Intro To Kernels

Last Updated:

1. paintball31390

paintball31390 Member This Topic's Starter

I need help with understanding kernels, so far all I am able to find is that I need to find out what kernels work with my phone through trial and error because even if its the same phone a kernel may work for one person but not another. So to understand what a working kernel actually is like, I need to know what apps I need in order to see the product of an installed kernel. I know they have to do with getting the fastest processor speed, while getting the longest battery life, while getting the least amount of heat from the phones battery and processor.
    I figure to know if a kernel is cooperating well with my droid I need to know what is a normal battery/processor temperature for the motorola droid1? and what are kernel slots? what are standard/med/low voltages? ...I figure battery life is up to me to decide if it is good or not.

Can anyone answer these questions?

Advertisement
    joyous007 likes this.
  2. paintball31390

paintball31390 Member This Topic's Starter

Well no replies yet, but I kept trying and I believe I got lucky because on my second kernel choice I got it right, or at least I think so.

I am using Lithium Mod v1.0.12 w/ blueberry theme by Jrummy16 w/ P3Droid's v2.6.32.9 125-1200mhz Standard Voltage - With this kernel my phone's battery temperature stays around 30c (86f) This is while running at 1200MHz whenever the screen is on. also it has been 11 hours exactly since I unplugged my phone this morning and my battery life is at 30% that is with GPS enabled all day long, and 2 hours on the phone.
    I used SetCPU to get my battery temp info, and set my overclocking, from what I understand SetCPU is one of the easiest apps if you wish to overclock using a kernel.

Something I came across looking through these forums for my answers said that a good rule of thumb for battery temperature is that a kernel that cooperates well with you're phone should stay under 49.8c (120f)

joyous007 likes this.