• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Inventory Tracking App

Scheer

Lurker
Nov 27, 2011
I would like to work on an app to help track inventory between our three warehouses and job sites. I have looked at Inventory Droid, but it doesn't seem to be what I am wanting. Most of the items do not have barcodes, or are items that the barcodes come up at common grocery items when I scan them. The items I am looking to track are things like coax connectors, microwave dish mounts, and other parts for cellular towers, not common things :)

How I see it working is pulling from an excel/google spreadsheet from the web and having an app that will link to it. When I scan an item it will bring up a screen with the option to increase or decrease stock, by how much, and which warehouse it is being put into/taken out of. I would also like to integrate it where when an item drops below a certain stock, it will add to a different spreadsheet that someone will watch to know when to order more of the parts.

I took a year of Java in college, but have never messed with app development, so how hard would it be to make an app like this? I don't think I can have it pull an excel sheet from the web, so isn't mySQL what I am looking for?

I don't care about looks, just function... and the only phones it will be used on are the Bionic, X2, and Razr, so making it compatible should be very easy since they are all nearly identical.

Thanks in advance, Taylor.

I am a little confused by these two statements:

Most of the items do not have barcodes, or are items that the barcodes come up at common grocery items when I scan them.

Then:

When I scan an item...

So, how would this work for the items that do not have bar codes? I am not trying to be difficult, just trying to understand.

Anyway, this is a moderately involved project you are considering. You need a web site that serves the file/database with a way to update it - usually this is done through what is called Web Services, or else a direct online editor, either way, this piece needs to be done. Then, you need an app that integrates with it.

Anyway, this is not a first Android app kind of project, you will likely need someone to develop it for you. I have done apps like this before and it takes a significant amount of effort to complete this.

-frank

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones