iPhone 5 to Note 2 and back to Apple ifGeneral

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1xsculler

1xsculler Member

I sold my iPhone 5 to get my Note 2 and I'm really glad I did but I'd switch back to an iPhone in a New York second if they came out with with a 5.3" display. In my opinion Apple made a huge mistake by making the iPhone 5 the same width as the 4 and only adding length. I'm not a fan of anything else Apple but the iPhone is just plain a better device except that the 5 is way too small.
    Since even 70 year old guys like me are watching much more video and other content on our phones the 5.3" display is the only way to go. The Note 2 is the first phone that has brought me much closer to eliminating my laptop and my tablet.

Advertisement
  2. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

I switch to an iPhone in a minute if it had a larger screen, customizable interface, Widgets, wasn't tied to iTunes, and allowed me to customize as much as Android without jail breaking it.
  3. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!! VIP Member

Hmmm...sounds a lot like Android to me :)
    Ewoedo and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. pool_shark

You know, I think you're right.
    keyan333, Ewoedo and Rxpert83 like this.
  5. taxiron1

taxiron1 Well-Known Member

I also went to a Note 2 for the larger screen with my vision problems. Got real used to being set free from iprison, and would never go back. from the ease of getting free apps to customization to battery life, etc.

I am not an Apple hater, love my iMac, but anyone living outside the ibubble would agree that Android just makes sense.
  6. UBRocked

The biggest benefit with Android is that you are not limited to device selection. I would really like a 5.5" screen and I have a 4.65" screen. I couldn't imagine if my only choices were 3.5" and 4".

Having said that...there is a lot to say for Apple's simplicity and ease of use (even though I think certain aspects of iOS are much more complicated than Android). Plus, accessory selection is unparalleled.
    keyan333 likes this.
  7. pool_shark

Every professional review touting the iPhone as the best smartphone has its simplicity as the #1 reason.

Lack of options is the reason for its simplicity.

Why on earth would a person want a tech toy with no options?

Imagine a TV with only local channels and no option for cable or satellite, or a PC that could only run the preinstalled software.

Lack of options isn't a plus unless you're incapable of thinking for yourself. At least that's what I was told.
  8. CSwick1012

CSwick1012 Active Member

I can't tell you enough how great it was to see that someone can think outside of Apple's unyielding box of limitations.

Why on earth would you pay that much for a phone (or a computer for that matter) that doesn't let you do anything beyond what the manufacturer says is ok? The Note2 blows the iPhone5 out of the water in all aspects (unless simplicity/built-in functionality limitations is a plus for you)
    m00se, Ewoedo and Rxpert83 like this.
  9. 1xsculler

1xsculler Member

I appreciate the responses. Maybe I should expand my horizons beyond the simplicity of an iPhone.
  10. UBRocked

Do what works for you. Despite the Android support you'll find here...there are a few people here and there that swear by iPhones :)

But if you are looking for a phone with a big display, your options are pretty obvious. That Note 2 is a killer phone and I wish you luck either way.
  11. 1xsculler

1xsculler Member

To expand on this I would very much appreciate it if some of you would educate me by naming five or ten practical, useful things I can do on my Note2 that I can't do on an iPhone.
  12. pool_shark

1. Customize your user interface.
    2. Use widgets to have quick access to information without opening the app.
    3. Use a different launcher and have the option to launch over 40 apps without having your screen cluttered with folders or icons.
    4. Easily share information with other apps.
    5. Use a file explorer to have access to your files without a PC.
    6. Have extra storage via an SD card.
    7. Use your phone as a USB drive on your PC.
    8. Use 2 apps on one screen. (I mainly use that when paying bills).
    9. Root and flash alternate ROMs.
    10. Have a reason to say "I have a Note 2".
    Toyz and atrain311 like this.
  13. UBRocked

Watch videos or play games on a 5.5 inch screen...that would be a big one for me ;)

As far as software goes...the things Android can do that Apple can't are usually...trivial in my opinion. Customization is a big deal but only if that is important to you (yes, it is EXTREMELY important to me) . Some people will find uses like mentioned above with the split screens when paying bills. But I personally would not use that feature on a tablet...never mind a phone. Everyone uses their phones differently.

