1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

iOS only games. Does it bother you?

1. The Miki Show

The Miki Show Well-Known Member

I dislike it when developer make iOS games first, then months later create it for Android. Does this turn you off from playing it? What are you thoughts?

Advertisement
    :
  2. Shocky

Shocky Well-Known Member

I doesn't turn me off from buying them but it does annoy me a little.
    boyo1991 likes this.
  3. pwalt

pwalt Well-Known Member

I don't have any i-devices. I don't pay attention to i-device forums. So I'm generally oblivious of it happening.

So, no, I guess it doesn't bother me! :D
  4. Reocyx

Reocyx Active Member

It irks me a lot. Android people are just way less elitist. Apple fans are so proprietary.
  5. The Miki Show

When they do that, it gives the impression that Android Devices are not up to par. How hard is it to create for both platforms. Developers please chime in. :)
  6. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

The only fact that irks me, let's say for example, if crime city was on IOS, not 100% sure if it is or isn't.
    But IOS will get a nice update and it will take several months for Android to get that same update.

Other than that, it doesn't really bother me.
  7. IPWNPACIFISTS

IPWNPACIFISTS Well-Known Member

Not a developer but its been said developers are concerned with the piracy with android games also given for iOS games they all use the same software you know iOS 6.1 for example so its easier to update and create games for the masses whereas in the android world they are an influx of phones/devices and the version of android users are running varies a bit much and add in the individual devices specs and hardware pretty much its too much work and too costly.. Like ds said the updates or lack of irks me other than that all is good
  8. The Miki Show

Do you think having an Android OS Standard would help to solve that issue. I've had that issue with Android itself. Some games will not install on certain version of Android. But games like Shadowgun: DeadZone gives me hope. Cross platform from the start. :)
  9. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

It does bother me a bit. I don't play a ton of mobile games so interesting iOS-only applications bug me more. Remembering market share data, these companies are missing out on sizable percentages of potential customers. I don't understand that.

I know developers claim Android piracy is their main reason for avoiding the platform but I remember reading that some game under iOS had an incredibly high piracy rate so I expect the walled garden is missing a few bricks somewhere. Wish I could remember where I read these things.

As far as difficulty in implementing for iOS vs. Android, iOS really has a better system for coding. I'm a programmer who dabbled in Android development and have friends who do for iOS. Apple provides MUCH better tools than Google. As expected, Apple integrates everything into a nice neat package where Google's system is relatively hard to even set up properly.
  10. dibblebill

dibblebill Well-Known Member

I waited an extra 2-3 months for Asphalt 7 on my tablet. It irritated me, and stil does. However, I also understand why and how it happens.
  11. IPWNPACIFISTS

IPWNPACIFISTS Well-Known Member

I don't think its going to happen far too many variables with android devices if they slow up on the constant releases maybe or if developers set a standard version of android for games idk much about the technical side of things so someone more knowledgeable will have to offer their 2 cents.
  12. boyo1991

boyo1991 Well-Known Member

Entirely agreed.. ill still get it even if I am a little peeved they wouldn't make it for android at at least the same time.. not cool man :(
  13. The Miki Show

With HP coming out with an Android Devices, Do you think that will help standardized it or confuse the eco system even more?
  14. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I think that depends on how they approach it. If they go the Amazon route and try to create their own closed ecosystem then it will fragment things even more. While they may try this, it would probably be a mistake since HP doesn't have Amazon's content or reputation. They'd have to start from scratch.

If they go the compatibility route then I don't see a problem with fragmentation or confusion.
  15. FreakZone

FreakZone Member

Hey guys, developer here.

It's basically because Android users in general don't want to spend money. Because the platform is open and the users of Android tend to be quite tech savvy, they tend to not want to pay money for software anymore, despite the fact that it's so cheap anyway. It's not just piracy that does it, even the non-pirates on Android tend to gravitate much more towards the free software, and don't tend to buy the in-app purchases, and hell, they've likely rooted and installed an ad blocker as well, so the game makes literally nothing. In developer circles/communities generally it's agreed that "Android users don't want to spend money". A lot of the big publishers literally just say "don't bother with Android, there's no money to be made there".

The thing is, it's not ALL about the money. As a developer I love what I do and heck, I'd do it for free if I could, but you have to put food on the table and pay the bills, and it's just not reasonable to spend evenings and weekends developing after working in some other job all day, but if you forget about the money, it's the fragmentation. You could make an all-singing, all-dancing game with great graphics running at 60FPS, and then get a bunch of people request refunds because it doesn't run properly on their phone, and there's no indie developer in the world who wants to get every single Android device for testing on.

So to cut a long story short, Android is difficult to develop for due to the fragmentation and the users don't spend the money to pay for the extra development and testing time that it requires.

Another thing to consider is, for example, a developer might bring you a simple retro sidescrolling platform game with jumping puzzles, power-ups hidden in blocks or whatever. But, you already have an emulator on your phone running Super Mario... So you will likely skip straight past it.

If you want to help Android catch up with iOS for games, support developers. The next time you look at something and say "oh but it's not free", take a look at that $1 price tag and think about how you're looking at a fully interactive video game which costs you the price of a can of soda. Consider that it might be easier to spend $1 than to seek out a cracked copy, and remember that if the developer makes money, their other games will come your way as well.
    FoxyDrew, The Miki Show and RichSz like this.
  16. The Miki Show

I agree with the fragmentation however the money side of it I don't. Not everyone is making money on iOS. Mainly the large publisher and a few indie. So I think that goes across the board.
  17. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

For me it's not really games, I don't know what the current hot games are anyway. It's good quality educational software, particularly for ESL uses, some of them are games though. There's so much more on iOS than Android. In fact Android can really be quite poor in this respect. In fact I've gone as so far, that I've recommended that some of my more affluent students buy Apple iOS devices in preference to Android ones. like the iPad Mini or iPod Touch.

@FreakZone mentioned Android app piracy. That's a major thing for Android in Chinna, and there's no aid apps available here anyway, free or ad supported. Not so with iOS, unless jailbroken.
  18. kameleon1993

kameleon1993 New Member

I live in Jamaica and I cant pay for android apps why? Because Google wallet won't allow me to add my credit card to purchase apps. And this is very frustrating. I contacted them and was told its because I'm not a US resident. That's bulls@it. I can use windows phone, blackberry, and I phones to add my credit card to purchase apps. Even yesterday I emailed Google. I'm using a HTC one s and I can't purchase order and chaos online etc. Yes I have to pirate games. Not my fault tho. Believe me I want to pay. I do . I even tried using a fake us address to add my credit card, but it didn't work ( it worked on windows phone tho). I want to support Devs but Google doesn't seem to care much about this issue that lots of people are having
  19. himmatsj

himmatsj Member

The tide is slowly turning. These days, games launch simultaneously on both platforms much more often than before, and we're getting pretty good Tegra exclusives too.

Imo, piracy works on Android and iOS too, so that a moot point. Fragmentation though is a valid point. If EA and Gameloft have trouble optimizing their games, what about small indie devs made up of 2/3 people?

PS: Btw, nice insight FreakZone. Thanks!
  20. rushmore

rushmore Well-Known Member

I dislike that the Android versions are not as smooth as the OS. In spite of my iPad having a much higher res display.

Even my iPod 5 is smoother.
  21. This does bother me quite a bit.

For example, Sonic Jump came out on iOS first... And then months later FINALLY comes to Android...

My phone is currently the Galaxy Note 2 and with the large screen I would love to play high end games on the my device but Android gets things so late or dont get games at all.

So once again Sega releases another Sonic game. Sonic Dash, which just came out on iOS about 2 weeks ago... And where is the Android release???

Im so tempted to trade my Note 2 for a iPhone 5 which can easily be done on craigslist.

Android is a beast of a phone platform. There devices are powerful with high end specs... But whats the point without software???
  22. umataro42

umataro42 Well-Known Member

Doesn't bother me too much, mostly because I don't have a recent iProduct (I have an iPod Classic and a previous generation iPod Nano - that long one that still has a click wheel), so I'm generally unaware of what games are exclusive.

The only time I'll find it is from a blog that mentions it (usually Kotaku or Gizmodo). The only one that comes to mind is there was a Voltron game for iOS that looked fun. But there's also Android exclusive games (and even a thread for it in here somewhere). So its not like its completely one-sided.

As far as supporting the developers, all I can say is I try to do my part and pay for apps I think are well worth the 99cents, which is less than most would spend on a bag of chips in a vending machine or a cup of coffee so I don't understand why its suddenly too much for a game you could end up spending hours playing.

I will say that Google Play Store changing the refund policy from 24 hours to 15 minutes doesn't help things. Some apps are in the $2-5 (or even higher) range, so if it doesn't seem good in 10 minutes of play, chances are it will get returned for a refund.

Maybe the new Google Play gift cards will help, I think some people just don't want to enter a credit card number (like my parents for example, but I bought my mom a gift card and she used it for some pay apps).
  23. The Miki Show

Perhaps with the success of Samsung GS3 and the upcoming GS4. More games will hit the Android OS first or at least at the same time.
  24. The Miki Show

That is a good thing to know. Perhaps we should forward that to game developers. While wearing our Guy Fawkes masks. :)
  25. Camobaby13

Camobaby13 Well-Known Member

I am coming from apple to the android it doesnt bother me because all the apps i wanted on my iphone i had to pay for but now on my android they are free so the wait doesnt bother me.