Last Updated:

1. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

LMAO i know :p
    No offence Nick :beer:

Advertisement
  2. funkylogik

Probably a stupid question but while using ART when I update a few apps, should I be doing anything like a reboot after it?
  3. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

i only rebooted when i enabled ART. i think it's automatic after that (be prepared for a super long boot the first time). i'm hoping that rebooting is a thing of the past (never had to reboot an iPhone unless it was updating the OS). BTW, is ART only a custom ROM thing? my two Nexus devices upgraded but the 'select runtime' isn't showing in dev options and they're still using Dalvik as they're still a bit laggy and unstable.
  4. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! Moderator

I know I had to manually configure a build I did to build and configure for both (Gen 1 Nexus 7 (Wifi)). The stock build didn't seem to have it in
  5. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator Moderator

I think ART is included as an option with the N4 4.4 builds, but not with any of the tablet versions.

And no, no reboots needed after it's all set up - the runtime will do the necessary optimization/compilation when new apps are installed.
    funkylogik likes this.
  6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

a shame. my Nexus 7 could truly benefit from ART. without that KitKat is just an incremental update like 4.3.
  7. funkylogik

Gen 1? I think N7 KK factory image has been released now man. Why no ART?? I was gona do my nephews N7 on wednesday :(
    Nah its not just a custom rom thing.
    Thanx peeps :beer:
  8. palmtree5

Guess Google just didn't put it into the stock build for the N7...
    funkylogik likes this.
  9. funkylogik

Aaaugh, my monthly data ran out tonight and we dont have broadband so i had to connect to my wifes or her cousins phone hotspot and when i did, it was like a cascade lol app after app force closed and it happened over three KK CM based roms.
    Anyone had that?
    (Ill post this in the ART thread too incase its maybe an ART fault [all my 4.4 roms are on Android Run Time now].. when i restored to Carbon rom 4.3.1 everythin works fine while tethered)
    Dalvik does feel slow though and i KNOW its not placebo lol.
  10. funkylogik

Thats a shame because its supposed to help the lower spec'd devices run smootly and be more noticable than on the high-end machines :(

P.s, have you activated Developer Options in settings yet to get to the Run Time toggle?
  11. palmtree5

Runtime toggle doesn't exist in the factory image. It only exists in my own build because I chose to build it with both Dalvik and ART in
    funkylogik likes this.
  12. funkylogik

Ah right. Why is this?? Do you think google are just kinda beta'ing it or something?
    Id have thought all the Nexi would have got it. I can imagine it would make a huge difference to say a gnex or gen1 N7 wouldnt you mate? :beer:
    P.s, forgot to look at your profile mate sorry, hope you dont think i was patronising or anything :thumbup:
  13. palmtree5

Introducing ART | Android Developers
    funkylogik likes this.
  14. funkylogik

Thanx mate :beer:
    palmtree5 likes this.
  15. funkylogik

So could running a sgs3 in ART justnow possibly be doing harm?
  16. codesplice

It is very much a beta function right now. I haven't run into any problems, but some apps will require a bit of work to get them ART-compatible. I think Google went ahead and included it as a developer option to help devs get their stuff ready... it will probably be the default runtime in one of the next major releases.
    funkylogik likes this.
  17. funkylogik

Cool. Im liking it but ive had to restore back to carbon (4.3.1) tonight for a few reasons.
    Its defo something for everyone to look forward to i think :)
  18. funkylogik

Anyone had a problem with being on a rom running in ART then restoring a 4.3 backup?
    I restored carbon earlier then had a big walk so put my earbuds in n put an album on PowerAmp and i swear i got to half a track before it stopped, looked at the phone and everything was FCing till it rebooted. This happened 3times till i gave up, got home and put KK back on now my tunes play fine.
    Is it a case of once you KK/ART, theres no goin back lol????
    Once you p0p!
  19. bjacks12

bjacks12 Well-Known Member

I would think that if you did a clean install after wiping everything, it should work.
    funkylogik likes this.
  20. palmtree5

Well, you can always switch back to Dalvik if you wanted to
  21. funkylogik

Well it was a nandroid install so surely thats clean without wiping anything? Idk tbh lol. I never wipe before restoring a nandroid anyway :)
  22. bjacks12

I guess Palmtree has your answer.

I'm not experienced with Nandroid backups or switching ROMs. The only experience I've had with a rom was installing CWM and CM10 on my Captivate. If they ever release CM 11 for it, I guess I'll get a little more experience. Although I rarely even touch that phone anymore.
    funkylogik likes this.
  23. funkylogik

But surely restoring a 4.3 rom nandroid did switch me back to Dalvik? :D see these are things i have trouble understanding. If i get a chance tonight im gona do some reading about Run Time :beer:
  24. codesplice

Correct, swapping between nandroids should change the runtime being used - after all, that's essentially swapping out a .so file on the /system side (which is covered by a full nandroid backup).
    funkylogik likes this.
  25. bjacks12

Did a factory reset on my phone today to see if it would take care of a WiFi issue I've been having. Of course, that put me back on Dalvik. I can definitely feel a difference. ART is quite a bit smoother IMO. I'm going to leave it like this for a day or two and see if there's a difference in battery consumption too.
    funkylogik likes this.