I would ask the question back to you. What can you do with the Note 2 that you can't do with an iPhone? Then take the top few likes/dislikes you have with each phone and decide what things are the most important to you.
  14. schimm

schimm Well-Known Member

In about 15 seconds I can see the weather conditions and forecast , how my stocks are doing, who when and where my teams are playing tonight, my office email, what's on my calendar for the next month and my latest twitter feeds. I have an ipad and I think Siri just asked me today why I've orphaned her. :)
  15. DagMiller

DagMiller Well-Known Member

My two pennies (Hey I'm English).

1. Ability to play different formats of video files and music. To copy them across without the need to use iTunes or even a PC as I have an OTG cable.

2. Good browsers and the ability to view Flash websites.

3. To have a spare battery that I can not only swap easily but also charge independently.

Out of curiosity what functionality do you have on an iPhone that can't be done on the Note 2
  16. Ewoedo

Ewoedo Well-Known Member

I'm trying to think of something but I really can't. Heck the only thing I miss at all from my old iPhone is the little mute switch on the side.
  17. ceva321

ceva321 Well-Known Member

Hello?!?!!? the Note 2 has a mute switch on the side two....press the power button then select MUTE
  18. SixtyDashOne

SixtyDashOne Well-Known Member

Anybody ever try assigning one of the songs on their iphone as a ringtone? It can be done but is a ridiculous pain in the ass, why, because Apple wants you to buy ringtones from them. That's how controlling that company is, they went out of their way to make it difficult to do as you please with your own music.
  19. taxiron1

taxiron1 Well-Known Member

Battery life is huge for me. Note 2 battery life blows away the iphone.
  20. steveo52

steveo52 Active Member

I pretty much have been "Apple PhanBoy" ever since I got my first iPod years back. JMO, the iPhone would have to be totally reinvented for me ever to go back to an iPhone. I had some reservations about moving to the GN2, NOT anymore, goodbye iPhone RIP.
  21. h1r0ll3r

h1r0ll3r Well-Known Member

I passed on the iPhone 5 due to it being nothing more than a longer iPhone 4/4S. There was no innovation/change with it that convinced me that Apple is even trying to make their iPhone competitive. Don't get me wrong. I was an iPhone user for years however I just got sick of the tiny screen, same old iOS UI, and no real changes to the phone other than internal hardware. I do A LOT of video watching so the screen size of the Note 2 was an immediate choice for me. After playing with it for several months, don't ever see myself using any other phone. Now if Apple were to make a larger phone as the rumors predict, MAYBE, I'd consider going back but that still leaves the antiquated iOS in need of a desperate update. If they keep making the crap longer and not wider then forget it. iPhone is dead to me regardless of whatever fancy do-dads they put inside it. I think Apple needs to get with the program here but, by doing so, they'll probably piss off all their fanboys/girls in the process. They need a bigger phone to, at least, accommodate those iPhone users that DO want a bigger phone. the days of one size fits all is done. Consumers need variety, not rehashed crap each year.
  22. Veritas4420

Veritas4420 Well-Known Member

I've owned every iPhone that has been out so far except the the i5. I really enjoyed how well the phone worked and how simple everything was to accomplish on the phone. The phone worked nearly 99% of the time, but I found myself wanting more as far as customization and the ability to make the phone my own. The early android phones I had sucked(HTC hero/Samsung infuse) so I went right back to apple but could not get used to the small screen. Android has improved so much in my opinion that even if the iPhone had a 5" display I would not go back.
  23. XMB

XMB Member

Not if you have a PIN lock set! Also I miss being able to activate the camera from the lock screen (not accessible when you have a PIN lock set).

I also get annoyed when the screen locks after I make a phone call, requiring entry of my PIN to get back to what I was doing!
  24. BetaMan

BetaMan Well-Known Member

I have an HP Envy PowerPC Laptop, a MacBook Pro, the Original iPad with 64GB RAM, an iPad 2 and my 3rd Android phone (1st one was the Incredible, then the Thunderbolt and now the Note 2). About the ONLY thing I use out of ALL of the above is the Note2! It does it all! Great device and VERY FAST! I rarely use my laptops now (oddly enough, I'm on my Macbook Pro typing this LOL!)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.