iOS vs Android software paradigm

Last Updated:

1. fporter

fporter Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,
    My first post to AF as I try to decide between an iphone or Android phone. I bought an Ipod Touch as a low risk intro to iOS so have gotten familiar with its user paradigm. Mainly I noticed files are sandboxed to the app that opens them. Also, probably because of this sandboxing, many apps include the same functional, for example connection to webDAV servers, DropBox or gDocs to obtain files.

On the Android side I'm trying to figure out the user paradigm by reading app descriptions. Many apps that're similar to iOS apps do not include this redundant functionality. For example many Android spreadsheet apps i looked at do not include file download functionality whereas iOS spreadsheet apps mostly do.

Is this because on Android the user has access to a file system? Files aren't sandboxed to an app? Boy would that be nice! But then are there Android downloader apps that facilitate cloud connectivity?

In iOS the user pretty much is stuck with the functionality in a specific app as the files are associated pretty tightly with that app (until iOS 4 that is, but still not open or user visible file system). Whereas in Android I get the feeling the user experience is a bit more open and computer-like meaning that any file can be opened by any compatible program. Am I getting it?

What're some other significant differences in user paradigm between iOS and Android? I get the customize-ability of Android (which i really like as a long time PalmOS user in the past).

thanks,
    Fred

Advertisement
  2. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Yes, Android lets the user access files saved to the SD card. You won't be able to touch the system files (though you might be able to see them depending on your file explorer of choice) unless rooted, but everything else is fair game. Rejoice.

Customization is great fun. My main homescreen has recently looked like these:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. gohausmachine

gohausmachine Well-Known Member

Oh wow. Where did you get those lovely icons and such?

4. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member