• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Introducing the new Android Runtime - ART

Did a factory reset on my phone today to see if it would take care of a WiFi issue I've been having. Of course, that put me back on Dalvik. I can definitely feel a difference. ART is quite a bit smoother IMO. I'm going to leave it like this for a day or two and see if there's a difference in battery consumption too.

agyreqer.jpg

Definitely looking forward to seeing how that goes!

Reactions: bjacks12
Upvote 0
So far.....battery life on dalvik doesn't look good. 11:30 AM and i'm already down to 70% with very light use.

Do you know what is causing it?

There has been a problem with 4.4 gapps draining batteries, so it's worth checking whether Google Services is high on the list in Battery stats. If it is, flash another set of gapps that doesn't drain your battery.

I had this problem and I suspected it was because I had updated some google apps in Play Store and the updated apps were the culprits. As I couldn't identify which app(s) it was, I reflashed my gapps and it fixed the battery drain. However, I am reluctant to update my google apps now.

If you cannot easily identify the cause of your battery drain, Gsam Battery Monitor will show you which apps/processes are responsible.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
They've just released an update for 4.4. The release notes say that a helper app is needed, but as I'm running 4.3 I've not looked into that yet.

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that! Time to go give it a go!

Thanks for letting me know, btw.

Aw, crap :(
requires the device is rooted

Upvote 0
Oh, yeah. Overlooked that ('cos I always root that warning sort of goes over my head) :(

I usually do, but with 4.4 I'm doing a bit of an experiment to see how long / how well I can get along without hacking it. Tomorrow will be two weeks without root. I've never ever had a bone-stock device before (I rooted-and-rom'd my Nexus One within 15 minutes of booting it the first time, and didn't even boot my GNex or N4 once before rooting as well) so this is a bit interesting.

So far, the only root-required functions I'm really missing are kernel-level display color control (I like a warmer display at night, previously controlled via Tasker and a shell script I wrote) and, now, detailed battery stats (though the ProcStats in DevOptions are pretty sweet). I'm getting by just using Lux's Night filter, but I don't know how long I'll be able to manage with that (as the quality produced by a filter overlay isn't quite as good as adjusting raw RGB and gamma values).

Upvote 0
GApps are not an issue so far. Google Play Services is way at the bottom of the list. Top contributors right now are the screen and Fox News(lot of battery time, almost no foreground), so I removed it. We'll see what happens from here on out. I've got auto-brightness on and a short time-out on the screen(though I never wait for it to time-out anyway).

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Really? aw man my 10yr old nephew just got the notification for update on his '12 N7 and he'd heard me tell my niece not to update her s3 yet so he was asking if he should take the update. I sed yes and tonight i was gona put him on ART. The N7 could really benefit from it.
So have any of the official 4.4 builds got it or is it only 3rd party devs who have used the SDK or whatever?

Upvote 0
Searched and the official word is that the 2013 Nexus 7 got ART but not the 2012 Nexus 7 or the 10. Why they left it out of the 10 is a mystery. Both lag like a gingerbread device with dalvik, making me want to use my iPad again.

I was, however, able to side load the Google Launcher onto them without root though.

I don't want to use a custom ROM on them because that would break the Nexus benefit like OTA updates. It's already a pain in the butt to upgrade my GS3 and that alone makes me want to jump ship to iPhone.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
Lmao.
If you use a CPU monitor, you can see project butter working. With an ondemand or pegasusq type governor, as soon as you touch the s3 display it jumps to 800mhz in anticipation of an action so it does help a bit with UI. much better if you use a custom kernel to change the boost level to 1.2ghz though lol.
ART is amazing for speed opening/changing apps etc, things that android was bad at :)

Upvote 0
Well, I just switched back to ART. Much snappier than dalvik. Here is a screenshot of my battery life from today, taken just as i plugged in my phone and switched to ART.
e6y6e4e2.jpg

Didn't use the phone a lot because i watched 3 movies with my family. SOT was 2 hrs and 13 minutes, but at 48%, i could still get another hour or two.

Also noticed that my apps now take up about .5 GB more space on my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones