• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Internet works, but wont browse

Android Version: 2.1-update1
Network: Three
Taskiller Used: No
Issue: Internet works, but wont browse

Hello All,

I am having a slight issue with my new lovely HTC desire. I love this phone, but there are a few annoyances that I'd love to iron out.

Mainly, browsing the Internet. All of my apps work fine, all of my widgets update correctly, Facebook works, the market place is open for business: everything appears fine. However, occasionally, when I open the browser (Google is my homepage) and after I have typed what I would like to search, I am unable to press 'enter'. The enter button on the keyboard does nothing. When pressing the little magnifying glass in the browser: nothing.

I have found a workaround by copying my text and pasting it into the search on the HTC Desire itself (with the bottom right hand button on the phone itself) and this searches the Internet no questions asked.

Am I the only one experiencing this problem? It usually happens when I try to show off to my friends that, like the Lawnmower Man, I have immediate access to the Internet to answer their questions. But I embarrassingly get stuck waiting for it to work, having to cut, paste... I am losing kudos here....

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated.

I get this occasionally with pages where hitting the login in or enter button appears to do nothing. My theory is that it only happens with recently visited pages and the browser must be loading them from cache rather than a new page.

Refreshing the page sometimes fixes it. If not you need to go into manage applications and force stop the internet (I usually clear cache as well at this point so it may be that which fixes it). Then it should all work perfectly when you restart it.

Reactions: Epicuriouz
Upvote 0
Thanks for the advice. I will try this the next time it happens. Although this tends to happen on pages I have not visited i.e. a new Google search. It only occurs about 20% of the time, but enough that it makes me think that it is probably more likely to do with other 'things' running in the background rather than an issue with the phone per se. Though I do think it should be more obvious... I could see this phone being a nightmare for someone with no technical nous at all.

I will have to wait for it to happen again before I can test your theory. It usually happens when I am trying to show somebody (...grrrr!...) and I have been unable to properly sit and work through it.

Upvote 0
Further looking has found that I am not the only one with this issue, and the same thing occurred to me as snowmobile described. His method does work, but it is a pain.

I therefore opted for another browser, I tested both Opera and Dolphin last night and much preferred the Dolphin Browser, I suggest this for anyone having the same difficulties. The only downside so far is that it doesn't play embedded videos but this is circumvented by clicking on the video, giving you the option to watch the video in a separate window.

Anyway, slightly off-topic, but I hope this helps people who come here with the same issue I had.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones