inverted color internet browsing

1. Stupifier

Stupifier Well-Known Member

This is my first smartphone. After looking through apps and settings everywhere, I gave up and figured you guys would know.
    I want to invert the color scheme for the internet. Make internet pages display white text on a black background and so on. Many people do this on their computer browsers as it is easier on the eyes. On computers, people just use stylesheets to accomplish this.

How can I do this on my Droid incredible internet? Or must the phone be rooted for this sort of customization? Is their another internet app that has this function?

Advertisement
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

i haven't heard of a way to do this, but if it's possible i would like to try it as well.
  3. Stupifier

Honestly, it makes browsing the internet much easier. My eyes don't go to shit.

I figured since it was becoming so popular on PC browsers, someone knew how to do it here.
  4. milnivlek

milnivlek Well-Known Member

I doubt that this can be done for the default browser, but hopefully someone can come up with a Dolphin Browser plug-in that does something like this.
  5. Stupifier

yes please. I really want this
  6. bemymonkey

bemymonkey Active Member

Anyone find something in the mean time?

I'm still looking ;)
  7. orbit734285

orbit734285 New Member

i would like this as well
  8. evanpatrick

evanpatrick New Member

This feature is available in the stock browser if you are running Cyanogen 6.1. You must be rooted and have a phone that has a Cyanogen ROM build available. Look under browser setting for "Invert Color".

Honestly, if you haven't rooted your phone, do it. Once you are rooted, nothing appears any different. However, you have many new options and features available to you on demand, including speed enhancements, UI enhancements, extra features, and regular updates.
  9. orbit734285

orbit734285 New Member

anything?
  10. radoxme

radoxme Member

I get floaters in my vision. I have an HTC desire and want a tablet too. I would stick with android for sure if I had this feature. I have zoomtext on pc and tried the ipad. It is brilliant for color inversion. Come on google. I thought you were supposed to be working disabled blind midgets round the clock on accessability? Most people do not need hard core talking stuff.:eek:
  11. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

*bump* Is there an app that does it? :) I have root but lock bootloader so no go with cyanogen mod.
  12. tmuka

tmuka New Member

I was looking for a solution to this too and didn't find one i liked. Dolphin HD's "Reader" addon was close, but it added padding to the browser on my Epic.

So... i decided maybe a javascript bookmarklet could do what i wanted. turns out, it did.

This has only been tested in the Android 2.3.4 stock browser. To use it, copy the code from the link below into the android clipboard and add a new bookmark, pasting the code into the URL box. Give it a name like "Invert Color". Then when you're viewing a page you want to invert, open the bookmarks menu, and click this bookmarklet.

tonymuka.com/js/ (sorry, i dont have enough posts here to link. check me out over at xda if you like...)

Enjoy!
  13. radoxme

radoxme Member

I would like to give you ten dollars for this as it is so important to me. Please provide a paypal donation button or email via private message. Another ten if you can get the code to run by default on all pages. Thanks. You are a hero.
  14. radoxme

radoxme Member

I have found the best way to get this script to run is to connect the bookmark to a letter i for invert gesture and the gesture button in the bottom right. Then while a page is loading tap and draw the I. Only takes 1 second and one thumb movement.
  15. tmuka

tmuka New Member

KOTYAR likes this.
  16. radoxme

radoxme Member

Just got one and was pleasantly surprised to see this built in under accessability.
    This applies to the whole os.
  17. tmuka

tmuka New Member

That's awesome! I like to think cyanogen steve is working his magic from inside samsung now. Great too see that sort of functionality on a stock rom intead of just custom roms!
  18. INvinter23

INvinter23 Well-Known Member

At least someone out in the team actually knows how people use their devices and what kind of stuff they need. Getting Steve on the payroll was the best move for Samsung's dev team
  19. radoxme

radoxme Member

Just install a global dark theme and it obviously leaves images alone.

The circle is complete.
  20. vosg

vosg Well-Known Member

I installed Boat Browser. It has a 'night mode' setting. Besides that, it's a very fast browser also for 'normal' daytime use. It's available for free on the Google Play store.
    KOTYAR likes this.
  21. robertkoa

robertkoa Well-Known Member

On unrooted LG Motion on stock browser hit menu then/settings/ then accessability /

Then select "Inverted Rendering “.

Not sure if this is part of Android ICS or just part of LG Menu.
  22. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Actually that makes a lot of sense for the Samsung AMOLED devices, simply because AMOLED screens consume much less power with dark and black colours, than when showing bright whites, e.g. most websites.