• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet browser cache state question

verve2008

Lurker
Nov 23, 2015
When you open internet in android, does the previous loaded page actually reload or is the cache state on your phone being shown?

Curious because when in airplane mode, the page data shows the previous content but only upon manually selecting refresh does the error message appear that there is no internet connection to re-load the data.

It depends on the pages, there are HTML tags that tell the web browser what to do when you open a page that you previously visited. Most of regular web pages can be cached by browser, but some pages expire immediately and require an Internet connection.
Thanks LVT, is there some way to identify if the page has a specification to require you to refresh/reload? I ask because this cache could be useful for me on some text pages so I could save and read the information even if in a dead zone where I cant get a signal.

Upvote 0
Most of modern websites are database driven so theirs page are dynamic, you can't predict their nature as the pages can be updated periodically and automatically.

The only reliable solution is to use app like HTTrack to save the website or a portion of it into static HTML pages so you can read it offline later.
Is there any way to test a webpage to see if it updates like you describe?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones