• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ip4....or android ? :/

Hey Dan I have a incredible now, my m8 from Sunderland just came over to the states and he has a desire pretty much same phone as incredible other than the camera.... My parents both have iphones and like you say it seems i just have so many more options with my Inc.than they do on thier iphones plus the droid apps are catching up really fast with the iphone apps.. just my 2 cent..

Upvote 0
If mind numbing simplicity and games are the two most important things in a hpone for you, go Iphone. Honestly the android software isnt hard to figure out at all on the basic level. and with all there is to do with the phones now a days you can always learn something new when your ready.

if you want "your" phone to truly be "yours" droid will be your best bet.

Also I wouldnt put down the Samsung Galaxy S line of phones just yet, if you are at all interested in Rooting (which is similar to JBing an iphone on a basic level) its easily the best line of phones available.

Upvote 0
Hi dan,

I hope my input can help you with your decision, I am just going to express some of my own experiences on the matter (and maybe vent a few of my strong opinions also :D ).

I will start by saying I just bought my self a nexus one maybe 2 weeks ago to replace my ip3g (which i am still waiting to for to become unlockable on ios 4.1 :mad: ) and I must say, I am still soaring higher and higher on the wave of "Damn my new phone ROCKS!!!" (ESPECIALLY compared to my ip :p !!! ).

Anyway here are some of my opinions on the matter. First off, whatever a full featured Android 2.2 phone may not do now, it can and will do soon. The reasoning behind this is that the hardware is not third rate, crippled, incompetent, or outdated so its potential is only left to be determined by the software and the OS, and here you have a categorical difference with Apple. Although the same principle still aplies, Apples OS is prided on its restrictive incapacitating death hold which stands between you and the full range of (potential) functionality of the hardware. And this is a very important point. Basically, if the hardware is similar, the only important area to determine which is better is in the OS.

The only thing at this point, hardware wise, that is unique to an ip4 vs. a leading Android phone is the retina display and most likely the front facing camera (unless you are looking at the Evo 4g). Other than that ip4 hardware specs are likely matched or more likely bested, pretty much across the board. What this means is that the only really important thing to consider to determine the phones capabilities is in the hands of the apps and the OS. They are the real tools that will determine how much you can actually take advantage of the cutting edge hardware you payed so much money for.

This principle is clearly in favor of Android, and here are a few of reasons why. The first is "policy". What are Androids policies? and what are Apples? If you look at this in principle, whos potential is greater? And who will inevitably grow bigger (i.e offer more)? THIS IS A NO BRAINER!!

People can point out that the iphone app store is 5x the size of the android market, or whatever (250,000 vs 50,000+ / who really knows?) but this is misleading and about as useless as 90% of the apps in the app store (btw the Android store is also full of useless apps), but because people use this idea to try to trump up the App Store, let them carry it through in its entirety. (30,000 flash lights, 40,000 notebooks, 15,000 fart simulators, 20,000 beer mugs that empty when you turn your phone sideways, 30,000 silly face makers... please )
Anyway my point is Androids policy i.e open source, will naturally allow it to surpass the app store – and at an exponential rate. And this is not just a matter of increasing useless junk apps but the actual range of functionality that the USEFUL apps will be able to achieve is basically unrestricted and unpredictable. This is a difference in "Policy", not a measurement of stock piled novelty apps that are the equivalent of intentionally downloading spam unto your phone. And look at the time the app store had to grow, now compare that with the rate of growth of the Android market. Now compare that with the inovation and revolutionary nature of the useful apps in the android market. Really there is no comparison. The option of 30 different ways to turn on a flashlight on the iphone vs the option of 30 different ways to manage mutitasking on Android are not equal in value. Believe me.

Once you get accustomed to using widgets on your home screen and configuring your launcher/springboard of choice to your liking, you will not be able justify spending so much money on an iphone which should be able to do all these things BACUSE THE ACTUAL HARDWARE IS CAPABLE but doesnt because Apple didnt make it that way!!! :eek: It really makes you wonder wtf all your money is really going towards! (besides Jobs pocket :( )

The only function of my iphone that i actually miss is the app "netflix" (maybe only in the US, Iam not sure), which is already in the works for Android....

I also think it is unavoidable to take into consideration the never ending infuriating headache that is re/jailbreaking and / or unlocking the iphone as more and more crippling firmware continues to be released. This will unquestionably compound anyones appreciation for the Android platform.
It is important for you to consider that even if the ip4 is a fast device, after you jailbreak and install various cydia apps you are likely to be facing lags, hang-ups, restarting, restoring, freezing, rebooting, 30 min apple logos, loosing your unlock, stuck waiting for the next release of redrain, bluerain, whitewash, or red-tape to be released, need I continue? :mad:

In my honest opinion owning an iphone is paying extreme prices to buy your way into a never ending battle with company that makes it, in an attempt for you, the owner, to be able to do what you want with it. :thinking: wtf. As of today iOS 4.1 (i.e any ip4) is still not unlockable and people who may have payed close to $1000 for it are stuck with a phone unable to perform the essential function of making a phone call on their preferred network.

I guess I could go on with a few more points, but I will stop here, as this is already long...

I will just say this, Android is awesome. I never fail to be impressed every time I pick it up (and that is even with a 5x smaller app store). If you go for an Android phone get most cutting edge one you can find (i.e Desire, Evo, Droid X, etc) because it will still be much less than an unlocked/free from contract iphone4, or one with a contract after you factor in the contracts overall costs. And Get Froyo 2.2. All the features you asked about; mail, keyboard, etc are fine and will continue to evolve past your expectations faster you could have expected.

Hope this helped :)

Upvote 0
hi guys,
thanks for all the feedback :)

yes ive found that often i have to buy apps just to get around something that apple has prevented me/developer from doing - a bit annoying for sure

ok ok :D im almost 100% convinced now - just need to arrange a play on a 2.2 desire and should be signed up - android+htc sense is just so much more fun and involving imo

cheers
dan

Upvote 0
There is a standalone yahoo mail app in the market download and sign in. also there is setup for custom email (pop 3 imap). I personally just use gmail.

By the way if you can find one get a nexus one. This phone IS Android
Why
A. you get updates as soon as google releases them. no middle men no wait

B. Its pure untouched by carriers and hasn't been crippled in any way wifi tetheriing mobile hot spot, download any thing you want onto it non market apps. .0 bloatware

C. Pure android o.s. The way it should be:) No peeling back any layer of manufacturer grime...
and here lyes the beauty of android and the number 1 reason I will never even blink at the idea of owning an iphone:

If you want touch wiz or sense u.i. Or a htc keyboard or a different music player or a different sms messaging interface... with android you can go out and get it.

You can make android into YOUR PHONE

Every single month my phone runs and looks drastically different then the previous month. I didn't like the stock music player so I downloaded a different one. I wanted to see if I could type faster so I pirated a certain keyboard off of a file sharing site as well as downloaded some other keyboards off the market. I rearrange widgets and icons and experiment with new wallpapers I didn't like the stock facebook app or widget and I found different ones. I even found a way to drastically improve how I interact with my home user interface with custom home apps which are able to have your android look like a windows 7 phone or even an iphone or a whatever phone! Point being this android phone is the first mobile device I've ever truly owned. When i hear people talk about android being open what that means to me is what I take advantage of just about every day; I can change almost any part of the user interface I don't like. And that was before I ever rooted ;-) lol I my phone says my name in ahott british female accent everytime I get a text(i did that with a text to speech app that let me save the input s to notifications and ring tones "type and speak" I also download music the pirate way and am able to delete and edit any of those tracks without having to plug my phone in.

Anyway I like being able to own something that's one of a kind I guarantee you my nexus looks and handles like no other nexus or android phone for that matter and "I" made it that way

For the millions of iphone users out there mr. jobs made those for you; HIS WAY

Upvote 0
I sold my Iphone4 and decided to try the Captivate (Galaxy S).
I have many questions since i have been an iphone user from the beginning.
1. I am with At&t and would like to know where does one go to download apps for the device? there does not seem to be a central place like itunes for android devices?
2.Is there a how to book or site for 2.1 so one can become familiar with the os?
3. Is there a way to download movies or songs from an itunes account to the captivate?

thanks to the person who takes the time to help!

Upvote 0
Iam on 2.2 but I can say that when I plug my phone into to my Mac I get a screen on my nexus one asking if I want to allow USB transfer. Then the phone just shows up like any USB drive.
You can then drag and drop files wherever you want.

The app market (which comes on your phone) will have a lot of stuff you want and will likely be free or cheaper than the app store.

As far as iTunes on android, I am not sure. I never thought to look it up...
I'll see what I can find.

Upvote 0
Thanks i went to android zooms? is that a good site to get apps?
Has there been problems with Mac and it recognizing android phones?
can you be more specific on downloading movies and songs from an itunes acct?
Are netflix or blockbuster able to be downloaded directly to the Captivate?

for apps....
look in your app draw (place with all your apps that are on your phone). Look for "Market". that app is where you find the android market; where you can look/search/read/download/install/uninstall/review 95% of all apps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones