International UseGeneral

Last Updated:

1. SPXisaDork

SPXisaDork New Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone used their Eris overseas for wifi?

I have tried shutting off network, roaming, always on etc but it still allows texting and phone calls.

I dont want to get surprised with huge data bills...

Transitioning from Blackberry to this phone and liked the ability to kill the entire radio feature on bberry.

thanks

Advertisement
  2. AirPirate

AirPirate Active Member

Very good question. I hope we get some feedback on this. I have used Win Mobile Verizon phones overseas on wi-fi, but I did not have a data plan at that time. I'll have the Eris with me next month in the Middle East, so I'll give it a try.

3. SPXisaDork

Great!

I do mostly Bahamas and Europe..a little Turkey and Mideast also.

I can live without the voice portion, just want to know if I can email/browse over wifi without any odd data charges showing up.

Also cant wait until a siimply skype app is avail that uses wifi.

4. samster

samster Well-Known Member

Turn off 'mobile network' and ask VZW to put a text/data/call block on your phone number. Then just turn on/off Wifi when you need and you basically have a nice PDA. I havent figured out how to turn off all connections and still have Wifi active, though so you may have to use a block from Verizon's end.

Unfortunate the Droid phones dont have SIM card slots like some other other VZW smartphones, they truly make it amazing to travel with, especially if pay-as-you go is cheap and popular in your destination country.

5. mj_b90

mj_b90 Well-Known Member

I just returned from a week in London using my Eris on WiFi only.
    If you dial *#*#4636#*#* then go to phone info, there will be a button that says turn radio off. Then turning mobile networking off in settings blocks 3g. Then you are free to turn WiFi on and off as you need.

6. samster

samster Well-Known Member

woah awesome! thx for posting the secret code lol

7. SPXisaDork

Great! Thanks!

Now - does anyone know an sms app that uses wifi?

8. BigDaddyFromCincinnati

BigDaddyFromCincinnati Well-Known Member

If you have a Google Voice # you could text via WiFi.

9. monkies

monkies Member

i'm going to london this week! what happens when you turn the radio off, instead of just disabling the mobile, and gps modes (leaving the wifi turned on only)?

does this mean i can only use the web browser and avoid getting charges for international phone/gps use?

10. cmonster

cmonster Well-Known Member

I am leaving tomorrow for Berlin for a week and am wondering what happens if I use the above code? Does turning radio off mean switching off cell signal and GPS thereby removing the risk of receiving data I could be charged for?

I assume this is not a permanent switch off. But does the button that comes up remain there or do I need to re-type that code or another code to be able to turn it back on when I get back to the US?

Is there anything else I need to do to make sure I don't get any crazy charges for international data/roaming short of keeping my Eris off all week?

Thanks,
    Charlie

11. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

There are some third party widgets called "OneClick Widget" (I believe that it is free) which includes an Airplane Mode widget that turns off the voice and data wireless radios but will leave WiFi on. I'd suggest using that instead.

[​IMG]

You really shouldn't need to worry about data charges in London - your phone will not find a CDMA signal, much less one with a roaming agreement with Verizon Wireless. That said, there is no point making your phone keep searching for a signal that it will never find.

12. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

Ditto the recommendation of OneClick Widget.

13. AirPirate

AirPirate Active Member

Just returned from a couple of months in the Middle East. Used WiFi exclusively and did not receive any extra data charges. I'm glad that I brought the Eris along as the hotel and most coffee shops had free wi-fi. Noticed that GPS location did not work. Maybe it requires a cell phone signal? This country also has CDMA, but I kept the cell phone antennae "off".

14. cmonster

cmonster Well-Known Member

Perfect widget. Just what I needed. Thank you.