• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help International/UK data issues

jimbo1mcm

Android Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2010
I will be travelling to London in early May with my new HTC One!! This will be a US ATT phone. I want to be able to use Google Maps on a network and surf the internet. What is the best way to get a Prepaid Microsim and who has the best network for data in Metropolitan London? Thanks.

I will be travelling to London in early May with my new HTC One!! This will be a US ATT phone. I want to be able to use Google Maps on a network and surf the internet. What is the best way to get a Prepaid Microsim and who has the best network for data in Metropolitan London? Thanks.

The best for you would be three mobile, get the sim when you land and top it up with

Upvote 0
I have a question about using a verizon 4g LTE SIM card from my samsung galaxy tab 7.7 data only plan. Basically, if you buy one of verizon's tablets, they will let you get data only 4g LTE service that is provided via a microSIM. I don't make many phone calls, and any that I do I could just make using VOIP.

So I activated the data only SIM in the verizon store, all the while telling them it was for my galaxy tab (they are very clear that they don't offer data only plans for smartphones). When I took out the SIM and plugged it into my new unlocked HTC one (I think it's the US unlocked version) the it says "preparing SIM" for a second, then nothing. No recognition of the SIM, no LTE bars, nothing. So is there a way to get the phone to recognize the SIM. Do I need to register the HTC one's IMEI# to the SIM? Is that even possible?

There are lots of accounts of people doing something similar with iPhone 5's from verizon, so this has to be possible.

Thanks for any help.

Upvote 0
What you could do is #*#*4636#*#* and see if there is a phone number and current network listed.

If the sim cannot be read by the phone I suspect those would be blank values.
I would imagine that at least the phone number in the sim would show up.

Edit: I just stuck a Verizon sim in and the number appears but the network name does not and it just shows "no service"
It was an interesting thing to try out... but it's not going to work.
I did try selecting other bands and stuff to see if I could trick it into working but nope...

Upvote 0
Thanks for the heads-up Spewy, downloading it now.

The update splash screen looks like this:
2013-04-29 17.56.29.png

Upvote 0
My settings > About shows software version of 1.29.651.7. Are we yanks getting an update, too? Or did we get the updated software already?

We don't have the new update. 1.29.***.12 The 3 digits are generally the Carrier. The first 3 and last 2 are the numbers of interest. .7 is Older than .12. Hope this helps.

The update makes picture s more vibrant. Also zoe improvements, I have not tried those yet but pics are definitely looking better.

You can check the web there is several before and after pics out there. The difference is a big improvement. From what I have read the sound is greatly improved. Be glad when the US gets this update. Great phone making it alot better.

Reactions: toad6386 and KOLIO
Upvote 0
Hi
Wondering if anyone can help.
I have just purchased the HTC one, I use 02 so had to contact them to get the data settings as they dont supply them thru text.
I have had 3 different sets from them and i have also contacted HTC for the settings but none of them seem to work on this phone. i get an error message saying wrong APN ?
I can connect to Wi-Fi just not mobile network and also cant send/recieve mms
Any advise would be great

Upvote 0
Hi, ive just bought a ONE from ebay UK, it was locked to O2, it unlocked in 5 mins,, phone signal, texting and wifi work spot on, but the 3g wont connect. any ideas.... cant ring orange up at work... does anyone know if theres a network problem.. On the mobile network tab it says "service unavaiable", then says disconnected???

cheers...

Upvote 0
A strange thing happened today, I was out of town with my HTC One connected to data which I get 3g in my home town, I looked at my phone when out in the country and there was an R above the phone signal icon on the top bar with a triangle on the left of the top bar saying that I may be charged for data roaming, I checked my settings and Data roaming is unlocked. What is happening, is there something in settings that I should be doing. I am with 3 in the UK with all you can eat data.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones