• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone is better - come see why

ItsLL

Jan 22, 2013
I apologize about the title but I knew it would gain attention

I'm 5 days into my S3 from an iPhone and I need assistance or rather I will state what's better on the iPhone that I miss and veteran android users can help me

1- the stock head phones can skip track via buttons
2- the Nike+ running app doesn't allow you to change the distance you ran if you we're on a treadmill and the app is wrong (on the android). Maybe a better app?
3- god damn auto mutha flippin correct
4- iTunes to play music content on phone on the computer. I'm not going to lie, Kies sucks.
5- as much as I like poweramp, I think there are things missing. I've got 9 days left on my trial. I need more! Maybe ways to control track and especially volume from lock screen without bringing down the notification slider.
6- S voice has no personality. Siri does. I like S voice a lot but she isn't personable.

That's what I miss on my iPhone. I am asking for help to do one or both of the following;
Suggest a super wicked awesome replacement app
Or
Tell me how to fix my issue within the mentioned app

I've numbered them for quick reference for ease for my fellow android lovers.

Don't get me wrong, I love my phone and jelly bean and I don't want to offend you guys because I'm sure some of you are hardcore, and that's cool and all but im kind of saying "I love my new vanilla ice cream but sometime chocolate tastes better depending on the time, so you download an app for Neapolitan"

Know what I mean? Any help would be fantastic!

Side note, instead of obamas face with the word change underneath it should be the android there. It may have sounded funnier in my head.

1.) Most bluetooth headsets have volume and track control with no wires to get in the way.

3.) iPhone has/had auto-correct. There are a plethora of great keyboard apps out there where you can configure EVERYTHING including turning off auto-correct. I'm using Kii right now and it's awesome.

4.) I use Player Pro for my music player but to be honest I almost never use it because I always just stream music from the cloud from Rhapsody.

5.) Never used S-voice, do use Google Now/Voice and find it very fast and accurate. I had the iPhone 4 so didn't have Siri, but was playing around with a friends the other day and found the 'personality' you spoke of quite annoying. When I ask for an answer to something from a computer, I expect a quick, professional answer, not "Hmm... Let me see if I can find that for you." If you need that I would suggest maybe some friends or a significant other, or maybe a dog? :)

Give it some more time. I don't know how long you've been over on Android but after about two weeks I really started to get a handle on Android and now a couple months in you couldn't pay me to go back to iPhone.

iPhone = vanilla ice cream in a bowl with no toppings - you get what you get, it's sweet but not very exciting.

Android = limitless flavors anyway you want it, anyway you can imagine it!!!

Upvote 0
1. PowerAmp and Player Pro has a setting so you can skip tracks on the stock headphone using a long press of the stock headset button.

3. You miss it? How about going to keyboard settings and turning it on? :) Its in there. You can also download other keyboards. And yeah, try Swype or Swiftkey Flow as replacement keyboards.

4. Plug in your phone, open My Computer, go to your phone, go to folder where you keep your music, highlight what you want to play, hit enter. It will play on your PC's default player (WinAMP, VLC, Windows Media Player). Just treat it like a flash drive.

5. Its in the PowerAMP settings actually. You need to turn on lockscreen player and volume control in the lockscreen. If you need more than 9 days, buy it.

6. You do know there are several alternatives on the Play Store right? Jeannie, Speaktoit, Vlingo...etc.

Upvote 0
4- iTunes to play music content on phone on the computer. I'm not going to lie, Kies sucks.

iTunes sucks, unless you have a Mac. I always tried to avoid using any device specific proprietary software for music with my phones and media players.

5- as much as I like poweramp, I think there are things missing. I've got 9 days left on my trial. I need more! Maybe ways to control track and especially volume from lock screen without bringing down the notification slider.

Have a look at some other music apps. There's plenty to choose from.

6- S voice has no personality. Siri does. I like S voice a lot but she isn't personable.

TBH I found neither of them worked as they're supposed to. Probably because I don't have an American accent. Lenovo's LeVoice can be OK, but you have to be fluent in Mandarin.

Upvote 0

Others have answered you questions better than I ever could have. My favorite keyboard is Swiftkey, allow it access to your texts/facebook and the predictions become eerily correct very quickly.

Good luck with your Android transition. I am not part of an iFamily ... so I don't understand the draw to the Apple products ... but I love being able to connect to any old Micro USB to charge, drag and drop files from my computer to my phone and make my screen look any way I want it too (not limited to the standard grid).

Welcome!

Upvote 0
ItsLL;[URL="tel:5465702" said:
5465702[/URL]]

2- the Nike+ running app doesn't allow you to change the distance you ran if you we're on a treadmill and the app is wrong (on the android). Maybe a better app?

1 - Use a set of bluethooth head phones. They have great sound and you can answer/make phone calls too.

2 - I use "CardioTrainer" you can edit the stats after completing your workout.

4 - I have a 3mm audio-in cable, with my computer speakers, that I use by just plugging it in the headphone jack to hear my music from my cellphone.

5 - I have been using PowerAMP Pro for years and love all the customization and features it has. You can control your music from the lock screen if you enable it within the settings. You can control the volume by using the vol. up/down on the side of phone. What other things are you missing and I can tell you it PowerAMP can do it?

Upvote 0

I'm 5 days into my S3 from an iPhone and I need assistance or rather I will state what's better on the iPhone that I miss and veteran android users can help me

That's what I miss on my iPhone. I am asking for help to do one or both of the following;
Suggest a super wicked awesome replacement app
Or
Tell me how to fix my issue within the mentioned app

I've numbered them for quick reference for ease for my fellow android lovers.

Don't get me wrong, I love my phone and jelly bean and I don't want to offend you guys because I'm sure some of you are hardcore, and that's cool and all but im kind of saying "I love my new vanilla ice cream but sometime chocolate tastes better depending on the time, so you download an app for Neapolitan"

Know what I mean? Any help would be fantastic!

Side note, instead of obamas face with the word change underneath it should be the android there. It may have sounded funnier in my head.

I was about to reply in a very rude manor. Thanks for telling me at the start. iPhail.

Upvote 0

My Samsung headphones can do that.

Not sure exactly what you want. I'm thinking that you probably would be happier with an alternate keyboard. If you do not like any auto correct at all and want the keyboard to type exactly what you pressed, I would recommend Thumb Keyboard. I hate any type of text prediction and Thumb can turn everything (including auto-spacing which I hate with a passion) off. If you want a better keyboard that does text prediction/auto-correct, SwiftKey is very popular.

I use Windows Media Player on my PC. I just store all of my songs on my computer and play them with WMP. I then copy them to my phone using file manager. WMP does have the capability to sync the songs. I don't use that feature. Copying works best for me because I have both an Android phone and Symbian phone. On my Symbian phone, I need to manually refresh the song list if I change it. That's just me as I have a rather heterogeneous environment.

Can't you use the volume rocker to control volume? My headset that came with my SGS3 has track controls on it.

Let me explain it to you this way. Android sounds more like the computers on Star Trek. iOS/Siri sounds more like C-3PO in Star Wars. That's just the style of S-Voice. Some people prefer you just get the answer without the small talk. Some people prefer a little more banter. As far as I know, there is no way to make S-Voice be Siri and vice versa.

Verizon did plan to make Siri availble on Android until Apple bought Siri. You're out of luck there.

If you want an alternative to S-Voice, you can just do a Google search. It looks like there are alternatives. I would suggest you try some of them out to see if they are to your liking.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones