• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet sharing/tethering problem with 2.1

Hi all,

I've recently updated my Hero to 2.1 & am now unable to tether it to my laptop. It worked when I had the old firmware on the phone. I've installed the new version of HTC Sync but whenever I try to connect via the phone (after selecting internet sharing on the phone) it connects to "a network" but then the next link in the chain, a connection to the internet has a red cross through it. When I ask Windows to diagnose the fault I get the error message "DNS server isn't responding".

I'm on Windows 7 64bit if that makes a difference.

Any ideas?

hi all,

same here for Win7-32bit. on previous firmware (1.5) and bundled HTC Sync 2.0.8 everything worked just fine. after the FOTA update it's the same as gregoldridge wrote - the NDIS device installs just fine, but it has apparently no internet connection available (although I obviously can use the internet on the phone itself).
I have tried uninstalling both HTC Sync and the driver, installing again version 2.0.8, version 2.0.40, version 3 (presumably dedicated for Android 2.1) - it's just all the same.

any help would be appreciated.

cheers,
Alex

Upvote 0
I found a topic on the same matter on a polish android forum (HTC Hero Era G2 - po aktualizacji nie dzia?a jako modem. - forum.android.com.pl) - a couple of folks had the same problem and one of them was desperate enough to actually do the factory reset, and it turned out that it worked for him and for some other guy too. so maybe it is an actual solution after all. given that contacts and other stuff can be backed up, maybe it will not be so painful? (but it is still stupid, i know, i also would not like to do that)

Upvote 0
OK, I did it just a while ago - factory reset and reinstalling HTC Sync Wildfire 3.0 for HTC Hero (Android 2.1) works just fine on Win7(32b).
A hint: for backup of everything, including SMS/MMS, call history, phone settings and apps installed on your phone (unfortunately apps only, without their settings) I used myBackup - it's free for a 30 day trial, which is much more than is needed to backup - factory reset - restore.
good luck with that one,
A.

Reactions: gregoldridge
Upvote 0
Yeah I got a reply from HTC (below) & so did a factory reset. It HAS fixed the problem. Maybe I should just do as I'm told from now on.

Dear,

Yes usually a factory data reset is a last resort. But when it comes to internet tethering/sharing there is not must in the way of trouble shooting that I can do and if the phone is plugged in to the computer via the USB cable and you have then selected the internet tethering/sharing tab in you wireless and networks settings then it should work other then that there is not much more that can be troubleshot. Carrying out a factory data reset will reinstall the software and if there is a problem then this will fix it. We have had the same problem with some other Hero’s and carrying out a factory data reset has fixed the issue. When doing a factory data reset is dose erase most of the data and uninstall the applications on your phone, but once you have signed back in to your Gmail account all of the applications that you had on the phone will be stored in the download section of the market place, your text messages will be erased but there are some sms back up applications on the marketplace that will save a copy of all your text messages on to the sd card which I have found very helpful myself.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number.

Sincerely,

Michael

HTC

Upvote 0
I too was advised the same by HTC. It worked for a day or two, and now has the same lack of internet connectivity. I can still browse on my phone, but tethering only creates the network connection, but no further.

The windows 7 diagnostics suggest the DNS server is not responding. So they must have implemented some changes in the software that is interferring with the DNS.

Reset again? Or loose my only internet connection?

I am not impressed.

Upvote 0
Ok, I seem to have stable connection now, and neither T-mobile or HTC provided the solution.

The hint that led me here, was that when using Windows 7's network troubleshooter, I was informed that the DNS server wasnt responding.

When I had a connection, I used IPCONFIG /all to obtain the IP address of the DNS server.

I then entered the DNS server IP address into the TCP/IP V4 properties on the network connection on my laptop.

Previous to this, I had to reset every 2 days. So far I have not had to reset for about 7-10 days. It seems to have worked for some bizarre reason.

Just more info -
Both DNS and DHCP were on the same subnet, which suggested that DNS should be contactable/accessible, otherwise if not then the DNS daemon must have a software glitch.

So by specifying the IP address my phone should know where to look for the dns server. It worked.
So at this stage my conclusion is- whatever form of DHCP is leasing the IP addresses on the phone has some flakiness in it and it doesnt always define a IP address for the DNS server. Once this is manually specified in the TCP/IP properties the DNS server is contactable and routing of my traffic is fine.

Upvote 0
Hm, it looks like I am affected by this as well. Since quite some time now I am unable to use Internet Tethering over USB on any system. The PC gets the right IP addresses, but no internet connection can be established.

Though I don't think it's only DNS related? Even if I try to ping either the Phone itself (on 192.168.100.254) or try to ping/go to google.com directly via the IP (which does not require a DNS), no connection can be established.

The small system update that happened could be the culprit. I can't imagine anything else. So the only way to fix this is a factory reset? Will the update break it again in any case?

// forgot to add: in my case it's the HTC Wildfire, not the Hero

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones