• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Invisible secret messaging apps

Hi folks,

I'm after an app that will be totally invisible on my phone (HTC Legend) and my "friend's" phone (iPhone 4s) that will allow us to send messages to and fro without our respective numbers appearing on our respective phone bills as we both have, shall I say "Inquisitors" that go through the bills looking for things that they are better off not finding. For the record, we both have the same carrier.

If it means purchasing a 3rd party app that's fine.

Please feel free to read between the lines on this but I'm sticking to the story of "National Security" LOL :cool:

me thinks Big Old Tree has Young Sapling on the side
adore.gif

Upvote 0
@ Alpha0990, If I knew a way of hiding Skype from view I would try it. Thanks for your thoughts. I'll pass on your regards!

@ Sanibel, Interestingly, I do work for the government, but I am not a Spy, just a simple servant of her Majesty's government.

@ Justtom, You are too kind but amusingly the "sapling" is older than my "Inquisitor" Now there's a turn-up for the books!

Upvote 0
Download "TextFree" or any other of the countless "free" apps on the Play Store. Those work by sending over your data, so wont show up on your bill. Then get a custom launcher such as ADW or Go Launcher. Those and others have an option in the launcher settings to hide certain apps. As for opening TextFree once it's hidden, I would either assign a key shortcut to it or just go into Manage Applications and open it from there.

Someone who knows what they're doing can still see TextFree through Manage Applications, but the average user who picks up your phone and pokes around wont know any difference. As for the iPhone, TextFree is available for iOS and also wont show up on her bill, but I'm not sure how you'd go about hiding it. I'm not too familiar with iOS but maybe "there's an app for that" ;)

Upvote 0
Why not just both set up a new email address (like with gmail) and just email each other. It wont appear on the bill, your respective partners wont be aware of the email addresses and you can just log out after use!

Alternatively you could both be honest and open so there wouldnt be a reason to hide ;)

Be honest and open with one's partner? What are you some sort of damn hippy? :mad:

Upvote 0
Be honest and open with one's partner? What are you some sort of damn hippy? :mad:

Nope - just believe if there is a reason to look elsewhere then its better to try and sort it out upfront so less people get hurt in the long run.

Anyways - back to the original topic, Why not use Whatsapp? You can delete conversations afterwards so no one would any the wiser!

Upvote 0
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, even the Hippy (I mean no disrespect at all Gillyrose)

A few of the apps mentioned do not work here in Australia which makes it a little hard. The free text apps are good however hiding them from inquisitive persons is the problem, unless I can disguise them or render them invisible.

I wish it was not so complicated (the phones I mean) LOL @ me.

Once again, thank you all and if you come up with another "angle" I'm all ears.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones