Internet Tethering - Orange MobileSupport

1. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

I have a Compaq laptop running windows 7 and a Desire that I want to tether (via USB).

HTC sync (latest version) is installed, and I have checked with Orange who tell me my package allows this, but they don't support Android phones.

I have set the phone to Internet Sharing and its all enabled. The internet works fine on the phone.

The laptop recognises the phone and gives it network adaptor status, but not a lot else. I've tried to set it as a home, work or public network, but it never gets internet access. I've switched off my firewall (Dit Defender) which made no difference. The troubleshooter eventually states "The DNS server is not responding"

I can't find anything on the forums, so any tips or things I'm missing?

Advertisement
    :
  2. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Remember you only have a 500mb data limit!
  3. ScottW75

ScottW75 Member

Only on some tariffs?

Panther claims to be unlimited.
  4. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Unlimited on Panther - and as I can't access it atm, not really relevant!
  5. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Oranges fup for unlimited is 500mb ;)
  6. ScottW75

ScottW75 Member

According to other posters on here:

Dolphin is 500mb
    Panther is 750mb
  7. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Still not unlimited, and easily eaten on a pc!
  8. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Bump.

Fer cryin' out loud - please get this on topic. I'll worry about the usage if and when I get it tethered.
  9. chrisjb

chrisjb Member

I have unlimited on orange, and this really is unlimited (
  10. andrewpickup

andrewpickup Active Member

panthers fup is 1gb
  11. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

Is tethering enabled under settings?
  12. BenMcDougall

BenMcDougall New Member

Did you find a sulution to this Stucky ?

I am having this exact problem.
    Desire, Android 2.2, Orange UK, Windows 7 - Both USB tethering and Portable WiFi Hotspot connect ok but no internet access. However internet access and data work fine on the phone.

I have logged a call with Orange, who say they will contact HTC for advice ! Not holding my breath.

Any solutions... Please

B
  13. sausages

sausages Member

jondissed likes this.
  14. antmatz

antmatz Member

I'm on orange and have this working.

I have de-branded to stock HTC 2.2.
    Please note it takes some time to actually work, say 2-3 mins when i tried.
  15. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

It's Bit Defender - it just won't work, although I was able to get it working with the firewall disabled. On my Laptop I uninstalled BD and put AVG on and it works fine.
    After about three months of sending the entire settings for BD, Windows and just about everything else my PC has loaded on it to BD support I've given up.
    However, once Froyo is here you can tether your PC wirelessly to it using the wireless hotspot. I've debranded my phone and this works fine.
  16. BenMcDougall

BenMcDougall New Member

I get the same issues with the portable wireless hotspot function of 2.2 as well. Connects, gets an IP, just no internet access. Can even ping the ip of the gateway (which is the handset), so it look ok up to the handset but does not route traffic past that point !

I have Symantec endpoint secturty, so I'll try with that uninstalled and set if that helps !
  17. BarnumC

BarnumC Well-Known Member

Wasn't tethering discussed elsewhere here? Strictly against your T&C and you may well be 'billed!'
    Found this nice discussion about a
  18. BenMcDougall

BenMcDougall New Member

Tried removing all AV / Firewall / VPN software and still now joy.

Tetherting is not against our T/C's. I have used it before quite frequently. In fact the last phone I had (HTC Diamond) worked perfectly via USB and Bluetooth tethering !

Orange insist that its been activated on the account and should work.

Any other ideas please
  19. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

I had to use it the other day and, I'm afraid to say, it just worked. My WiFi client was an Amazon Kindle, but I can't see how that would matter.
  20. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Ben have you checked the Windows firewall isn't on as well (or switched itself on when you disabled your own)?
  21. BenMcDougall

BenMcDougall New Member

Hi Stucky, Yes I have made sure the windows FW was off. I have even tried it on other Windows 7 computers with no AV or FW's installed.

I think its time to give up and pay Orange for their mobile broadband dongle, which I am sure is what they want in the first place !!

Thanks though.
  22. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

Lst question and sorry to ask a bloody obvious one - you have installed HTC Sync?
  23. blakey

blakey Member

Anyone get any where with this?
    had a good go at orange over the wifi hotspot issue and they linked my phone to their system and confirmed that there was an error. A replacement arrived today BUT IT HAD 2.1 PREINSTALLED FFS. Downloaded froyo again and guess what - Wi-fi hotspt doesn't work over 3g and the bluetooth is playing up ! Back to square 1 :(
    Has anybody managed to solve this yet ?
  24. Stucky

Stucky Well-Known Member

I used an unbranded Froyo 2.2 and the hotspot works for me on Orange. I assume it something Orange have done to Froyo.
  25. fieldy

fieldy Member

Yes Orange have disabled Wifi hotspot and USB tethering in the Froyo update. On their @orangehelpers twitter account they say it is not supported and they will be bring out the service and 'packages' next year.....