iPhone converters, how are you syncing your contacts to the Evo?

Last Updated:

1. mr.almeida

mr.almeida Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Will using Google Sync work? I sync my iPhone to my Gmail account and when I activate my Evo will my contacts show up? Thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. RedsGT

RedsGT Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

as soon as you enter your gmail account on the phone, everything you use under that username, contacts, calendar, the whole nine yards will be there easier than pie!

4. mr.almeida

Shit I just erased all my contacts and I can't find them in Google Sync. LOL I'm a jackass.

5. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

What about the contacts I have that are only phone numbers and no email address? How do I sync those?

6. mr.almeida

Well that's what I was trying to do and I erased all my numbers, but here's the link I was using.

Google Sync for your phone

7. Sherman901

Sherman901 Well-Known Member

I've already got my contacts synced with Google and Address Book so they are one and the same. It will be very easy to switch to the EVO.

8. kmbutts

kmbutts Well-Known Member

Same here. Easy as pie! ;)

9. mr.almeida

Yea I finally see how it works. This thing is cool as hell I don't know why I didn't do it earlier. I hate syncing with iTunes.

10. Liberation

What did you figure out?

I already have my Google calender sync'd on my iPhone (through the Exchange option) using the Google sync instructions but I don't see how it saved my phone contacts though.

Any ideas?

11. aliveon2legs

aliveon2legs Well-Known Member

I tried this and all it did was move my email addresses from my Gmail account to my phone. It didn't move my phone numbers to Gmail, which is what I needed to happen.

12. legacy

legacy Well-Known Member

You can also use iTunes to export your contacts to a CSV file, and then import that file into your Google account.

13. mr.almeida

You have to log out of your Gmail account and login for it to appear or refresh the page! You go to "Contacts" on the left and everytime you go to check your Gmail on the iPhone it'll send new contacts to your account.

14. Liberation

You're lucky because it's not working for me.

I went into my Email settings on my phone and added 'Contacts' for syncing and then logged back into my Gmail account several times after checking my Gmail on my phone....and nothing.

I'm really excited about getting my phone on Friday but this is what iPhone users are talking about when you hear 'it just works' because with iTunes....all you do is plug and play. It's just that simple but this of course....more complicated.

Sorry, just frustrated....

15. mr.almeida

Hmmm... Try adding a new contact and see if that works. That will blow if it only picks up new contacts. I accidentally deleted all mine and had to add 40 contacts just now.

16. kmbutts

kmbutts Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you are having problems.....Did you check to see that your contacts were set to sync with Gmail from inside iTunes? If not, that is the reason you are unable to get it to work correctly.

17. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Well-Known Member

Not working for me either. It synced my calendar and email contacts but not my phonebook ones. I had sync turned on for all.

18. aliveon2legs

Okay, I didn't realize you could set it to sync with Gmail in iTunes. So, my question is, if I set it to sync with Google, is it going to import all of my Google contacts and erase the existing ones on my phone?.. because that would be bad.

19. aliveon2legs

Anybody? Syncing my iPhone in iTunes always makes me nervous.

20. Synthetickiller

Synthetickiller Well-Known Member

I just typed out all my contact into excel and saved it. I don't have over 50 contacts though, so it's not a big deal for me.

I want a visual copy, not just a file.

21. Napoleon_PhoneApart

Napoleon_PhoneApart Well-Known Member

I established a new Gmail account (I have several) and exported my Windows contacts as a csv file. I imported into my Gmail account and added the few phone numbers here and there that didn't come across with the import.

22. Maulgrym

Maulgrym Member

I got it to sync all my contacts fine, but it didn't sync my calendar even thought I set it up too. I don't use my Iphone calendar for much so not a big deal.

It is doubling my contacts when I use the "all contacts" since I now have the same contacts from gmail and from my pc. I deleted them all once, but they came back when I synced with Itunes. Not worried about that though since I only have a couple more days of use on the Iphone.