• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet browser issues

We just unboxed my wife's Samsung Replenish today. I have to say, I was impressed with the hardware - it seems solid.

However, the browser leaves some to be desired. She doesn't like the facebook app, and prefers to use touch.facebook.com, but when she puts this into the browser it forwards to m.facebook.com which does not provide the same functionality. I'm wondering if facebook identifies the screen size and forces it based on that.

Also, even though this is running Android 2.2, it does not seem to handle flash content properly. I know we all hate flash, but its a reality today. She went to Sit Means Sit Dog Training Schools and could not watch the video posted on their front page. I'm thinking its because of the way they have the video container posted, but she has no control over that and my Evo Shift 4G (also running android 2.2) loads the page fine.

It does not act differently in Dolphin, and Skyfire is listed as incompatible.

For an android phone to have crippled browser capabilities seems to be a concern to me.

I feel really stupid now. After further research, this phone does not support Flash. Whaaaaa? A phone running Android 2.2 that came out in 2011 that doesn't support Flash? Probably due to the 600 MHz processor, but who knows.

Another big miss on my part is that somehow I missed the memo that touch.facebook.com has gone the way of the dodo and now forwards to m.facebook.com.

All this was not for nought however, because the phone was still being aggressive about putting sites in mobile view, and this phone does not have a mobile checkbox like my shift. It turns out you have to put it in debug mode (Type "about:debug" in the browser) and then you can see a lot more options in the internet options, one of which is "UAString". Click this and choose "Desktop".

Upvote 0
I looked, and alas, Flash is not availible in the market.

I would not buy the Replenish for myself. I love the form factor (blackberry), but the lack of flash and slow processor speed are big turn off's for me. For someone like my wife however, who is mainly interested in phone calls, texting, email and a little internet, along with some simple games, it works fine.

Now what we need is a CDMA Dell Venue Pro with Android. That would be awesome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones