• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Internet Browsing while in a call?

novemberwhiskey

Android Enthusiast
Jun 23, 2010
Hey I am thinking of switching over to the DroidX from the iphone 3gs (ATT).

I was wondering if I will be able to browse the web via 3G while I am on a call. I read that due to CDMA tech, I will not be able to do this on Verizon.

Is this true, or is there a way around this (e.g. rooting)?

Thanks! :)

That's something that I could never understand. On my phone, while I'm on a call, I can go check something on Google really quick and get back to them. I'm able to do it on my Inc and was able to do it on my Samsung Omnia 2.

Do you mean you can do both at the same time? Or are you saying you hang up and check, and call them back?

Upvote 0
Also, does this mean you can't use the navigation (while driving) and the phone at the same time?

Let's say I am navigating somewhere using my DroidX, and I get a call. I see 2 scenarios playing out:

1. the route is already mapped, and I receive the call just fine.

2. the route is still calculating, or I need to be re-routed. The call is not accepted? Or the navigation does not re-route (i.e. access 3G) because I am in a call or receiving one?

Thanks for the clarifications. ;)

Upvote 0
Do you mean you can do both at the same time? Or are you saying you hang up and check, and call them back?

Well what I remember for sure when I was using my Samsung Omnia 2 was that I was able to call and search stuff on Bing (Omnia had a Bing widget, but horrible). I was calling around places for the PS3 Slim and while I was hold at one Best Buy, I was looking around Bing for the next number to call to check.

I know I was able to look up online stuff while on my Incredible but can't think of what I did exactly.

Upvote 0
Hey I am thinking of switching over to the DroidX from the iphone 3gs (ATT).

I was wondering if I will be able to browse the web via 3G while I am on a call. I read that due to CDMA tech, I will not be able to do this on Verizon.

Is this true, or is there a way around this (e.g. rooting)?

Thanks! :)

You can make phone calls and surf the web at the same time if you use Wifi, just not on VZW's network.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones