1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Introducing the new Android Runtime - ART

1. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

Ever since the news just prior to the Nexus 5 release that Google had been working on acquiring a company (FlexyCore) specializing in precompiling and optimizing apps, there's been a lot of myths and fantasies floating around about Dalvik changes in Android.

Turns out, there's a bit of an Easter Egg hiding in Developer Options - ART -

http://gigaom.com/2013/11/06/google...-potential-replacement-for-dalvik-in-android/

It's experimental and incomplete but it's there to play with if you like.

http://source.android.com/devices/tech/dalvik/art.html

I recommend a good backup before tinkering, check out Helium Backup if you're not rooted.

Warning - this IS a developer option.

Enjoy. :)

Advertisement
    :
  2. cptnobvious999

cptnobvious999 Active Member

I have been using ART for 2 days on my N5, everything runs amazing though honestly it probably would on Dalvik too :) I'll switch back if I run into any stability issues though.
  3. LaFlavor

LaFlavor Well-Known Member

Switched over on mine yesterday and I've yet to see anything even remotely like a problem.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  4. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-) VIP Member

To take full advantage of this, do you need to factory reset and reinstall apps. I am under the impression that ART works in part by doing something when the app installs, but this is a bit over my head. Probably won't be trying until I am sure how everything works normally on the N5, but I'm curious. Then again, this phone is so damn fast I'm not sure I would notice the difference. ;)
    sandipagt1975 likes this.
  5. Biaviian

Biaviian Well-Known Member

I still can't get over the speed.
    sandipagt1975 likes this.
  6. EarlyMon

When the Dalvik is clear, it updates at boot up.

According to the Android Police article, ART works the same way; they warned that boot up could take some ten minutes to compile your existing apps.

Thereafter, apps are compiled when installed, just as the Dalvik cache is updated when apps are installed.

Based on that, a factory data reset ought not be required.
  7. Twin Prime

Twin Prime Well-Known Member

I've been running it for 2 days; no issues so far. Correct, factory reset is not required. It just needs to reboot. It goes through its "Android is updating" routine. From reboot, to up and running, it took 8 minutes.
    sandipagt1975, EarlyMon and Gatman like this.
  8. cptnobvious999

cptnobvious999 Active Member

Today I finally ran into my first set of issues. Dead Trigger 2 and Kingdom Rush Frontiers both crash on ART. I switched back for now, seems like games aren't built to work with it yet.
    funkylogik, alostpacket and EarlyMon like this.
  9. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

Very cool. I always thought "Just In Time" was a misnomer :p
    EarlyMon likes this.
  10. EarlyMon

We used to simply call it run time compiling.
  11. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Been running it for about 24 hours now.

Haven't had any issues yet, but I've read of greenify and titanium backup incompatibilities.

Same goes for custom kernels. If your a tinkerer, its probably best to leave it be until devs get more time with it.

Its been reported this has been worked on over the last 2 years, so is it safe to assume it isn't something flexycore was in on (at least until recently)?
    funkylogik and EarlyMon like this.
  12. EarlyMon

Google engineers have been in talks with FlexyCore people for the last year.

Google said their engineers did this - thanks to the acquisition, FlexyCore's engineers are Google engineers.

FlexyCore stated in 2010 that they were compiling apps into native code (and demonstrated it, I can post a YouTube on that), and that their target was the OEM level, not end users, for revenue.

I could be wrong, but I don't see how this wouldn't be at least a piece of FlexyCore's DroidBooster.
    Rxpert83 and alostpacket like this.
  13. alostpacket

Certainly sounds like it fits the bill
    EarlyMon likes this.
  14. EarlyMon

I noticed that some of the blogs are talking as if replacing the Dalvik VM changes everything.

I don't buy it.

We still need Android task management as well as intents and defaults.

Not sure where that's happening but I suspect that there's more to this than some bloggers are suggesting.
  15. alostpacket

Indeed there is a limit to any optimization. And some stuff just has to be done at runtime.

I wonder if some of the aggressive compression AAPT does could be one place they might be able to gain performance. i.e. I wonder if another one of the optimizations might be uncompressing the resources like PNGs to the bitmap format the device's screen supports like ARGB_8888/ALPHA_8/RGB_565 etc.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  16. EarlyMon

Indeed.

It makes sense that this would save time loading apps.

Prior to this, Google's position has been that, aside from anything computationally intensive, native code holds no advantage over Java.

Source for that, the NDK, emphasis from Google -

http://developer.android.com/tools/sdk/ndk/index.html

alostpacket, drbugsmn and Rxpert83 like this.
  17. Rxpert83

It only takes a reboot to go back and forth, so if you've got anything specific you'd like compared I'll see what I can do :)
    funkylogik and EarlyMon like this.
  18. EarlyMon

Please try your favorite monitor - something like Quick System Info Pro will do - and let's see if anything stands out at a zero-level check.

