• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5

Apple is smart and they know what they are doing.
There are good reasons why the iPhone 5 was released missing features some of you think are important.

Apple is not stupid.

Yep all that will be fixed in the iphone 5s IN which people will wait 3 days in line again and apple will make millions more off simple things like NFC and such.

Upvote 0
Really dumb:
apple-genius-ad.jpg

Upvote 0
It is much different from the 4 and the 4s, but it's really not much different from anything else on the market. It feels like catch up to me. Once upon a time, the iPhone came out and you waited for the Android phones to catch up to it spec wise and functionality wise. Now it feels like Android is ahead and Apple is catching up. Apple added features that people have been begging for for years. What is there next year? NFC and call it revolutionary? I can't think of anything else.

I'm not sure that is a bad thing or much different for Android.

What are your handset requirements? I know mine, in order, are reliability, call quality, effective display, data access, power efficiency, and proper app performance. Round it out with a pocket camera and I'm personally done.

The hardware is important but it only goes so far. The rest is on software. And after hardware goes far enough, it's superfluous.

Android is processor intensive, it will always benefit from processor improvements, iPhone is storage intensive, it will always benefit from more storage. That's driven by the fundamental natures of each ones operating system and app creation facilities.

Camera, music, Bluetooth, HDTV-compatibility, NFC and accessories are important quality feature differentiators, and while debatable, I think are lower order things, possibly for a great many people. (example - would you like twice the battery life or twice the camera over what you are carrying, right now today?)

My new S4 core EVO 4G LTE has the same general features as my S1 core EVO 4G from over two years ago. Except it's brighter and better looking, runs much more quickly at lower temperatures, has a longer battery time, and takes better pictures.

At some point, the hardware is enough and it's about the software.

And software has a way of making hardware obsolete. Look at your pc.

No, but when apple lacks features that are becoming the norm that's an opportunity for android makers to gain some ground. Unfortunately they don't know how to market the differences effectively

I don't think that Android makers know how to market at all, to be honest. I think that if it weren't for word of mouth and the internet, Android would be a dust collector.

Upvote 0
Yep all that will be fixed in the iphone 5s IN which people will wait 3 days in line again and apple will make millions more off simple things like NFC and such.

Exactly. By the time next Sept rolls around, there will be plenty of large screen Android phones with 12mp or greater cameras, 1080 HD displays with more than 326 ppi running quad core CPUs and badass GPUs that will make the iphone 5 look silly. iPhone will still have a pathetic 640 NON HD display, a dual core CPU and an outdated GPU. Apple will always be playing catch up rather than inventing or leading the pack. Those days are long gone.

Upvote 0
They say that one idiot is born every minute, in Apple's case it is one million every first day release...

I understand Apple has already patented the "Stupid Gullible Easily Fleeced User" feature which is why they seem to attract that much blind faith buyers.

We've all been fleeced on something. If you never have, give it time.

Glass houses, stones, and karma. I shy away from calling people names because of their brand choices, but your mileage may vary.

Upvote 0
Exactly. By the time next Sept rolls around, there will be plenty of large screen Android phones with 12mp or greater cameras, 1080 HD displays with more than 326 ppi running quad core CPUs and badass GPUs that will make the iphone 5 look silly. iPhone will still have a pathetic 640 NON HD display, a dual core CPU and an outdated GPU. Apple will always be playing catch up rather than inventing or leading the pack. Those days are long gone.

Next Sep? We are already seeing phones with 1080p and 12 MP cameras coming soon
Oppo reportedly readying world's first 1080p smartphone | Mobile - CNET News

Upvote 0
Actually, Apple did more than that. Take a look deeper into specifically what was changed and the phone is much different than the 4 or 4s. I think Apple deserves more credit for the changes that are being overlooked by many casual observers.

I think the reason people are not iPressed is they were expecting sweeping changes. When those did not arrive (on the surface) they complain about the device.

I do wonder what the 5s/6 will bring. Surely, Apple is smart and they monitor the issues and complaints and perhaps we will see something quite unlike the 5. Or not. Perhaps the 6 will be larger or thinner still or a better screen or who really knows. I am sure a prototype exists somewhere.

I think a lot of people weren't "ipressed" (lol) bc the leaks were correct. There was no surprises. Everyone who cared to peek at the leaks knew exactly what apple had done.

Upvote 0
Sometimes it is good to re-evaluate what we need.

A mobile phone needs to send/receive calls and fit in a pocket. A Galaxy S2 is about as big as a pocket can hold with a small silicone case.

Data speeds: 3G is plenty fast enough for email and such in a timely manner.

Screen: Readable and typable, 4"+ fits the bill and eyes/fingers only get worse with age.

Processor/RAM: A dual core 1.0Ghz with 768MB can run 90%+.

These qualifications fit 99% of users and beyond this you are paying for pride or being an early tech-adapter.

Upvote 0
They say that one idiot is born every minute, in Apple's case it is one million every first day release...

I understand Apple has already patented the "Stupid Gullible Easily Fleeced User" feature which is why they seem to attract that much blind faith buyers.

You know . . . just because you joined an Android forum, this does not mean you must hate Apple and her customers. Did you know that? It is OK to like Apple and be fair and balanced at the same time. I LOVE MY IPAD! I LOVE APPLE! I RESPECT STEVE JOBS. (and Larry Ellison) I am a fanboy!

I am fairly successful. I am smart. I can do many things and those things I do not do or cannot do, I could do if I decided to step off my soapbox and try. I could do your job with very little training and quite likely, I would end up being your boss in short order because I am just that brilliant. And I do not know what you do for a living, either. :p

I freely admit to being an Apple fanboy. I call myself that to save you some time. To some people, if you use any Apple device, you are a fanboy. So I wear the moniker with great pride.

I suggest that if you want to find joy here, go ahead and be critical of Apple. Say their crap is crap. Dislike Apple because of the suits. Just do not call me (and other iDevice users) stupid, gullible and easily fleeced users, because I assure you, sir, I am not gullible, stupid and those that try to fleece me always fail.

I do not resort to calling Android users names. Some of the gathered group are quite smart. Like Early . . he knows stuff and even I learn from him on the odd occasion. Others, sadly, are of the opinion that to be here, you must hate Apple. I assure you that is incorrect.

You can freely proclaim your Apple love and the reasonable along us will not shy away from you. Others will, but they are morons with opinions that matter not.:rolleyes:You become an Android Fanboy, the very thing you demean others for being. that is to say, Apple Fan boys.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Sometimes it is good to re-evaluate what we need.

A mobile phone needs to send/receive calls and fit in a pocket. A Galaxy S2 is about as big as a pocket can hold with a small silicone case.

Data speeds: 3G is plenty fast enough for email and such in a timely manner.

Screen: Readable and typable, 4"+ fits the bill and eyes/fingers only get worse with age.

Processor/RAM: A dual core 1.0Ghz with 768MB can run 90%+.

These qualifications fit 99% of users and beyond this you are paying for pride or being an early tech-adapter..

Interesting choice of words . . . tech-adapter or did you mean tech adopter? The latter suggests you adopt the tech made available. The first suggests we must adapt to the tech "they" shove at us. In some ways, both are true.

Primarily, I need a phone and cheap flip phone would serve my most important needs. I must have email access on the go as well as text capabilities. Not my choice; I prefer not to conduct business during lunch, but I love money and if they cannot reach me, I am not paid.

That said, a V-4 will do what I need my car to do, but I actually do NEED 400+ HP or life is not worth living.

Upvote 0
@emon: you're right. if Android makers could step up their marketing the way Apple has, maybe things would be different.

I see ten Android commercials for every iPhone/iPad commercial. Something else is happening. I just saw their ear phone commercial. It was enough to make me believe that Apple's ear-buds are better than other brands. I cannot prove it; I just know it because the commercial is very well done.

I see the iPad commercials and they tell me that the iPad is better than Android tablets without saying the words in so many words. I see the Android tablet commercials and one brand is proud of how it can do these amazing things but many of those amazing things it can do is due to software that any tablet can run.

I just feel like the iPad is the best choice whenever I see their commercials. I go to BB and look at Android tablets and some do not work, others are shop worn and a few are damaged. I look at the iPads and everything is perfect. Clean, they look nice, they have a strong glass screen and they are made of metal. Apple demands a certain kind of store display (I think) and that, too, sends a message.

I pick up an iPad and give it a go and it works without thinking. Some android tablets have that little multi-square icon in the corner near the top and nobody can figure how to get to the apps. And which tablet? Dozens of tablets on the Android side but only one iPad.

From product to sales and advertising to customer service, Apple is first class all the way and people seem to know this without knowing anything about the minutia we discuss here. Android has a long way to go because they are not Apple and being Apple means something to millions of people, no matter how true their ads are. Give people a choice between a free iPad or a free Android tablet, and they will likely select the iPad.

What do you think Android makers should do? Everyone knows about Android, but many purchase iPhones. Apparently, Android sales are growing and overall, they eclipse Apple's. But no single manufacturer outsells the iPhone. Or has something changed?

Apple is wildly successful with just a few models yet no Android manufacturer has what Apple has. Lets face it, Apple is very clever and smart; they have what every Android maker desperately wants but might never have unless Apple screws up big time. And the patent wars are likely something the majority of people do not give a rat

Upvote 0
Next Sep? We are already seeing phones with 1080p and 12 MP cameras coming soon
Oppo reportedly readying world's first 1080p smartphone | Mobile - CNET News

I know a bit about that specific device. I love vaporware, so I follow the "Apple pie in the sky talk of grand designs with unbeatable performance comming to a theater near you at some future date after the date and pricing is determined" products.

I can hardly wat 'till 2019 when it is released or December, 2012 when some other company releases one of their own.

Serioously, it might look good on paper but it might never appear in person. Lots of companies readying or preparing to release or will soon unviel this and that at some point. I'll consider it when I can touch it and until then, I'll buy the tangable and available at my local dealer kinds of products.

I wish the company luck. It would be cool to see but I might not consider it if it is too costly, on contract or my dealer can't get them.

Upvote 0
We've all been fleeced on something. If you never have, give it time.

Glass houses, stones, and karma. I shy away from calling people names because of their brand choices, but your mileage may vary.

Not me. I am un-fleeceable. I choose to be taken advantage of, Early. Since I tell myself it is actually my choice, I have never been fleeced. That would suggest I was taken advantage of and it was not my choice.

I choose to invest in that water proof widget factory in the Gobi desert because the door to door salesman had actual honest to God infographics that proved I would earn a 400% return. The colors were just too bright to be fraudulent and he used real clip art, too. Real clip art, Early, REAL CLIP ART. I was told it was what Jesus would do, so I jumped on board.

I could run for president. See how I turned it around?

Upvote 0
if the android marketing was as good as apple's... android would be #1!

wait... dont android have over 50% of the market? and if we did have the marketing power of apple.. then what? :p

Many manufacturers releasing dozens of new devices every year probably out sell Apple as a group. I'll just say it is so and assume that Android taken all together out sells Apple.

But Apple has but a few models and Apple outsells individual manufacturers. Hell, the iPhone alone earns more money than the whole of Microsoft. I always use that fact because it is quite illuminating and it shows just how big a deal iPhones are where it truly counts: the bottom line.

I think Apple achieved something amazing because the few iPhones models they sell represent vast amounts of cash compared to individual makers of Android phones. Amounts no single manufacturer likely earns from their phones.

All too often, people say Android outsells Apple but they fail to delve into what that actually means.

Upvote 0
Not me. I am un-fleeceable. I choose to be taken advantage of, Early. Since I tell myself it is actually my choice, I have never been fleeced. That would suggest I was taken advantage of and it was not my choice.

I choose to invest in that water proof widget factory in the Gobi desert because the door to door salesman had actual honest to God infographics that proved I would earn a 400% return. The colors were just too bright to be fraudulent and he used real clip art, too. Real clip art, Early, REAL CLIP ART. I was told it was what Jesus would do, so I jumped on board.

I could run for president. See how I turned it around?

No. Not really.

NSFW

tim-cook-on-the-new-apple-ear-phones.jpg

Upvote 0
Many manufacturers releasing dozens of new devices every year probably out sell Apple as a group. I'll just say it is so and assume that Android taken all together out sells Apple.

But Apple has but a few models and Apple outsells individual manufacturers. Hell, the iPhone alone earns more money than the whole of Microsoft. I always use that fact because it is quite illuminating and it shows just how big a deal iPhones are where it truly counts: the bottom line.

I think Apple achieved something amazing because the few iPhones models they sell represent vast amounts of cash compared to individual makers of Android phones. Amounts no single manufacturer likely earns from their phones.

All too often, people say Android outsells Apple but they fail to delve into what that actually means.

but for them to have over 50% of the market .. without the great marketing says a lot.

if they could have a great marketing reality bending powers...
then we could get all the crazy silly long-line going purchasers to spend stupid amounts of money on android.. and get huge margins too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones