1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Introducing the coming Android strategy game - Rising Empires

1. Netherlords

Netherlords Well-Known Member

Hi!

We've now presented the fourth of the six races that populate the Rising Empires universe - the Greenskins. Greenskin is a collective name for a couple of races living in the caves below the earth. The most common of these are the Goblins, the Orcs and the Ogres:
    [​IMG]
    Their racial description can be found in this post on our forum:
    Greenskin racial profile

Follow the development of Rising Empires on Google+. Add us to your circles!

Cheers!
  2. Netherlords

Hi!

Attached is a screenshot with an improved list for selecting technologies. We have a lots of news in this weeks 'Weekly update'. Both from the new alpha test that we are running and new stuff in the game itself:
    Weekly update

Next week we'll also present the next race - Humans... :cool:

I hope you all have a good weekend!

Attached Files:

3. Netherlords

Hi!

Nina, our 2D-artist, has now completed most of the terrain graphics for the Surface and we are very satisfied with them. A few small additions will still be made, like rivers and coastlines. There is actually a couple of rivers on the map but they aren't showed yet... We are looking forward to see her complete the graphics for the Netherworld soon.

We've also added an image gallery on our website.

I hope you like them!

Attached Files:

4. Netherlords

Hi!

Humans are the fifth race in Rising Empires to be presented and they are, well, humans...
    [​IMG]
    Human racial profile

Cheers!
  5. Netherlords

A new issue of the Norberg bulletin has been published. In this issue we discuss our experiences from the new alpha test:

Just in time for the one year anniversary of the Rising Empires project we started our first ‘real’ play test of Rising Empires. A lot has been happening during 2011 and although progress hasn’t been as quick as we originally thought we are getting closer to completing Rising Empires. Or to quote Johan J, “The game is fully playable but some parts are not complete yet, there are hints around the game of missing functionality.” This issue, the eleventh, of the Norberg bulletin is a report of the first 20 turns of the play test...

The bulletin can be downloaded at the Rising Empires forum:
    Norberg bulletin - Issue 11

Cheers!
  6. Netherlords

The sixth and last of the races in Rising Empires is also the most unhuman of the lot - the insectoid Krant:
    [​IMG]
    Krant racial profile

Cheers!
  7. Netherlords

We have now started the first small beta test of Rising Empires. Read more at our website.

Johan and I hope you all have a very good weekend!
  8. Styrisvps

Styrisvps Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting**** but i could use a few screenshots
  9. Netherlords

We have a gallery with screenshots taken during the development of Rising Empires on our website. There you can see how the game has developed, new graphics added and follow as new features are added.
  10. Netherlords

What news from Rising Empires?

The beta test continues and we've received very good input from our play testers. It will run for two more weeks before we end it for a final evaluation. Our play testers seem to enjoy playing the game, even though it's still unfinished and lacks some important features. Johan and I are working hard to continue developing the game.

For lengthier reports, screenshots and more please visit our website or our Google+ page.

Cheers!
  11. Been lurking and following this one, very interested in seeing how it turns out. Best of luck wrapping it up in beta.
    Netherlords likes this.
  12. Durians

Durians New Member

Sounds cool, can't wait to try it
    Netherlords likes this.
  13. Netherlords

Hi!

We are now in the last days of the beta test (it will end tomorrow). Johan and I would like to thank our play testers. Your help and input during the beta has been very important for us and we hope you have enjoyed playing the game. A number of your suggestions for improvements is being implemented.

This monday we also released beta version 5 of Rising Empires. There is plenty of goodies in this version, one of them is more functionality in the diplomacy view, small settlements can now build more buildings, technology information when you select research projects (see attached screenshot) and more.

The question now arises how we'll proceed from here. The first beta is about to end. Johan and I believe that we'll need to do one more closed beta before we open up Rising Empires for a big test. Partly because Johan and I are behind schedule and partly since there has been some changes that must be tested further.

The second beta will differ from this beta as all empires will start with a bunch of technologies (i.e. it will be possible to build fleets and cavalry from the first turn). If you are interested in participating in this beta please send a mail to 'peter.norberg@gmail.com' and register on our forum (all beta discussions will be there).

Winnie-the-Pooh, wise as he is, says that 'Nobody can be uncheered with a balloon'. My Dwarven empire Darkmoor has built a few flying balloons in the beta and let me tell you, Winnie-the-Pooh know what he's talking about...

That's all for today. Please visit our Rising Empires google page and add us to your circles. And don't forget to +1 and like us on the front page. Thank you!

Attached Files:

14. louisa9

louisa9 Member

[FONT=&quot]Its sure that I'm gonna try this today. [/FONT]
  15. Netherlords

Hi!

It sucks when you can't get your daily fix of Rising Empires. Johan and I are currently doing the last changes in some classes in order to start a new 'in house'-test. I am really looking forward to be able to play the game again. Lots of the stuff we've been doing have been to prepare the code for the religious system and start to implement Heaven.

The religious system is complex to implement as many features will differ from the other two levels, the Surface and the Netherworld. Also, religious power must be calculated regularly to update the bonuses each religion type gives to its followers. A lot is going on but unfortunately not much to show or tell you about.

Our aim is to publish the next issue of the Norberg bulletin next week. It will summarise where we are and how we look at the future.

Want to to know more? Please please visit our website or our Google+ page.

Cheers!
  16. Netherlords

A new issue of the Norberg bulletin has been published. In this issue we discuss our experiences from the first beta test:

Welcome to issue 12 of the Norberg bulletin. Time flies by, and the first beta test of Rising Empires has ended. Our beta testers have come up with many good suggestions and ideas; some of them have already been added to the game. Heaven, where gods make war upon each other, is also discussed briefly.

The bulletin can be downloaded at the Rising Empires forum:
    Norberg bulletin - Issue 12

Cheers!
  17. Evangelinea

Evangelinea Guest

It's a good android game, hope to see more and more games.
  18. Netherlords

Hi everybody!

In about a weeks time we'll start our second beta test of Rising Empires. If you're interested in participating and helping us testing and evaluating Rising Empires we would be happy to have you with us.

It's required that you have an Android device (it's after all an Android game ;)) and that you participate in the discussions regarding the game that comes up on our forum.

How to join? Register at our forum (Rising Empires) and let me know your forum id. I'll then add you to the reference group. In the reference group you can find all the details about the beta test. If you're still interested you sign up by answering a few question in the thread names 'Second beta test - playtesters'.

Cheers!
  19. Netherlords

Hi!

We still need 2-3 more playtesters for our beta. Then we would reach 12 empires making it two of each race which would be a good amount of positions for this beta test.

The test will start on Monday with 1 turn/weekday and end july 20th.

Cheers!
  20. Penitel543

Penitel543 Active Member

hi,

any updates? how's the test going?
    Netherlords likes this.
  21. Netherlords

Thank you for asking. The beta continues as planned and we've now played 10 turns (2 weeks). The setup has forced all empires to build lots of fleets in order to move troops and settlers from their capital. All empires combined has built 68 fleets with some 279 ships... :)

The beta will run for at least 4 more weeks (20 turns) and we believe we'll see plenty of action before the end. The player of one empire has decided to not participate and if you are interested in taking over this position please let us know (reply to this post or send a PM).

I spent last weekend in Gothenburg with Johan and a couple of friends, incl. Glom which is our main game tester. Johan and I discussed how we are going to proceed with implementing the last features in Rising Empires. Rising Empires is, in its current version, a complete game but we want to add more diplomatic options as well as the Heaven level before we release it. The first we will add is non-aggression pacts allowing empires to be more friendly towards each other.

We have also designed a new research view and removed the research selection from the empire menu. Research is such an important feature in Rising Empires and we believed it needed its own view where all data on technologies can be reached.

If you're interested in Rising Empires and it's development please support us by visiting our website or our Google+ page and +1 us.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

22. Netherlords

Hi!

This will be the last update before my summer vacation. Only one more day and I will turn off my computer (and my brain) for three weeks! Johan will take a break from Rising Empires during the same period. We'll start working with Rising Empires again in mid-August when we're also going to have a large meeting to discuss the game.

Tomorrow we'll run the last turn of the beta test. We've sent out a questionnaire with a couple of questions to our play testers and are eagerly awaiting their replies. We've already received some answers but we hope to get a few more. Overall I must say that this beta test has progressed very well. The routines for downloading results and uploading orders have been flawless, the bugs and errors that were found could be fixed and we've managed to implement non-aggression pacts.

The last weeks have also been very interesting for me as I've learned a couple of new algorithms and possibilities when writing code. This has allowed me to re-think some ideas that Johan and I had and more practically it also means that I've started on our map generator! It's far from finished but it can create mountain ranges (see attachment) as well as the starting area around the capital.

I'll continue with the map generator when I get back from vacation. My idea is to make it able to create good Surface maps first and then start to look at the Netherworld which I believe will be more complex to create.

I hope you're all having a couple of good summer weeks!

Attached Files:

23. Netherlords

Hi!

Johan visited me this weekend and we had plenty of time to discuss Rising Empires and even write a few lines of code. One or two beers went down as well... We had very good discussions and talked through the last features that we need to complete before we can publish Rising Empires on Google Play. These discussions were detailed as we talked through each step of, for example, the process when setting up a new empire. We also took the opportunity to discuss stuff like price levels on subscriptions. The next time we'll meet 'in person' to discuss Rising Empires will be in the middle of September.

All new empires will start in a trial (or test) world where they can play up to 20 turns (with one turn each day this equals a month) for free and without encountering any other empires. Yes, that's right, no interaction between empires is possible during the trial period. During this period players will be able to start developing their empires, explore their neighbourhood, research technologies and build military companies. Then, when the player start his first subscription, his empire (and starting map) will be transferred to the game world. After 20 turns of game play his empire will be prepared for encountering neighbouring empires...

We also had time to work a little on the code and it's now possible to create empires in the app. When the player (i.e. you) have selected race and religion type as well as entered name and password the empire is created together with a starting map. Then the player can issue his first set of orders immediately and do not need to wait for us to process a new turn. When the player uploads his first set of orders details about the new empire as well as the starting map is sent to our server allowing us to add the empire to the game world. I'll post some screenshots of the 'Create empire' screen when Johan has tidied it up a bit. We also got some work done on the map generator (see screenshots) and it's near completion. The only thing remaining is to create corridors between the different caves and to add rivers.

All in all we were very satisfied with the weekend.

Cheers!

Attached Files:

24. silvercue

silvercue Active Member

I am new here, but read through this thread with interest. I have been keen on fantasy books, films (though there are only a few good ones) and games for over 20 years.

I was wondering where you have drawn inspiration for this game from as there is clearly a deep mechanic behind the graphics. What games really, rather than books - and I include non computer games in that. Have you played D&D, Ultima Online, Magic, Civilisation etc?
  25. Netherlords

Hi silvercue,

There are two games that has inspired Johan and me when creating Rising Empires more than anything else. It's civilisation (the whole series of games) and Sword of the Stars (the first of the two). But one might wonder why this mix became a fantasy game and that's because of the influence of the writer Steven Erikson.

I've spent the major part of my life playing rpgs and board games and although they haven't inspired us as much as the above they certainly has influenced us during the process.

Best regards,

Peter