• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 4 User: Got to play with the Droid X today!

Im going to call my local Verizon store and see if they have a demo unit. If they do Im definitely going to check it out today.

I would think if mine does then most would. They are closing today at 6 eastern time, we at least here. He told me they were leaving early, must be their holiday. So I am stuck at work until 7, so I told him I would stop by tomorrow and look at it before work. I am super excited to see it in person.

Upvote 0
I would think if mine does then most would. They are closing today at 6 eastern time, we at least here. He told me they were leaving early, must be their holiday. So I am stuck at work until 7, so I told him I would stop by tomorrow and look at it before work. I am super excited to see it in person.

I called 2 Verizon corporate stores and only 1 had a dummy phone. The other had zippy.

The one store is pretty big probably the biggest Verizon store I've ever been in and they are actually doing a midnight release for the Droid X so Im really surprised they don't have one. Oh well.

Upvote 0
I called 2 Verizon corporate stores and only 1 had a dummy phone. The other had zippy.

The one store is pretty big probably the biggest Verizon store I've ever been in and they are actually doing a midnight release for the Droid X so Im really surprised they don't have one. Oh well.

Wow, my store said they should have them in on release, but said there was no guarantees, he took my information, then he gave me his cell phone number so I could call a couple of days ahead. I wish they would do a midnight release, but I am pretty sure they wont. He told me though that he didn't expect it to be as crazy as the Incredible but I should probably not wait too long to pick one up.

Upvote 0
Man I thought boston was progressive but hte local verizon stores around here haven't even heard of the droid x much less have a demo in the store.

I called a couple stores in the Chicago area (downtown and up north) - and all, but two of the 6 stores I called had a demo. So, they seem to be plentiful here. I went over to one up north to try it out. The sales guy did say that he's not supposed to show it though.

I will say, I may be a bit biased coming from an EVO, but it's definitely not too big for me. I'm 5-8", average-sized hands - and that thing felt very good. The software was pretty snappy as well. I honestly didn't want to like it because I've been jumping back and forth in 30-day trials - from DInc to Evo to DInc to Evo. I've been satisfied with my Evo, but the X may make me jump again. I have a fear of wireless commitment I guess. Anyways, the build of the X is sleek and I really am intrigued now. The hump actually felt good against my finger too. And the size within my pocket felt similar to the EVO. Also, due to the light weight of it, it almost felt like a smaller phone than the EVO altogether.

I pre-ordered it right there in the Verizon corporate store (won't get into that here because I started a seperate thread about it, but yeah, they let me pre-order at a Verizon store - guaranteeing me a phone on launch day). ;)

Upvote 0
I got to play with an X at a mall Verizon store today (King of Prussia, PA) (I tried at a different store yesterday and they handed me a dummy). A couple of impressions -
1. It doesn't seem all that big -- I'm small (5'0") with small hands and it felt fine, except maybe that....
2. Swyping with just my thumb, while holding the phone (duh), was just a bit of a stretch for me. I would have to get the hang of Swype, but it was great as a first impression.
3. Colors were bright and pretty - I have a Dinc and opened it up to compare. The incredible is definitely much crisper and brighter (darker black, redder red) but the X colors were fine.
4. I opened up a news article under Google news, and couldn't enlarge it with the pinch-zoom feature (not sure what it's called). On my Dinc I was able to. The Verizon guy said it was because I was on a mobile webpage (?). Not sure what to think of that.
5. When the web page first opened on both the Dinc and the X, I could read the teeny print on the Dinc, but it wasn't legible on the X. I doubt that would be an issue for me, since I'd enlarge it to read, in any case (though apparently can't with pinch-zoom??).
6. The keyboard was truly good -- easier to type on than the Dinc. Swype was tons of fun, too. It's pretty amazing.
7. The X did not have the "heft" of the Dinc. I have a Seidio Innocase II case on my incredible, but overall it felt heavier than the X. I kind of like the weight, but probably won't miss it.
8. The camera was pretty good - comparable to the Dinc, but I took only a few photos in the store.
9. Didn't make any calls. The Dinc dropped a call to my family from the mall, by the way :)
10. The "bump" was totally unimportant.

