Iphone 3gs user moving to Droid X (guide moved from Intro forum)

Last Updated:

1. EdHall

EdHall Member This Topic's Starter

Hello,

I have been an Iphone user since Gen1, and have just come out of contract under AT&T.

While I like the Iphone 4, with the unfortunate AT&T service (or lack thereof) that comes with the phone, it's just not an option anymore. In my area edge is the only available service, and even that has drop outs frequently. Then about 4 months ago, the WIFI quit on my phone, which made the AT&T service problems MUCH worse, or apparently so than they were before.

I have had more bad calls, and dropped calls and lack of data availability than I can shake a stick at.

I mostly use the phone for browsing and video/Podcast playback, but I use it A LOT. I love Itunes, and have a bunch of podcasts, including video ones that I listen to quite a bit. So I hope I can sync them still.

I have and use a MacBook Air as my laptop, and would tether quite a bit.

While I could maybe live with having to put my Iphone 4 in a case, the AT&T coverage just kills the whole deal for me.

Verizon here I come.

Anyone think I will have issues with the transition?

Advertisement
  2. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

I do. I'm with Verizon.

You will have a learning curve with the Android, but I assure you it's fantastic!

With Verizon, their customer service rocks! They've bent over backwards to be helpful to me and my family!!

Welcome!! PM me if you want help.

Also: I'm no the topics/section you should be in: I'll see you in Motorola Droid X - Android Forums

3. EdHall

EdHall Member This Topic's Starter

Cool, can we move this thread then?

Thanks
    Ed

4. Steven58

Steven58 Reformed PH VIP Member

Yessir! Will do!

5. cassnate6259

cassnate6259 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it will take a little getting used to, but I don't think you'll regret it. I have always been an iPod/iPod Touch fan, but really got into Android and have been loving Verizon's service.

The biggest annoyance for you might be not being able to use iTunes for media transfer. I just use DoubleTwist, but it doesn't seem quite as slick as an iPod/iPhone and iTunes. Gets the job done, though.

6. Sublimation

Sublimation Active Member

I'm a little curious about this myself. I have had the iPhone since release and now I have a iPhone 3G that fell out of my car, and has a cracked screen. I'm about 12 months into a 2 year contract, so I will have to break it to switch, but I may be ok with that. I could just go for an iPhone 4, but I'm a tech junkie and the thought of something new is almost too exciting to pass up. I don't mind a learning curve, in fact, that's part of the fun of new tech!

Disclaimer: I understand this next part will be almost impossible to answer given that the phone is out JUST today.

I have jailbroken all my iPhones in the past, and am wondering if the "open" Android platform is going to give me same kind of control. I see that the X likes to nuke itself if you try to tamper with it, so can I achieve any type of customization, or install third-party apps/ unsigned apps without rooting? Rooting on other devices doesn't tamper with the bootloader, kernel or anything else that will set off the X's eFuse does it?

Maybe I should just jump in head first, and see what the devs do in time. Should be a great device even without ROMs or rooting, no?

7. Phantom_LS2

Phantom_LS2 Well-Known Member

I just jumped over from an iphone 3gs. I'm loving this new phone. Plus swype is freaking awesome.