsim at any shop for one pound. I used Vodafone when I was there, but not data. Check their website for data rates. I love traveling myself, and love the flexibility of gsm phones. Enjoy.
    marctronixx likes this.
  3. Wilkas

Wilkas Well-Known Member

The best for you would be three mobile, get the sim when you land and top it up with
    KOLIO and marctronixx like this.
  4. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I assume you'll need ATT to unlock the phone (unless it's the Developer Edition) in order to use a UK SIM in it.
    marctronixx likes this.
  5. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member

Thanks and thanks. Any problem with ATT unlocking my phone?
  6. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

I don't know what experiences ATT users here have had. Best bet might be to ask ATT themselves.
    marctronixx and jimbo1mcm like this.
  7. buzuddha

buzuddha New Member

I have a question about using a verizon 4g LTE SIM card from my samsung galaxy tab 7.7 data only plan. Basically, if you buy one of verizon's tablets, they will let you get data only 4g LTE service that is provided via a microSIM. I don't make many phone calls, and any that I do I could just make using VOIP.

So I activated the data only SIM in the verizon store, all the while telling them it was for my galaxy tab (they are very clear that they don't offer data only plans for smartphones). When I took out the SIM and plugged it into my new unlocked HTC one (I think it's the US unlocked version) the it says "preparing SIM" for a second, then nothing. No recognition of the SIM, no LTE bars, nothing. So is there a way to get the phone to recognize the SIM. Do I need to register the HTC one's IMEI# to the SIM? Is that even possible?

There are lots of accounts of people doing something similar with iPhone 5's from verizon, so this has to be possible.

Thanks for any help.
  8. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

It could have something to do with the HTC One possibly not supporting Verizon's LTE frequencies.
  9. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member

What you could do is #*#*4636#*#* and see if there is a phone number and current network listed.

If the sim cannot be read by the phone I suspect those would be blank values.
    I would imagine that at least the phone number in the sim would show up.

Edit: I just stuck a Verizon sim in and the number appears but the network name does not and it just shows "no service"
    It was an interesting thing to try out... but it's not going to work.
    I did try selecting other bands and stuff to see if I could trick it into working but nope...
  10. Spewy

Spewy Well-Known Member

New update released today for the sim free UK model. 1.29.401.12

Main fix is for the camera but also bluetooth issues have been sorted.

The update makes picture s more vibrant. Also zoe improvements, I have not tried those yet but pics are definitely looking better.
    scotty85, Fonzig and KOLIO like this.
  11. BubbaHotepUK

BubbaHotepUK Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads-up Spewy, downloading it now.

The update splash screen looks like this:
    2013-04-29 17.56.29.png
  12. toad6386

toad6386 Well-Known Member

My settings > About shows software version of 1.29.651.7. Are we yanks getting an update, too? Or did we get the updated software already?
  13. marctronixx

marctronixx Moderator Moderator

The U. S. will get this update later.
    toad6386 likes this.
  14. towg

towg Member

Strange. I'm in the UK and SIM free and the updates not showing.
  15. marctronixx

Nothing strange. Updates roll out in passes.
  16. SooooneR

SooooneR New Member

We don't have the new update. 1.29.***.12 The 3 digits are generally the Carrier. The first 3 and last 2 are the numbers of interest. .7 is Older than .12. Hope this helps.

You can check the web there is several before and after pics out there. The difference is a big improvement. From what I have read the sound is greatly improved. Be glad when the US gets this update. Great phone making it alot better.
    toad6386 and KOLIO like this.
  17. karrigan1

karrigan1 New Member

Hi
    Wondering if anyone can help.
    I have just purchased the HTC one, I use 02 so had to contact them to get the data settings as they dont supply them thru text.
    I have had 3 different sets from them and i have also contacted HTC for the settings but none of them seem to work on this phone. i get an error message saying wrong APN ?
    I can connect to Wi-Fi just not mobile network and also cant send/recieve mms
    Any advise would be great
  18. marctronixx

you have an issue with the sim and/or your account. only your carrier can help you. i suggest contacting someone over the phone and trying again.

the fact you can access thru wifi tells us the phone is working, so its your carrier that is causing the issue.
  19. karrigan1

karrigan1 New Member

thanks for the reply, i spent about 30 min on the phone with them and the suggested it may be the sim and to go to my local shop. was just hoping it would have been something else
    thanks again
    marctronixx likes this.
  20. marctronixx

after you return from the shop, update this thread so others who may have the same problem can see your solution..
  21. admob

admob Well-Known Member

Hi, ive just bought a ONE from ebay UK, it was locked to O2, it unlocked in 5 mins,, phone signal, texting and wifi work spot on, but the 3g wont connect. any ideas.... cant ring orange up at work... does anyone know if theres a network problem.. On the mobile network tab it says "service unavaiable", then says disconnected???

cheers...
  22. cookiesnfooty

cookiesnfooty New Member

Have you put the APN settings into the device?
  23. willie5094

willie5094 Member

A strange thing happened today, I was out of town with my HTC One connected to data which I get 3g in my home town, I looked at my phone when out in the country and there was an R above the phone signal icon on the top bar with a triangle on the left of the top bar saying that I may be charged for data roaming, I checked my settings and Data roaming is unlocked. What is happening, is there something in settings that I should be doing. I am with 3 in the UK with all you can eat data.
  24. admob

admob Well-Known Member

that page was blank... so i "reset to default". where do i get these setings from?? .. and there wasnt a field to enter anything?? cheers...
  25. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

Do 3 use any other network? Like Orange use T-Mobiles?