Those are my impressions - FWIW!
:cool:

Reactions: lilRikki
Upvote 0
Am I reading this correctly? DInc to Evo to DInc to Evo to DroidX?

Get this, I actually came from a 3GS. So yeah, I went from iPhone to my first DInc on launch day - phone pre-order from Verizon. The call quality was garbled and terrible. I jumped over to the Evo on that phone's launch day - via Radio Shack. Loved it, but didn't like the fact that the 3G was half the speed of Verizon's and AT&T's. Yeah, I'm in Chicago so I could take advantage of the 4G, but can barely get a 4G signal 75% of the time. Returned the Evo to the shack and went to BBuy for my second DInc. Sound quality was a little better, but then I realized the screen was just too small for all the typing I do and the battery was just killing me by mid-day. So, that 2nd DInc went back to BBuy and I bought my second Evo from a Sprint store. My 30-day trial on that one is up on the 18th. Despite my 3G speed and 4G reception concerns, it does all I need it to - and I was satisfied...that is, until the X appeared. This is like a drug for me... always trying to get that next digital high. There's a good chance I'll stay with my Evo though because of the rate plan, but this X is making me get that itch again. Hey, I could probably just keep this up until the Scorpion's out, eh? :cool:

Upvote 0
I got to play with an X at a mall Verizon store today (King of Prussia, PA) (I tried at a different store yesterday and they handed me a dummy). A couple of impressions -
1. It doesn't seem all that big -- I'm small (5'0") with small hands and it felt fine, except maybe that....
2. Swyping with just my thumb, while holding the phone (duh), was just a bit of a stretch for me. I would have to get the hang of Swype, but it was great as a first impression.
3. Colors were bright and pretty - I have a Dinc and opened it up to compare. The incredible is definitely much crisper and brighter (darker black, redder red) but the X colors were fine.
4. I opened up a news article under Google news, and couldn't enlarge it with the pinch-zoom feature (not sure what it's called). On my Dinc I was able to. The Verizon guy said it was because I was on a mobile webpage (?). Not sure what to think of that.
5. When the web page first opened on both the Dinc and the X, I could read the teeny print on the Dinc, but it wasn't legible on the X. I doubt that would be an issue for me, since I'd enlarge it to read, in any case (though apparently can't with pinch-zoom??).
6. The keyboard was truly good -- easier to type on than the Dinc. Swype was tons of fun, too. It's pretty amazing.
7. The X did not have the "heft" of the Dinc. I have a Seidio Innocase II case on my incredible, but overall it felt heavier than the X. I kind of like the weight, but probably won't miss it.
8. The camera was pretty good - comparable to the Dinc, but I took only a few photos in the store.
9. Didn't make any calls. The Dinc dropped a call to my family from the mall, by the way :)
10. The "bump" was totally unimportant.

Those are my impressions - FWIW!
:cool:

Hello :)

I will be going to the KOP mall tomorrow early...did u go to the one inside the mall? next to citizens bank? (oppose to the one in the little strip mall across from the actual KOP mall) also, what exactly did you say to the store reps to get them to let you see the x? what did the rep look like that actually showed u the x?:D
i went to the verizon store in south philly, he said he had it but...i couldnt see it!! he is officially the meanest person on earth!:mad:

Upvote 0
Hello :)

I will be going to the KOP mall tomorrow early...did u go to the one inside the mall? next to citizens bank? (oppose to the one in the little strip mall across from the actual KOP mall) also, what exactly did you say to the store reps to get them to let you see the x? what did the rep look like that actually showed u the x?:D
i went to the verizon store in south philly, he said he had it but...i couldnt see it!! he is officially the meanest person on earth!:mad:

Yes, inside the mall (Plaza). I said "Do you have a Droid X that I can play with?". The mean rep you met must have been working at the Springfield store the day before that!

OK, so maybe I'm crazy about the weight of the X, but if someone could just corroborate.....:p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones