Internet sharing

Last Updated:

1. ttx336

ttx336 Member This Topic's Starter

The Sprint CSR that I spoke with last night went through some settings with me but eventually she escalated the call and I was disconnected shortly thereafter due to a terrible connection... ironic, huh?

I just spoke with another Sprint CSR and once again I was told that there is no way to share the Internet connection with my PC, yet I see that there appear to be many people who are able to do this. The CSR said that some of the legacy customers were grandfathered in... is this the case? I am running OS 2.1 Update 1 according to Settings > About Phone > Software Information > Firmware version

I would REALLY like to have this capability when I travel... I don't need it here at home, but on the road, it would really help, especially in the airports.

I have searched Google and this forum and many others to no avail. There are several posts/articles about it but nothing has worked for me.

Thanks in advance,
    Gary

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Easiest way would be to root or use pdanet.

ttx336 likes this.
  3. ttx336

I will do some research on pdanet, I have only heard the name but know nothing about it. How does rooting help and what are the chances of rendering the phone useless by making a mistake in the process of rooting it?

Thanks for the quick reply,
    Gary

4. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

If you root you can get wireless tether for root users. Pda net is an app you put on the phone, and there is also some software that you have to put on your computer, it's fairly easy to use, and has also been used on an Xbox 360 to get on Live (phandroid has the story).

5. misplacetexan

misplacetexan Member

I did a simple root process, using unrevoked software at unrevoked (website to download directly to Hero) . Unrevoked is a simple way to root your phone, if you have no intentions of removing any of the Sprint loaded software. I then install android wifi tether at android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code . My Hero is currently updated 2.1. I have use my Hero as a wireless modem for my Gateway laptop. Good luck on what ever way you decide to root your Hero.:)

6. ttx336

Howdy neighbor, I'm in Pearland... small world eh? I took the advice that Kelmar first gave and Taterus Maximus reiterated and used pdanet... man was that ever simple. I started off with the trial version and will test if for the next few days but I fully intend to pay for it unless it begins to misbehave. I saw a download speed of well over 1Mbps and upload of about 350Kbps, which I thought was acceptable. Once I fired up Google and some other sites, I was quite surprised at the performance, it is very functional.

Thanks,
    Gary

7. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

If you need more help with any of this, let us know :)

8. Sixxx

Sixxx Well-Known Member

The connection speeds that your computer sees are directly related to how good your connection to the sprint network is right? Like i only have 2-3 bars at all times in and around my house so would i have a slower connection?

9. ttx336

I don't know. I only had two bars when I was getting that speed. I did see it go to 1.5Mbps down and a bit over 1Mbps up on another test but I didn't notice what kind of signal I had at the time.

10. oalvarez

oalvarez Well-Known Member

Can you explain how to use unrevoked? Do I just add it to my hero once i mount it? I've never rooted my phone...