• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iOS only games. Does it bother you?

My favorite game on Android isn't on iOS yet. THAT bugs me! ;) There's actually a few novelties I have that aren't on iOS.

I don't think the popularity of the phone is the problem, the majority of iOS games are not made for the iPhone, but rather the iPod Touch. They run on both, but you can get that if a kid is using their parent's iPhone to play a game too often, that they're most likely going to invest in an iPod for them. Most are unaware that there are Galaxy Players, and only think you can an Android non-smartphone in tablet form.

Some engines work better than others (each vary on what they support and you can't switch just for the sake of it). And when it comes to things like Unity, which a lot use, it's an extra $400-$1,500 investment just to develop for Android.

Upvote 0
My favorite game on Android isn't on iOS yet. THAT bugs me! ;) There's actually a few novelties I have that aren't on iOS.

I have the opposite problem. My wife sits for hours happily playing Bejeweled Blitz (the version linked to the Facebook app) on her iPad, and it's never been made available for Android, so it's not on my phone or tablet. Bummer!

Upvote 0
Well what specifically bugs me about this is when a devloper releases a game on IOS,then at the same time they PROMISE a release for Android in the "Near future" and you wait and you wait,then ask them about it months down the road and they say they are working on it still,and you wait and you wait and you wait. There are a few devlopers out there that are big time offenders of this.

Upvote 0
I live in Jamaica and I cant pay for android apps why? Because Google wallet won't allow me to add my credit card to purchase apps. And this is very frustrating. I contacted them and was told its because I'm not a US resident. That's bulls@it. I can use windows phone, blackberry, and I phones to add my credit card to purchase apps. Even yesterday I emailed Google. I'm using a HTC one s and I can't purchase order and chaos online etc. Yes I have to pirate games. Not my fault tho. Believe me I want to pay. I do . I even tried using a fake us address to add my credit card, but it didn't work ( it worked on windows phone tho). I want to support Devs but Google doesn't seem to care much about this issue that lots of people are having

Are Chinese Googleless(non-Google) Android phones and tablets popular in Jamaica? i.e. one's that don't have Google Play or any other Google services at all, and often have another app store, like 1Mobile Market(Chinese).

Upvote 0
Android users should be happy that if an iOS game is even ported to Android, because plenty of iOS games are never even made available for Android. I've been pleading some iOS developers to port their popular games (e.g., King of Dragon's Pass, Zombileville 2) to Android, but they had basically said they were not interested in developing for Android due to recent bad experience with compatibility and fragmentation issues. As a gaming platform, iOS is still superior to Android in terms of game availability and exclusivity.

Upvote 0
It does bother me, especially when it comes to the bigger games. Sonic Dash came out over two weeks ago for iOS and it's still not available for Android, even though the code for the Android version was found in the game shortly after release. I don't get why developers don't just release games on both platforms simultaneously. That's the way it works with most console and handheld games. Why make people wait?

Upvote 0
Just my thoughts, :D

We can't blame developers for doing this because of 2 main reasons:

1. ios users are statistically more likely to spend money on premium apps and iap because if you got money to spend on overpriced apple products, then you got money to spend on apps. Whenever I look at the premium version of an ad supported app, I only see that 10% of people from the free version actually bought the app.

Offtopic: btw this is why there are so many freemium apps; people just won't paid for premium app and end up paying way more for iap.

2. Since there are many variations of android kernels (e.g. touch wiz, sense, stock, etc) and screen resolutions on phones and tablets, programmers will need to spend much more time for an android version vs. ios version.

With that being said, developers are actually spending more efforts to gain less money on android while they spend less effort on ios and gain more money.

There's still hope: Ever since the GS3, and Note II became a huge hit, more ios users are switching to android which means developers will likely be developing games for android first, if not, at the same time.

Ahhhh, that was a mouthful.. :pepsi:

Reactions: ktchong
Upvote 0
I don't get why developers don't just release games on both platforms simultaneously. That's the way it works with most console and handheld games. Why make people wait?
That's NOT the way it works with most console and handheld games. Plenty of console games are exclusives or timed exclusives. PlayStation has lots of exclusives, and Xbox has more timed exclusives or exclusive DLCs. DS and PSP/Vita have many games that are not available on other platform. If a gaming platform did not have enough exclusive title, no one would bother with it

Reactions: The Miki Show
Upvote 0
Just my thoughts, :D

We can't blame developers for doing this because of 2 main reasons:

1. ios users are statistically more likely to spend money on premium apps and iap because if you got money to spend on overpriced apple products, then you got money to spend on apps. Whenever I look at the premium version of an ad supported app, I only see that 10% of people from the free version actually bought the app.

I think the reason people buy IOS apps is because it's a closed system. Hard to side-load games and every update unroots the phone. LOL! Never the less I spend money on games. 1.99 for months of enjoyment is nothing. If everyone spend 5 dollar a week on games instead of buying those 5 candy bars. More games would come to Android 1st.

Upvote 0
I live in Jamaica and I cant pay for android apps why? Because Google wallet won't allow me to add my credit card to purchase apps. And this is very frustrating. I contacted them and was told its because I'm not a US resident. That's bulls@it. I can use windows phone, blackberry, and I phones to add my credit card to purchase apps. Even yesterday I emailed Google. I'm using a HTC one s and I can't purchase order and chaos online etc. Yes I have to pirate games. Not my fault tho. Believe me I want to pay. I do . I even tried using a fake us address to add my credit card, but it didn't work ( it worked on windows phone tho). I want to support Devs but Google doesn't seem to care much about this issue that lots of people are having

There are other Android app stores:

Appia, App Brain, Aproov, Android Pit, Handango, Handster, Mobango, Opera Mobile App Store, Soc.io, Insyde Market, AppsFire, Amazon, Getjar

Upvote 0
I don't discuss games with anyone on iOS, nor do I read anything about iOS games, so I don't typically know a game exists until it is brought to Android... so, it doesn't bother me.

However, in the world of other apps, it is not uncommon for companies to release an iOS app and never even seriously consider an Android app. With more people on Android than iOS, it just reminds me how powerful the Apple name is.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones