• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introducing the HTC EVO 4G. What can you do with 4G? Coming summer 2010.

no trackpad/trackball is a bit of a let down.... as a Nexus user, I use the trackball a lot... it's quite useful once you get used to having it... and especially with such a large device like the EVO, having a pointing device (be it optical trackpad or mechanical trackball) makes a big difference in one handing the phone.... palming it with one hand, using your thumb to reach the top of the screen isn't all that efficient...

Upvote 0
because Sprint sucks... and like I said, I like having a SIM in my phones, so I can easily and painlessly swap to another device I have... for a spare, for when I don't want to bring my smartphone to a risky place (concert, bar, ski slope, etc.)... my hatred of CDMA will overcome my desire for the Evo 4G... :p

besides, there will be a time when this thing will have a GSM/LTE cousin.... just waiting for that day... :D
You're right, 2012 :D

why do skype on iphone when you will probably be able to skype VIDEO CALL on this ?!?!?!?
Damn, good point.

TS out

Upvote 0
this pic makes the Desire's AMOLED look so much better... although just goes to show how nice and huge the Evo's screen is! :D

this is indoors though... would like to see a similar shot of both outdoors...

htc-evo-hd2-desire-ctia-10-sm.jpg

Upvote 0
one of the most interesting features on the EVO 4G is the "front facing 1.3MP camera"... video calling/chat/IM finally a possibility??

HTC EVO 4G Specs Published By Sprint | Android Phone Fans

of course the WORST feature is : "NASCAR Sprint Cup Mobile(SM)" .... I guess the rednecks will be happy...
Front facing camera --> kick stand. Unless you want to hold the phone the whole time you conference.

Also, just to make a point, I don't hear Sprint customers complaining about Sprint. It's the Verizon subscribers that bash Sprint. I guess they're jealous because Sprint had Android before they did. Sprint's network is very good and if you have to roam, you'll be on Verizon towers. Sprint's customer service has been excellent as far as I'm concerned and their plans are a lot cheaper than Verizon's plans. Add free mobile-to-any-mobile and the EVO 4G and you have a win win situation. If you're lucky enough to have WiMAX coverage in your area (which we all will soon) you will have speeds on your EVO 4G that rival DSL and Cable speeds on your home computer.

At CTIA today, the President of AT&T said they wouldn't have LTE for 3 or 4 years. It's believed that Verizon won't either (but they don't have a keynote at CTIA this year to tell us so). Verizon did announce a couple of weeks ago that they would have a 4G phone by the middle of next summer. By then, we'll have the next generation EVO. Sprint was smart when they started working on WiMAX 5 years ago. They started deploying it in 2008, so they have a huge head start. None of the other carriers in the US have even started deploying 4G yet.

It seems to me that the smartest thing you could do is go with Sprint. The way I see it, they are going to get a lot of their customers back. Especially the ones that left for AT&T and the iPhone (just my opinion).

Upvote 0
no trackpad/trackball is a bit of a let down.... as a Nexus user, I use the trackball a lot... it's quite useful once you get used to having it... and especially with such a large device like the EVO, having a pointing device (be it optical trackpad or mechanical trackball) makes a big difference in one handing the phone.... palming it with one hand, using your thumb to reach the top of the screen isn't all that efficient...
I don't need to be picking on you, but if you look at the videos of the EVO where they're showing the keyboard, you'll see arrow keys like on your desktop computer, so you don't need the stupid track ball.

Upvote 0
I saw this device last night and I fell in love! It looks amazing, has HDMI out...on a phone. Thats simply awesome. Full 720p video capture as well. I need never carry a camcorder or camera again.
I'm in the UK so I'm going to be eagerly awaiting it's release over here, or in America so I can ship one over. Lets hope some other carrier gets it as well though or I'm screwed.

I only purchased my N1 about a month ago but I'd swap for this without question. :D

Upvote 0
I don't need to be picking on you, but if you look at the videos of the EVO where they're showing the keyboard, you'll see arrow keys like on your desktop computer, so you don't need the stupid track ball.

it's ok... i understand that you're just a sprint fanboi... if you want to talk about stupid, just look at those massive arrows on the Evo's keyboard...

Upvote 0
I saw this device last night and I fell in love! It looks amazing, has HDMI out...on a phone. Thats simply awesome. Full 720p video capture as well. I need never carry a camcorder or camera again.
I'm in the UK so I'm going to be eagerly awaiting it's release over here, or in America so I can ship one over. Lets hope some other carrier gets it as well though or I'm screwed.

I only purchased my N1 about a month ago but I'd swap for this without question. :D

Do you have any CDMA networks in the UK?
I'd love to have this phone, but the way I see it, I'll get the Desire and when that one is old and grey, something even better will be available for me :)

Upvote 0
Okay, what i am about to throw out here, is in a way...
scary (cause, I've been blind all this time)
exciting (cause, it would mean I found heaven in a phone) and
(insert any over used, expletive thoughts here)

but correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the chip in the EVO, (8650) the multimode version of Snapdragon, not CDMA only but also may work for umts/gsm abroad.
thus making this a world phone. (i think i am going to faint)

The Snapdragon Platform

The QSD8x50 platform consists of the QSD8250

Upvote 0
mi_can, I'm happy for you. Since you're not interested in the EVO any longer I guess we won't be hearing anymore from you. At least you have the N1.

i'm very much interested in the EVO... i may even just to Sprint for it, provided by that time there is a ROM and rooting solution... which i'm sure xda will deliver... :D

you'll just have to get used to me... :p

Upvote 0
a little dismayed by what looks like a flopping down stand in this vid (from engadget)... granted it's demo model, but still... will it over time, become loose and flop down... a major snag risk to say the least...

at about 0:06:

Viddler.com - HTC EVO 4G hands-on - Uploaded by engadget
My guess it that it probably snaps into place when not in use. If it didn't, it would be terrible if you wanted to pocket it. Obviously, in that video, the stand wasn't parked the way it should have been.

Upvote 0
Not liking that stand, I'd rather have a stand-alone stand (no pun intended)
Not everyone is going to want this as some kind of landscape media viewer.

Also, not sure about CDMA in the UK, probably not though. Surely they will release this as a normal GSM model though. I really don't care about the 4G also, I have no need for high speed mobile internet on the go as most of the time I have access to a wireless network and 3G is plenty fast enough for me.

Roll on the UK release :D

Upvote 0
Not liking that stand, I'd rather have a stand-alone stand (no pun intended)
Not everyone is going to want this as some kind of landscape media viewer.

Also, not sure about CDMA in the UK, probably not though. Surely they will release this as a normal GSM model though. I really don't care about the 4G also, I have no need for high speed mobile internet on the go as most of the time I have access to a wireless network and 3G is plenty fast enough for me.

Roll on the UK release :D

do other US carriers use GSM? That way if they were to release the phone for those carriers it would also work in Europe.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones