Iphone envy? No more!General

Last Updated:

1. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator This Topic's Starter

I've always liked the iPhone, but not the at&t service it's attached to. Among several reasons like high cost, at&t's signal doesn't penetrate my home at all. One of the guys I occasionally go to Giant games with is a big iPhone guy. The way it was in the past was he would show off some great feature/app and I'd say my WM Touch Pro could do it too. Then the TP would crash or hang or generally fail and I'd feel that iPhone envy pang again. Yesterday was different. I showed him my Moment and he wasn't overly impressed. I mentioned the shopsavvy app since I knew it was originally a iPhone app. he downloaded it. Turns out the moments camera works much better as a bar code scanner. There were no crucial apps that he used that weren't available in the marketplace too. We both used our phone for several hours, took lots of pictures, web surfing, texting and a few calls. Comes the 3rd quarter and he asks to borrow my phone. The iPhone is out of juice, I'm at 50% battery. He starts to walk back into the walkway to get out of the crowd noise, then realizes that unlike his iPhone, he can hear just fine and comes back. When he hands the phone back, he comments that it sounds great. The game ends in OT (Giants win!) and we're driving home. His iPhone is still dead, but my 7 yr old son is using my phone to play chess, hangman and checkers. Finally, when were 10 min from home I get the 15% warning and I have iPhone envy no more!

Advertisement
    Coldcloud likes this.
  2. acp

acp Well-Known Member

great post

3. Gremlyn1

Gremlyn1 Well-Known Member

I love a happy ending :)

4. Flipper

Flipper Guest

Having been surrounded by iphone users (friends and family) who have constantly rubbed it in my face about their cool phones and me, wanting ro remain loyal to Sprint and not associate myself with a company that's linked to Cingular (my old provider), it's awesome reading a story like that.

Thanks for the post! :D

5. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

Great post! This is how I feel anytime someone pulls out an iPhone next to me. Then I'll pull up a Youtube video, they will inevitably comment on how great it looks, then say something about how they wish they had 3G coverage in the area...then slowly, sadly walk away.

6. dkjones96

dkjones96 Well-Known Member

My sister always complains about her iPhone dying. I didn't even realize battery life was an issue but she says if you don't have a dock handy, like most iPhone/iPod users do, they end up dying. I then noticed that a couple of my friends always plugged their phone some sort of charger in their car while driving.

Funny the things you never notice.

7. bexier

bexier Active Member

A friend of mine has the iPhone 3Gs and he has always been saying how great it is. Well it had been awhile sense I saw him. When we got together he still had the Old phone (by this time its 1 year old and slow) and began showing me pictures of his kids. Then I showed pictures of my kids as a slide show on a kickstand.

He just about messed his pants when he saw the kickstand.

Now iPhone users are finally envious of our android phones

Especially since that POS iPhone 4 is out.

8. billfoster424

billfoster424 New Member

Kickstand for a Moment? Where did you get it? I would like one!

9. bexier

bexier Active Member

Whoops wrong forum. EVO

10. Instinct User

Instinct User Well-Known Member

bexier has an Evo

11. Instinct User

Oops, beat me to it :)

12. ovrrdrive

ovrrdrive Well-Known Member

It's going to be very interesting over the next year while Android becomes the phone of choice. Apple has all but sealed the coffin of the iphone with their newest model, and the press is running rampant with its downfalls. It makes me laugh when I see people talking about class action lawsuits and I have to wonder if they are really that bad or if certain high-profile android supporters are just doing that for more bad press. Andoid has already started selling more phones that apple and imo the os is just really starting to shine. With google backing it I have a feeling that over the next few years it's going to really take off. I'll give it a year before about half of the iphone users have jumped ship...

13. pastafarian

pastafarian Pâtes avec votre foie Moderator This Topic's Starter

They're still selling boatloads of iPhones, it's demise is highly exaggerated. It's nice to see Apples marketing machine loose a little control of its message though. The fanbois will remain, but maybe now it's possible to chip away a little at the iPhone zombies. I think from now on, the iPhone may have to sell itself on its merits, not just that it's the iPhone. It's great to see people who waxed poetic about their 3g/3gs experience a few months ago now admit it was a lousy phone that had poor call quality and massive connection issues. It's not that the iPhone hasn't been a landmark device. Without it, the smartphone market wouldn't be as far along as it is. It's just nice to see that it may no longer be getting a free pass by the tech media just because they desire Steve's favor.

14. Stoney62

Stoney62 Well-Known Member

To folks who were getting all excited aabout the EVO I would say Not without a physical Keyboard. WHOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO here comes the EPIC. I've been happy with my Moment, but I must say, I'm looking forward to the EPIC come Nov when my year is up. My wife will put the Moment to good use though.

15. bexier

bexier Active Member

Moving Parts scare me. The Evo screen is so large and type correction is so spot on, virtual keyboard doesn't even phase me.

16. Instinct User

After moving from the Instinct (full touch screen) to the Moment (slide out keyboard) I don't know if I'll ever want another phone that doesn't have a physical keyboard. I've used swype and shapewriter but they're still not as accurate for me as the physical keyboard. It looks like the Epic will be my next phone too.

17. latinmaxima

latinmaxima Well-Known Member

Same here. Came from the instinct and going to the Epic. I like the EVO and get to play with it since my brother has one but I think the EPIC will just be that much better. I like the physical keyboard. I also use swype.