• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [International] What's an "International" phone?

I aksed myself that question, and it came down to how many gig I needed rather than would like? My Samsung Note 10.1 has 8Gig on board and 32 ext, and that's plenty much even for a tab, the card is full of music just because the space is there!

On top of that Google drive give you a 10Gig free cloud, Mega give you 50Gig free on the cloud. I came to the conclusion that 32Gig is more than enough for me. 32Gig is actually about 25Gig once you take the OS into account. Interestingly though the usb storage menu is present on the phone, ghosted.

You'll find it a world away from the Desire, streets ahead of Samsung too I think, I'm not a fan of amoled screens now that I have lived with them both, tft is the best. Build quality is stunning too, it feels like a quality product in your hand.

Reactions: scotty85 and Hadron
Upvote 0
I don't think a US variant would work (fully) in the UK because of band differences.
One thing that I have not seen anyone do yet to my knowledge now that we have S-OFF is flash the T-Mobile radio onto the ATT/dev/WWE variant and vice versa... might work...

That said.. I don't think the EU will see the 64GB version since AT&T here in the states bought those out for their "exclusive" bs.

If we can confirm the radios are swappable or not he may be able to get an AT&T 64gb version sent to him and just flash it WWE...

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I'm in the UK, and the HTC One is marketed as as a quad band which mean it'll work world wide. I get HSDPE, HSPAP and UMTS, I know that's GSM but other than that I have no idea what all that means. I have plenty of towers around me I guess. I have been to HTCdev and they do ship to the UK.

@Hadron, I found you a 64GIG phone.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
If we can confirm the radios are swappable or not he may be able to get an AT&T 64gb version sent to him and just flash it WWE...

Thoughts?

with a CID change,you can swap any full ruu,theres no reason why you couldnt swap just the radios,although doing so may give you worse performance,unless you swap all the associated firmware. the days of old mtd devices haveing 6 or 7 images in the ruu where all you needed to do was swap out the radio image are over,lol... IMO you should not simply swap any one part of the phones firmware. anything from decreased performance to bricks could result :eek: tho the latter is prolly unlikely(within reason-dont swap gsm with cdma firmware or vice versa). swapping the radio without the firmware on rezound results in really flakey data,as an example.

att,t mo,developer,euro unbranded RUUs are all m7_ul and should intercahgne with no prollem,theoretically still functional LTE on your particular carrier.

ive run m7_ul ruus on my international m7_u with no perceptable side affects.

as soon as there is an available stock t mobile RUU,ill flash some other ruus and verify that the radio swapping works fine :p

Upvote 0
Well I am looking at this from a manufacturing standpoint.
I don't know that there has been a proper analysis of the boards from a u and a ul to determine if there are any actual hardware differences between them.

HTC would want to manufacture as many devices on a line as possible and if they can make the u and ul on the same line without retooling they would do so.
That's why I am wondering if the radio differences in the u and ul are all in software.

All phones these days have a software defined radio.
The hardware geek in me is curious.

It would be nice if you can turn an AT&T M7 into a T-Mobile M7, etc.
But yes.. it's probably wishful thinking. :(

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
My phone is SIM free, that means that I can put any ultrasim in the phone 3g, lte, DC-HSDPA. Surely that means the radios are compatible. If that seems like a layman's viewpoint to you, its because it is, I've lost the thread a while ago.

What were sort of going on about is that there are slight differences and some unknowns between US an worldwide variants.
For example, my AT&T phone will work with your sim because my phone is unlocked. It should also work the same way any device you get there should work but I am sure you would not appreciate the bloatware and other garbage we get. :rolleyes:

The conclusion is .. that it will work. :D
Some of us can get technical.. sorry about that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones