• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5 versus Android

The author is not making the claim, he is citing Anand Lai Shimpi of AnandTech

Please see http://www.anandtech.com/show/6280/apple-iphone-5-announced

And then go back and read where the quotes end and his re-interpretation continues.

Anand didn't say that, he did. Along with his belief that HKMG is somehow newsworthy to the point of providing a link, I'll stand by my comment. :)

Anand said -

"Based on the performance gains, Apple's history of SoC naming and some other stuff we've heard recently, it looks like Apple has integrated two ARM Cortex A15 custom designed Apple ARMv7 cores on Samsung's 32nm LP HK+MG process. This is a huge deal because it means Apple beat both TI and Samsung on bringing A15s to market."

Anand has already withdrawn the claim that they are using a pair of A15 cores (I saw that coming) and a pair of A15 cores is not a pair of dual cores.

The author does not understand mobile multicore architectures.

And given that the Krait is in the A15 class, maybe nothing here is as big a deal as anyone is claiming.

I'm sure that the A6 is probably very nice though.

Upvote 0
Please see AnandTech - Apple iPhone 5: Announced

And then go back and read where the quotes end and his re-interpretation continues.

Anand didn't say that, he did. Along with his belief that HKMG is somehow newsworthy to the point of providing a link, I'll stand by my comment. :)

The author didn't reinterpret anything. Anand clearly writes in his article

Upvote 0
Ok you edited a lot probably while i was typing because that was not the same post I'm responding to, but it's not quad core so it doesn't really matter any more

Didn't mean to blind side you, sincere apologies if you felt I did.

I was part way into the post, got called away to mod, got back sooner than expected.

In any case, I added on to what I said.

Custom cores notwithstanding, expect Samsung to hit with a custom quad A15 setup in the Exynos 5 series, in the SGS4 getting announced in Barcelona next February.

PS - I did the math when the A6 details came out, pretty easy from that the A6 wasn't any form of the dual duals that you and the Mac author subscribed to. ;) Why so angry?

Upvote 0

Attachments

• iPhone5vsAndroid.png
    iPhone5vsAndroid.png
    271 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I too am thinking of switching to the new iPhone.
I have only been a droid user for about a year. I only have one because I was waiting for the iPhone5, instead we got the 4s, so i stayed with Android.
Please help me see why I should not switch.

Here are my pros and cons on Android
Pros
-Completely flexible, there are so many apps that allow you to choose which is the right one for you. Weather is is a keyboard or SMS there are options. Also the ability to root and rom your phone. I personally do not do. Something about it I don trust.
-Huge support groups/communities like this.
-A wide array of choices as far as the physical phone itself.

Cons
-This one is big for me. Not all phones receive the latest OS update, because there are too many phones for the vendors to maintain. Also it takes the vendor and service provider a long time to allow it to be pushed to the phones. I understand that is a good thing. I am still waiting for ICS on my DInc2.

Apple
I have had an iPod Touch since it was released and currently have the 4th gen.
That being said I have invested a lot of $ into apps/music/movies/book/etc via iTunes.
I like that there is just 1 phone. This allows simplicity when it comes to updates as well as accessories. I can walk into any electronic store and know that I can find something compatible with the iPhone.
iPhone5 is of course the latest and the greatest. The camera on the iphones since 4 have been able to take amazing pictures. Another +
Not to mention, that the iPhone5 will receive the next 4 or 5 OS updates.

However I am willing to see another point of view to help me see why i should stick with Android.

Upvote 0
Well, if you got a nexus device, they get the latest android version. Then all other device manufactures custom tailor that to their device.
So, the galaxy nexus, which is Google's flagship device, gets android 4.1.1. Then Motorola, Sony, HTC, LG, and etc take 4.1.1 and make it work on their hardware and add their own flavor to it.
So the way I see it, get a nexus device and experience android the way it's meant to be. I wouldn't get one right this moment because I'm sure the next nexus phone will b be out before Christmas.

Reactions: Rxpert83
Upvote 0
@skippybingo - stick with Android.

I have the iPhone 4s, went to the Apple store and played with the iPhone 5, next to my i4s.

Was not impressed. The phone feels far too narrow, the 4" display is a joke. I updated my i4s to iOS 6.0, finally got turn by turn directions (that Android has had forever). Still no LED notification for missed calls / texts, etc., on iPhone 5.

If I got an iPhone 5 I would hate it because I would miss the gorgeous display of the S3. I can actually read content comfortably on my S3 vs the iPhone 5.

Pretty much a no-brainer, imho, to stick with S3.

Upvote 0
Smartphones are damn expensive. You really have to be rich or a dedicated techno weenie to buy a new one every 12 months. If you like to and can afford to buy a new phone every 12 months, buy an Android. IMO unless you buy a nexus, a typical android becomes "obsolete" about 6-12 months after you buy it. With most androids you will be left wanting and waiting as the next OS update comes out. Also there is significant chance that if and when you get an update, it may be very buggy. And once again you are left waiting for a fix. Android models, cheap or expensive, are discontinued after about 12 months. The manufacturers are more interested in selling you an new phone not supporting an old one. So buying an android can be very satisfying as you will always buy the latest and best.

For most people smartphones are expensive. If you want high quality, lots of apps, ease of use, support and intend to hold onto the phone for 2-3 years (typically phone plan in Canada is 3 years), I have come to the personal conclusion that an apple is a better bet. I do not think apple is targeting current 4s owners to buy the 5. They are targeting new smartphone buyers or those who truly need to replace an old smartphone. The 4s gets a timely update and 4s owners should be left with a sense that their 4s will still be supported for a few more year's before they need to replace it. My wife and 16 year old son are still satisfied with their 3 year old 3GS. My 13 year old son is considering a 4s because of the drop in price. The 4s is not obsolete and will not be discontinued. The 4s will still be sold for the next year because it is still an excellent phone. I got 5 good years with my Treo. I am into my second year with an android based LG. It has been rocky with a delayed and poor update which wrecked the phone. Finally fixed a few months go. I have another year to go on my plan. I just played with the iPhone 5. It is smooth. I will probably get one when my current contract is up. I am confident that the 5 will still be a good value purchase in 12 months. I don't think I can say the same for most of the android equivalents.

Upvote 0
Honestly I couldn't really see all the fuss about these updates. For example, a lot of the new features on ICS was already present on the Galaxy SII 4mos before ICS was released, like hardware accelerated UI, the dialpad (which Google blatantly ripped off from TouchWiz IMO) and a few other stuff. Heck my gingerbread running Galaxy S still runs better than some of the lower end ICS phones out now (HTC Desire C for example).

Also, there is one catch for the people who argue that Androids don't get the latest OS updates. Actually they do, for the flagship device range at least, as long as the hardware is up to it. The SII will get JB. I have heard there have been ROM leaks for it from Samsung. The SIII will get it as well. The difference mainly that Android device support for updates lasts only 2 years compared to the iPhone's 3years. Anyway, point remains, Android flagships do get the latest updates usually. Don't compare the lower end phones to iPhones. There's a reason why they are cheaper.

Upvote 0
How can anyone not like Apple unless they can't afford it? It's glass and aluminum. It's a beautiful thing and is revolutionary.

Revolutionary? Really, come on. 5 years ago yes, but 2012 and just getting around to introducing a 4" screen and LTE is barely evolutionary. With their original unexpected success they have pretty much painted themselves into a corner. Still left with a non removable battery, no support for external sd card storage and to top it off and prove the point emphatically, where else but Apple could making changes to a proprietary connector be newsworthy ?

Upvote 0
I am confident that the 5 will still be a good value purchase in 12 months. I don't think I can say the same for most of the android equivalents.
But you seem to be zeroing in on the software, with so many different Android manufacturers the OS scene has become somewhat fragmented but going beyond that unlike Apple most Android phone manufacturers release more than one flagship product a year. The pace of hardware in this category is amazing to say the least. You talk about the iPhone 5 still being a good value in 12 months, think for a moment how much value an S3 or One X will have in a year while newer phones will be running circles around them by that point in time. In my opinion Android hardware is still revolutionary while Apple's is at best evolutionary.

Upvote 0
Here's my thoughts.....

Only got round to upgrading to an Android handset 2 months ago and I think, against my better judgement, that I shall be changing to iPhone 5.

I bought an LG Optimus L3(E400) handset with Android 2.3.6 to dip my toe in the world of Android, before my upcoming contract upgrade.

The handset came with "1Gb" of internal memory, and a slot for an SD Card. After setting up e-mail (2 accounts), calendar and contacts, and installing Facebook, Twitter and BBC News apps I got my first "phone storage is low" warning. It appeared that apps could only install to the system memory (157mb) which was full with the system. The internal memory remained unchanged.

I then rooted the phone (something I am reluctant to do with a contracted handset - this one was only

Upvote 0
But you seem to be zeroing in on the software, with so many different Android manufacturers the OS scene has become somewhat fragmented but going beyond that unlike Apple most Android phone manufacturers release more than one flagship product a year. The pace of hardware in this category is amazing to say the least. You talk about the iPhone 5 still being a good value in 12 months, think for a moment how much value an S3 or One X will have in a year while newer phones will be running circles around them by that point in time. In my opinion Android hardware is still revolutionary while Apple's is at best evolutionary.
You talking monetary or specs? Because I have the distinct feeling that a year after release, resale/trade-in value of the iPhone 5 will be higher than that of the Galaxy S3 or the One X.

Upvote 0
Here's my thoughts.....

Only got round to upgrading to an Android handset 2 months ago and I think, against my better judgement, that I shall be changing to iPhone 5.

I bought an LG Optimus L3(E400) handset with Android 2.3.6 to dip my toe in the world of Android, before my upcoming contract upgrade.

The handset came with "1Gb" of internal memory, and a slot for an SD Card. After setting up e-mail (2 accounts), calendar and contacts, and installing Facebook, Twitter and BBC News apps I got my first "phone storage is low" warning. It appeared that apps could only install to the system memory (157mb) which was full with the system. The internal memory remained unchanged.

I then rooted the phone (something I am reluctant to do with a contracted handset - this one was only

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Also, with Android there isn't the option to have a fully featured small handset...they all become mini tablets once they have decent specs.

Sony Xperia U (3.5"), Sony Xperia P (4"), Sony Xperia sola (3.7"), Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 (3.8"), Samsung Galaxy S Advance (4"), etc. All are dual-core which I'm finding is quite sufficient for responsive UI in a smartphone.

On the Galaxy Nexus (came with Jelly Bean), the entire space (minus space used by OS, etc) is useable for apps and data in much the same way as iOS devices.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
I know that newer phones such as the GS3 have more storage, but that's not much use if it's still unusable!

I have the lowest storage option Galaxy S3 (16 GB) and all of the internal memory (approx 12 GB after formatting and system files are installed) is available for use with apps. It functions exactly like an iPhone in that regard.

Some manufacturers have limited space internally and rely on SD cards for extra storage. Or have limited user accessible space on an internal SD card.

If you're really looking at possibly picking up an Android device, then you really should consider a high end one and not try to draw comparisons between two phones that are in different tiers and are by different manufacturers. I would recommend you consider an HTC One X or a Galaxy S3 and compare them against the iPhone 5. That would be a fair comparison. If you really are trying to be objective about it. If you're already set on an iPhone and wanted to do a 'sanity check' with a cheap Android, then I think you should just get the iPhone as your mind is already made up.

But your current comparison is like trying to compare a Fiat to a Ferrari.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
If you're really looking at possibly picking up an Android device, then you really should consider a high end one and not try to draw comparisons between two phones that are in different tiers and are by different manufacturers. I would recommend you consider an HTC One X or a Galaxy S3 and compare them against the iPhone 5. That would be a fair comparison. If you really are trying to be objective about it. If you're already set on an iPhone and wanted to do a 'sanity check' with a cheap Android, then I think you should just get the iPhone as your mind is already made up.

But your current comparison is like trying to compare a Fiat to a Ferrari.
+1. I bought a $150 off-contract LG Thrive (AT&T LG Optimus One) to test if I'd like the Android UI and check app availability. However, I never expected it to work as well as a $650 iPhone 4. That would just be an unfair comparison.

I must admit that the supposedly comparable Samsung Galaxy S 4G is a letdown while I found the Samsung Nexus S to be a very good alternative to the iPhone 4 (actually better now with Jelly Bean). Just goes to show how crappy software/bloatware can ruin a device. Unfortunately, while there are plenty of ROMs for various flavors of the Galaxy S, can't really find one for the T-Mobile 4G version.

Upvote 0
In my opinion, the iPhone 5 is perfect. It's fast and has great build quality. I think it's just the fact that the OS is basically the same. Funny how a phone can be pretty much perfect, but that's not always good enough lol.

People who like technology want new stuff, and currently, android is giving them that experience. Really creates quite a rift in the market lol.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones