Iphone and Droid X sales figures to date

Last Updated:

1. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am tired hearing about the Iphone sales figures. Has Motorola posted any figures on Droid X sales/ pre-orders. Time to kick some butt with the X.

Advertisement
  2. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

I'd bet that the pre-order numbers for the X are pretty small since it hasn't been widely announced that you can pre-order and it is only through Best Buy (and maybe some other resellers).

3. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

all the best buys around me had like 20 preorders. All but 1. im number 2 on their list :D

4. rootedEris

rootedEris Banned

ohh im in long island, new york. i bet the the stores in manhattan are all sold out.

5. jimbo1mcm

jimbo1mcm Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Best Buy in Waterford CT

6. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Yeah, and there are ~1200 BB stores in the world. So, if each one has 20 preorders, you are talking ~24,000 preorders. Not really something to brag about.

7. durangojim

durangojim Well-Known Member

I don't think there's any point comparing any phone to the iphone in terms of sales. Iphone sold 1.7 million through saturday, the droid x will be no where near that becuase there's a great new Android phone every 3 months, not one per year, and there are multiple phones that run Android, not just one plus its previous iterations. The only thing you can look at is how many new devices or users who have never used ios or android are starting, and that's where android is really picking up steam.

8. nevergonnauseth

nevergonnauseth Well-Known Member

well according to the x's release party, there's 160,000 new activations per day of android phones. in the iphone vs android wars, its much better to view the platform instead of strictly hardware sales

9. TheVaristy

TheVaristy Well-Known Member

Just something to consider. Apple sells 1.7 million iphones in 3 days. I read that 77% of those sales were upgrades. If this is true, that means 1,309,000 were upgrades. This also means only 391,000 were new activations. Google says they activate 160,000 new phones per day, meaning over the same 3 day stretch there were 480,000 new android activations.

I know that 160,000 new activations includes upgrades as well, but I would argue that it is a low percentage.

So, I must ask...given these numbers....is this that impressive a win for Apple?
    Heck, is it even a win at all?

10. csreborn

csreborn Well-Known Member

This is true and Google's strategy. 1v1 sales the iPhone will destroy any other phone.

11. TheVaristy

12. ckochinsky125

ckochinsky125 Banned

when i went in to preorder there was only 1 other person who had preordered one there may be more now but as of then there were only 2. I don't think the numbers will be anywhere near as high as the iphone, since its not released yet and it isn't very widely announced about preorders.

13. Kazrell

Kazrell Well-Known Member

The idea of Android selling 160k devices per day isn't accurate, at that rate they would sell some 58,400,000 units in a year. In addition according to Number of Android Phones Sold | Number Of | How Many
    they have sold through 2009 some 8.5m handsets. While that number has increased with the EVO and Incredible - it pales in comparison to the iPhone which has sold 41.5m iPhone through 2009 Number Of iPhones Sold | Number Of | How Many

And with current estimates of last weekends new handset is any indication of sales this year I would suspect that the 41.5 would grow to some 44m handsets.

14. TheVaristy

15. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

16. tsanuri

tsanuri Well-Known Member

17. TheVaristy

18. Kazrell

I'm not sure on that - but if Android was selling 160,000 units a day they would be talking about it more than they are. Especially on he hells of Apple selling 1.7m iPhones in 3 days.

Also, I think it's worthy to note that Apple gets paid no matter if it's an upgrade or new activation. It's probably the same with Android devices as well. I'm not sure exactly what the financials are but some website estimated that apple gets $432 over the course of a 2 year contract for the iPhone. Plus I believe they get a percentage of the special data plan for each iPhone sold. I wonder if Verizon is opening up the purses as for Android devices?

19. TheVaristy

They made a pretty big deal about it at the Droid X event. Just because they aren't in your face about it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

And yes, Apple does get paid either way. I can't deny that. But I can say that they lost money on each 16gb iphone they sold.

20. TheVaristy

At least when it comes to the hardware itself. Isuppli reports that the 16gb is $187.51 in parts alone. This does not cover manufacturing, delivery, marketing, hush money for Foxconn employees, etc.

That was a cheap shot...I know. For what it is worth, I don't blame Apple for any of that. Just a little joke.

21. Kazrell

LOL, hush money. Someone is Asia is getting kick back money for keeping the prototypes out of the loop, with the exception of that poor engineer. Will he ever get a job again?

22. antiDroidxxx

antiDroidxxx New Member

There is a reason you havent seen any sales numbers for the Droid X. I its the same teason why no one is switching phone company to get an X, its also the same teason why there are no lines around the blocks of any verizon stores. Its not an Iphone

23. antiDroidxxx

antiDroidxxx New Member

Oh I heard that Verizon is getting the i=iPhone in January... Bye Bye Droid

24. Foolish Mortal

Foolish Mortal Well-Known Member

Sweet! I like your style! You get a special merit badge for reviving a thread that was dead almost a month ago, to sew on your mighty troll sash. It's the incredibly rare "Late to the Party" merit badge.

lorick and ndfan4u like this.
  25. D13

D13 Well-Known Member

Wow...and...wow. You are cool