• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Intro..Retired Old Geezer (78) gets Droid X on 8/4/10

Never had a Smart Phone before, just a regular Motorola Cell VU204, AND I'm NOT a "techy kind of guy":eek:, just know enough to get by on the cell and my Lap Top.

Looking forward to receiving the "X" on Wednesday. (NOTE: the Verizon Rep said it would come with "the 2.2 OS & the 1.13.604 upgrade". I Have a LOT to learn:)...have ordered the book "DROID for DUMMIES" from Amazon...won't get it for about 6 weeks. Re Accessories: I have ordered: a Car Charger & HDMI Cable (from Verizon); and have ordered from another source: a Bean Bag Dash Board Mount for the phone; a Horizontal Belt Case; a couple of Screen Protectors and a 2 pc Hard Case...... Do I need anything else?

Have read some comments on the internet about "poor battery life".....so I have a question. Is it adviseable to give it an Initial Full Charge...then drain it all the way down...then Full Charge again. It is my understanding that this will prevent "establishing a false 'memory' in the Battery... Any comments or suggestions, please.

#2 Question:

I'm going to be taking a two week auto trip in the near future:D.... Let's say I want to use the Navigation application almost every day while driving, say for 6 to 8 hours continous. Should I use the Navigation app for 2 hours or so by just running it off the battery, AND then plug in the Car Charge for the rest of the driving day???, OR plug it into the Car Charger right away when I start out in the morning???, OR What???

Thanks very much for any suggestions, comments etc.

P.S. If this lengthy post should be moved elsewhere, please do so. Thank you.

No problem.. if you keep the charger on hand or keep it plugged in for the trip.. .Also, I'd let it charge when you get it. They say you don't have to, but I do. I find it mostly charged when I get them new, anyway. My X's battery was at 80 % when I plugged it in to charge.

On Thursday I'll be a 52 year old geezer.

Welcome to Android Forums! :)

PM me if you need anything, bro! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones