Internet and On a Call

Last Updated:

1. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

GSM allows us to browse and be on a call at the same time. The CDMA variant won't let you. Those of you who have it now, is that useful enough to tilt you one way or the other?

Advertisement
  2. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

while it was nice to be able to receive an email while on the phone, it didn't have much use for me.

3. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Personally never used a CDMA phone in my entire life, and I enjoy being able to browse websites while on a call (like having to google/wikipedia something up, or refer to an e-mail), so I'd rather not switch to CDMA.

4. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

Yep. I've yet to understand why someone would want a phone with so many multi-tasking capabilities, then put it on a network that limits those abilities.

5. funkdoctor

funkdoctor Well-Known Member

Well, you would weigh the options you had. Some people may not care about such things. So - better network or ability to use data while on calls? I think a lot of people are not going to choose the ability use data while on calls. I had AT&T, and this feature never came in handy for me. So, was it hard for me to make the switch to a network that had good service? Nope, did not think twice. Still wouldn't consider going back and have still have never had a use for data while on a call. Hopefully that explains it for you.

6. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

Not quite accurate... GSM (and EDGE) - does NOT allow simultaneous voice and data.... ONLY UMTS/HDSPA allows this... if you don't believe me, try it - set your phone to '2G only' and try to surf while making a speakphone call... can't be done...

7. mi_canuck

mi_canuck Well-Known Member

and i've used this feature many times... usually when on a call with tech support, or making a reservation or something like that, where you need to look up info - while talking to the person...

8. omeyga

omeyga Well-Known Member

Ditto....I use it all the time. Talking to someone and being able to look up movie times, etc. I just don't understand why someone would spend top dollar for a phone with all the capabilities if they're on a network that limits it. To each their own, but i wouldn't pay $529 for a 'superphone' if I couldn't use all the power it offered.

...Not trying to offend anyone as I hope everyone is happy with whatever network they're on.

9. CyberDroid

CyberDroid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good point .. I'm with the big V now, so I've yet to experience this, obviously. About to pull the trigger and not wait for the CDMA variant, despite the decrease in coverage. Austin should still be ok, though. Looks as though the kinks are being worked out or are just about worked out, including some of the customer service issues. In addition, the reported speeds heretofore don't seem to coincide with TMo's turning on HDSPA except in Philly or New York.
    http://androidforums.com/t-mobile/47023-lets-talk-about-t-mobiles-4g.html
    So obviously the ability to surf, browse and be on a call could be useful... and may just about sway me.