In QSIP, Processes tab, note some memory sizes of favorite apps run both ways (make sure Show Memory Usage is checked under Preferences from that tab/page).

QSIP also allows you to place a memory-used notification in your task bar and start that at boot-up - see Preferences from the main page, Task Killer Notification.

Check memory free after a reboot and some reasonable settling time - you decide, 10 minutes maybe - for both configurations.

Final point is anecdotal, but check that memory pull down while trying to run some things in the same way (not terribly important for a first look - refresh gmail, visit our home page and search for something in the Play Store for example).

That will tell us two things on a very rough sampling - individual app memory used in a few cases and free memory while running.
    alostpacket likes this.
  19. Rxpert83

I'll have some free time to tinker tomorrow AM, I'll do that and get back to you then. :thumbup:
    funkylogik and Gatman like this.
  20. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Has anyone done this yet? I'm reading how it helps speed things up over using Dalvik. Still don't really know what it does. Just did it on my Gnex running Shiny's 4.4 ROM.
    To do it, head into Developer Options and swap over Dalvik to ART. Some are reporting FC's though so tread softly.

Edit: Heads up, if you have a lot of apps and you enable it, the reboot takes a LONG time. It's not bootlooping, just swapping all the cache over.

2nd Edit: Some reading here:
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...-in-secret-for-over-2-years-debuts-in-kitkat/
    (FYI, I have 172 apps and it's coming up on 10min to optimize them and still not done)
    funkylogik, alostpacket and EarlyMon like this.
  21. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

Okay, reading helps! :eek:
    Do not do this on a custom ROM. Everything crashes. :eek:
    alostpacket likes this.
  22. LoyalServant

LoyalServant Well-Known Member

I had stability issues with a lot of my apps so I had to go back to dalvik. It was really fast tho.
    alostpacket and EarlyMon like this.
  23. alostpacket

Interesting point about the NDK! Also I could have sworn I read the JNI overhead was not insubstantial. That was the reason I thought to avoid JNI (that, and much of what is thought to be computationally expensive is already translated to a native implementation by the framework/VM itself).

And definitely the loops are translated by the VM to a native implementation -- it would be interesting to see how this gets optimized. This could certainly gain some performance for large loops (100+ iterations). Could be interesting too, if lambdas come to Android's flavor of Java.

For non-game apps the two biggest performance drags I have noticed are layout and image rendering.

Image optimizations could better prepare the data for something like skia to send it to the surface flinger, but I'm not sure how they would optimize layout. A lot of that happens because of Android's dynamic nature requires several measurement passes through the view tree. I think this is something they improved behind the scenes in 4.3.

I haven't done memory profiling on any apps I have developed in awhile. But I seem to remember that image decoding is performed on the system heap, but still counts against the app's memory usage limit. I'm curious what the optimization would be here.

Another choke point seems to be reflection/method invocation and object access. Then of course there is file IO and Network IO. Network IO has been aided by libraries like Volley, and hopefully more stuff like that will come along. But I suspect platform specific optimizations could certainly help here, though I'm not sure exactly how.

This is certainly an interesting thread though -- even though much of it happens beyond my little sphere of app-dev specific knowledge. :)
    EarlyMon likes this.
  24. EarlyMon

Ah. If it helps, you may recall discussion in another thread where I said that context switching needed to be accounted for when comparing native to Java.

Probably you know this but just to be complete, JNI calling is a specific instance of the operating class, context switching.

That's definitely a boundary layer for optimization, you're absolutely correct on that. (What else is new lol.)

I don't know of any generic ways to predict the runtime cost because the user impact for common apps may have to include how often it's jumping back and forth vs time spent on the other side, and assuming best design practices and best methods, I think that still has to vary by app type.

PS - ever since the Snapdragon S4, there's been a separate grid computing element in the processor directly given over to fast UI operations.

I have no idea if it's really being exploited as that's processor specific, something that's usually avoided.

I doubt many people have heard of it.

~~~~~~~

For our curious non-programmers, for an interesting look at some Java vs native differences, check out "CF-Bench"

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.cfbench

And for those unfamiliar, note well chainfire's warning that it's not intended to act like benchmarks you may know, the end score is just a number. ;) :)
    alostpacket likes this.
  25. EarlyMon

Been meaning to mention this for a while -

I think that one thing that will make or break this is garbage collection (translation: reclaiming previously used memory that is free for general use).

Java is very good at it and improvements there was part of what made Gingerbread great.

And I was mistaken earlier, JIT compiling was announced at Google I/O 2010 and introduced in Froyo.

I don't know about anyone else but I really miss those official videos for new Android revisions.
    breadnatty08 and alostpacket like this.