• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5

Wow, what a mess. That many people crammed into close quarters like that is a time bomb just waiting to explode. Sounds more like a prison than a "dorm". Before any posters get too smug about this, though, they should know Foxconn also makes components for probably every Android phone out there. All of us here in the States and the rest of the west are probably guilty of complaining about our jobs, but reading something like this should give us reason to give thanks for what we have. My heart goes out to to those who have to work under those conditions.

Upvote 0
You know . . . just because you joined an Android forum, this does not mean you must hate Apple and her customers. Did you know that? It is OK to like Apple and be fair and balanced at the same time. I LOVE MY IPAD! I LOVE APPLE! I RESPECT STEVE JOBS. (and Larry Ellison) I am a fanboy!

I am fairly successful. I am smart. I can do many things and those things I do not do or cannot do, I could do if I decided to step off my soapbox and try. I could do your job with very little training and quite likely, I would end up being your boss in short order because I am just that brilliant. And I do not know what you do for a living, either. :p

I freely admit to being an Apple fanboy. I call myself that to save you some time. To some people, if you use any Apple device, you are a fanboy. So I wear the moniker with great pride.

I suggest that if you want to find joy here, go ahead and be critical of Apple. Say their crap is crap. Dislike Apple because of the suits. Just do not call me (and other iDevice users) stupid, gullible and easily fleeced users, because I assure you, sir, I am not gullible, stupid and those that try to fleece me always fail.

I do not resort to calling Android users names. Some of the gathered group are quite smart. Like Early . . he knows stuff and even I learn from him on the odd occasion. Others, sadly, are of the opinion that to be here, you must hate Apple. I assure you that is incorrect.

You can freely proclaim your Apple love and the reasonable along us will not shy away from you. Others will, but they are morons with opinions that matter not.:rolleyes:You become an Android Fanboy, the very thing you demean others for being. that is to say, Apple Fan boys.

I generally agree with you.... except for the second paragraph. I am a structural engineer and I am brilliant at what I do. But I also know because of the large field I am in, there will always be some who are better at certain things. There are always people and things to learn from. Intelligence allows for many advantages including the ability to learn different things and being good at those things, but there would always be someone better. For example, I could learn to play the piano, but I do not believe I could ever be the next Beethoven.

Apple do make great products. But at the end of the day, people would choose one item over another because of their personal preference for features that are important to them.

I choose the S2 because it had everything that any smartphone including the iPhone had. But the reason why I picked it over the iPhone because I wanted the bigger screen, and the customization. There was no bigger screen iPhone, and you needed to jailbreak to get similar customization levels.

I didn't choose say HTC phones because the S2 had the bigger screen with the faster processor at that time. So in the end, its all about balancing the features available and to choose what is more important to you. And of course what is available.

Many chose the iPhone for the same reasons like you said, knowing that it would work in your hand from out of the box, and many people want that. They don't want to spend time figuring out how to play with homescreens, arranging folders, playing around with widgets and that is also a valid choice. They want it to just work.

At the end of the day choosing one over the other doesn't have to mean you have to hate each other.

That's my opinion on the phones.

I actually don't really like Apple very much, specially since they start suing everybody, and stop concentrating on what they do best. Come out with industrial standard products. But that has no bearing on the phone I choose. If the iPhone was head and shoulders above any other phone, and gave the features that I want, I would still get it.

Just because one doesn't like Samsung / Apple / Sony, you take a personal stance and not buy the best product available if its from the manufacturer you hate.... For me, that is self-defeating since you are denying yourself a possible choice which can be the best for you.

I am simply a supporter of the best available product. IMHO the best phone is currently SGS3 and that's why I got that for my father. However, I understand other people might think differently and I can accept that. And I think its really a simple thing to respect other people's choices and preference for what's more important to them.

Upvote 0
So I was at the pub this last Saturday. I got to chatting with the lady sitting next to me. She was asking me about my Galaxy s3 and how I like it. She was thinking about getting one. She then goes on to say her mom recently got one and really likes it. She also goes on to tell me her mom got the White so it "Looks like she has an iPhone" :thinking::mad:

This is proof about what I tell people. There are people out there that buy iPhones to use as a status symbol. Never mind it's outdated hardware.

Upvote 0
This is the Evidence that Apple People purchases Apple Devices without even looking at the Technical Specs

Technical specs aren't everything.

Let's say that the new iPhone had a better processor, more ram, more memory, microSD, stereo radio fm, TV receiver, a 3,500mAh battery, and the geekbench scores tore the best android phone a new one.

Would people here switch? Nope. I bet most people here would rather have a G1 over a iPhone 5, and it's not because of the hardware. It's all about the software for people here when looking at the different platforms.

Upvote 0
Whoops, a few issues are popping up. Yes, any launch of any phone comes with problems...but perhaps these were rushed a bit.

iPhone 5: Scratching, scuffs on new phones have buyers angry

iPhone 5 light leak: White model leaking light from glass display

The iPhone 4 was no different. Screens yellow with excess glue (burned off after sufficient use), the antenna debacle.

Didn't hurt them a bit, just made their fans more defensive of Apple's high quality standards.

A silly meme that will die when people stop discussing beta vs vhs.

Reactions: 3vodroid
Upvote 0
Technical specs aren't everything.

Let's say that the new iPhone had a better processor, more ram, more memory, microSD, stereo radio fm, TV receiver, a 3,500mAh battery, and the geekbench scores tore the best android phone a new one.

Would people here switch? Nope. I bet most people here would rather have a G1 over a iPhone 5, and it's not because of the hardware. It's all about the software for people here when looking at the different platforms.

Well specs doesn't mainly matter because android OS is so different to iOS. So for the specs of the iPhone, apple has to compensate with their really polished OS. Otherwise they will be having trouble/issues. Although that's one main reason why apple feels skeptical at changing or redesigning their OS because of the loss of performance and efficiency .

But in the other hand. Android is really bringing all their horsepower to the software field and are making a great OS that really competes with apple if not beats it. and that is one of few reason why galaxy s3 is better almost anyway.... and will keep being :)

Upvote 0
That's why Apple is second to none when it comes to advertising.
The iPhone is most definitely a status symbol, but a profitable one. They make sure that it's out front everywhere you look, read and hear. You didn't hear all this hoopla when the S3 dropped.
It doesn't matter that it us 2 generations behind Android, or that the case looks worn after handling it a few times. All that matters is the bottom line, and there's is looking pretty good right now. The phone might be a laughing matter, but Apple marketing is top notch.

Upvote 0
That's why Apple is second to none when it comes to advertising.
The iPhone is most definitely a status symbol, but a profitable one. They make sure that it's out front everywhere you look, read and hear. You didn't hear all this hoopla when the S3 dropped.
It doesn't matter that it us 2 generations behind Android, or that the case looks worn after handling it a few times. All that matters is the bottom line, and there's is looking pretty good right now. The phone might be a laughing matter, but Apple marketing is top notch.

And the TV networks making them the day's top story helps with this. Apple must love all the free advertising and publicity they get when they release a new phone.

Upvote 0
I think most people don't think about the real benefit of having the iPhone around. It creates competition for Google and Android. That competition forces both sides to provide the very best to win customers. That means better products for the consumers (us). We all are winners regardless of what we like.

unless you beat them to death with lawsuits, which tends to stymie innovation :(

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
unless you beat them to death with lawsuits, which tends to stymie innovation :(

That's true. Greed ruins everything. I have my own opinion about Apple's motivation about doing this. I will just say that I think most of their infringement claims are overblown. If you can't beat 'em in the market, beat 'em in the court room.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones