iPad plus droid equals a match made in heaven!

Last Updated:

1. adrianvfx

adrianvfx Active Member This Topic's Starter

I bought an iPad wifi last night and got to thinking... Wouldn't it be nice to have Internet everywhere without paying for a separate data plan? That's where my droid comes in. After spending about five minutes I have a successful rooted 2.1 droid with barnacle wifi hotspot.

Now my iPad and I can browse the web and listen to pandora at the same time. (I SpIrit broke my iPad) so I have multi tasking. Also

Droid can run wifi hotspot and receive texts and stream music from my home computer and barely affect the torrents being downloaded from my iPad. :)

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

nice. if I assume your on VZW (?) I thought they could monitor bandwidth usage and tell that you tethering and POW.. big bill as that is not part of their usage agreement, even for unlimited data plan.

3. obutto

obutto Well-Known Member

They will only monitor you if you have insane usage which usually means 5 GB+.

4. Lock-N-Load

dude said "torrents" & "pandora" so I assume some pretty decent BW usage?

5. gwlaw99

gwlaw99 Well-Known Member

Android and ipad are definitely the best of both worlds (if you want both worlds). I feel sorry for those iphone suckers paying for two data plans.

6. Doubledee90

Doubledee90 Well-Known Member

Sorry but I cant make myself like the ipad. But I am glad that you enjoy it, and good idea, why pay for a data plan when you have a DROID?

7. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat. I don't like my iPod Touch and I won't like a scaled-up equivalent either. And why pay for another data plan? Because Apple said so! And what Steve Jobs says is law! :rolleyes:

8. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

I wish the DROID did that, then there would be no reason to lug both devices around!!!!

Wait a min...

9. Legacystar

Legacystar Well-Known Member

i think 5gb is on the low low side. 5 gb goes by easy just using the droid by itself

10. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

I still don't know how you guys manage that. I can never get above 3GB a month. :rolleyes:

11. ilmar72

ilmar72 Well-Known Member

Lol. I at first did t notice the "wait a minute part" I stream pandora , use gps navigation, and trapster all at the same time
    Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

12. adrianvfx

adrianvfx Active Member This Topic's Starter

Haha! I know I know. But it's the fact that I made my iPad do what I want.

Also I have yet to have a problem with VZW. I've tethered my MacBook pro for months, easily going over the 5gb limit with no problems. And haven't met anyone personally that has been fined for going over their limit.

13. mcadam

mcadam Well-Known Member

I got barnacle working on my iPod touch but not the iPad. It sees the barnacle wireless network and connects to it, but safari still doesn't work and the iPad doesn't show up as a client in barnacle. Did you have to change any settings in barnacle or on the iPad?

14. riffdex

riffdex Well-Known Member

my thoughts exactly

and ipad + droid seems like a much better alternative to dealing with at&t, that's for sure >.<

15. Larkitect

Larkitect Active Member

i couldn't agree more. i was very anti-ipad because i couldn't think of a single use for it. then i got one while on vacation 2 weeks ago and haven't looked back. tethering with my droid has been fantastic away from home.

16. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

The one thing I can think would be nice with the iPad is you have all the ebook families on it. B&K book reader app, Kindle app, iBooks (whatever the hell that really is), and pdf support. If someone could port the android Kindle app over to the Nook, that would be awesome. Adam Savage had a pretty good tweet a few days ago about the Nook, "Is it really possible that B&N created a device called the Nook e-Reader? (say it fast) How did that get out? I picture one joker in a meeting throwing out the name, looking for a laugh, and then staring on in horror as it's picked up as the ACTUAL name."

17. Lock-N-Load

uh... is that really much worse than "iPad" - big Apple fan, but horrible name

18. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

They probably wanted to use iPADD, but the Roddenberry family wouldn't allow it.

19. DMelanogaster

DMelanogaster New Member

Hello. I don't have a Droid yet, but I'm thinking of getting one to substitute for the Verizon MiFi I use with my iPad (I now have a primitive, non-web-enabled phone with Verizon). I have a few questions:

(1) does tether mean you can just use one device? I'm currently using the MiFi not just for my iPad but for when my lousy DSL at home goes out, and when that happens the three of us at home all use the one MiFi (that's its advantage, of course). Can I use the Droid to make a real Hot Spot?

(2) Will I have to "root" the phone and is that difficult to do?

(3) I've read that the connection speeds for tethering are lousy compared to using the MiFi. What are your experiences with this? (I understand that battery life will not be the same)

Thanks!