internet search button?

Last Updated:

1. bluebumfluff

bluebumfluff Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    Does anyone know if you can change the search provider when you press the search button when viewing the internet? I'm currently using dolphin hd and when using the search button it uses Google.com instead of Google.co.UK. thus giving American websites in results instead of .co.UK ones.

Advertisement
  2. Nodders

Nodders Well-Known Member

Good question, and it also applies to many Google apps (e.g. Goggles). Unfortunately, having asked the same question a couple of times, I got zero response, so I guess either its it so obvious that no-one bothers to reply, or they don't know. Which is a shame because it severely limits the utility of things like the search button or Goggles if you happen to not be in the US (there are quite a few of us Google) for the sake of what you would think would be a trivial addition

Summary: stealth bump

3. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Turn on the locate option under settings

4. bluebumfluff

Could you be more specific with the locate option. Do you mean locate then WiFi / gps? You must mean something else but I can't find it.

5. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

you cannot change it to my knowledge, you possibly can in froyo i'm not too sure.

6. bluebumfluff

Sorry, just found it. It was already turned on. This appears to be a dolphin hd issue. As the stock internet uses Google.co.UK instead of .com.

7. crashmeplease

crashmeplease New Member

The locate option only seems to be a helper for the google local tab. It will still go to google.com to fetch the results.

I also want to change the default behaviour so that it goes to google.co.uk, it would save me a lot of hassle.

Is there no app that can replace the search button function?

8. crashmeplease

crashmeplease New Member

My stock browser goes to google.com, no matter what I do, and I would like to locate the setting to change it to .co.uk but it doesn't seem that this is possible?

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

With locate on I get uk biased search results.

10. casper_g

casper_g Member

I have the same issue, in my case the localisation of search results seems quite patchy. One obvious stand-out example would be that if I search for, say, "micro usb cable" I get a web search results page that includes a sample of uk shopping results with prices in pounds. If I then click through to the shopping results page, they're US based with prices in US$! It's very annoying indeed.

11. deek0

deek0 Active Member

I had this issue with dolphin too. However it was bringing up Google in French. I managed to resolve this from the preferences within Google once logged in. Little fiddly as it was in french but got there. Make sure you restart dolphin hd afterwards. Not sure if this is the same issue your having.....