iPhone 3G owners impressions

Last Updated:

1. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I haven't actually had the chance to play with the phone, however, yesterday at best buy they did have an official dummy phone for me to play with. That said, all I can comment on is the size and the feel.

It. was. awesome... I've owned the original iPhone and then the iPhone 3G the last two years and so I am transitioning into both Verizon and Android.

Weight: The weight of the phone felt fantastic. It definitely felt heavier than an iPhone 3G, however rather than being a problem I actually liked that it felt a little heavier. It made it feel solid, rather than flimsy. There is a fine line between solid and too heavy and the Droid X definitely was on the correct side of that line.

Size: The size of the screen truly felt ginormous. To be honest though, when I held it next to my iPhone it wasn't really that much bigger. As many reviewers have commented, they got the screen size by filling the entire face of the phone. So you get a much bigger screen without the phone being that much bigger.

Pocketability: I have long been a no-case believer. I figure, why should I have to add another layer of protection beyond what it comes with. I did not feel like I would have to change that for this phone. This phone was great. One of the reasons I don't like cases is that it makes the phone too big to comfortably put in your pocket, at least for me. When I replaced my iPhone in my pocket with the Droid X I really couldn't tell a difference. If you are anti holster, you don't have to worry about putting this bad boy in your pocket. It has a different shape so its not that I didn't notice it, however, my pocket didn't have a huge bulge, or anything that would draw, well, unwanted attention :)

So for any of you who are coming from an iPhone like myself, you will NOT be disappointed in the build quality or the size. In fact, I think you will be extremely pleasantly surprised.

Advertisement
  2. jdella681

jdella681 Active Member

Is that a droid x in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ;)

3. Travisimo

Travisimo Well-Known Member

I was able to fondle the dummy Droid X tonight at Best Buy as well. It was definitely pleasantly surprised. It just goes to show that you cannot judge a phone's form factor by looking at screenshots and videos online - you really need to handle the device yourself. The weight and balance of the phone was superb!

I'm currently using the iPhone 4 and will be getting the Droid X on Thursday. I'll have about a week to use them both side by side before deciding on which one to return. This is a huge commitment since it will involve 1) switching carriers, 2) switching OS's, 3) paying an ETF with AT&T (still under 3GS contract), and 4) signing a new contract with a carrier I've never used. But I'm so fed up with AT&T that it just might be worth it if the Droid X impresses.

There are two things that may bug me, though. One is that the CDMA doesn't allow voice and data simultaneously - that is something I've grown accustomed to on AT&T and do use it quite a bit. And two is having to pay extra $$$ just to have Visual Voicemail, though I may just switch everything over to Google Voice anyway.

4. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

The sale of the iPhone 4 should cover the Droid X cost and ETF fee.

Also sign a 1 year contract through Verizon and pay $70 more then signing the 2 year contract just incase.

You should still be on the positive side after you sell the iPhone.

5. DrJD

DrJD Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Good advice above about selling the iPhone 4 to cover the ETF. Also, I went into a Verizon corporate store and because my wife will be canceling her line to switch to Verizon with me they offered to waive both of our activation fees and give us 50% off on accessories when we get the X. That more than covers her ETF.

I'd suggest either selling the iPhone 4 and using that to cover the ETF, or going to a Verizon store and seeing if they will work with you. I've never had such a great customer service experience as I did at verizon the other day. I've been to ATT 3 times the last month or two dealing with iPhone stuff and they always treated me like crap.

Also, I know its a big deal to switch OS, but the more I look around the more I see that Android is just a superior OS. I'll only really know for sure once I use it, but I don't think we will be disappointed!