iphone or android?General

If the iPhone does come to Verizon, will you keep your android or go with the iPhone?

Poll closed Apr 16, 2010.
  1. I like my android, I'm staying with it

84.2%
  2. I only got this phone because the iPhone wasn't on Verizon, and I'm switchin

15.8%

Last Updated:

1. icomeanon

icomeanon Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

well now we have the possibility of getting the iphone on verizon in the next 8 months or so. so the question is - will you do away with your android in favor of an iPhone 4th gen?

this is related to the OS, not the hardware.

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

I got Android because my sister had one and really liked it ... even if the iPhone was available I would have still gone Android and will in the future

3. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

I can't choose either of the 2 options.
    Mine would be: I'll wait and see, a lot of new stuff could happen in 8 months, if Verizon even gets an Iphone.

4. icomeanon

this is purely from an OS standpoint. do you prefer the android OS or apple's iphone OS for the way you use your phone?

need to edit the question and make it more clear, dont i...

5. mburghdorf

mburghdorf Member

I switched from an iphone to the eris. I'm much happier with a phone that can actually make phone calls and not drop them. I can't think of any apps that are on the iphone that I miss or can't get on my eris.

6. alprazolam

alprazolam Well-Known Member

No way I could go to such a closed device. I like Apple...they have great products but I just can't go with an OS that is so claustrophobic.

7. njenkins360

njenkins360 Guest

[​IMG]

DetteMan and johnnymhs like this.
  8. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

I like Android a lot but after getting an iPod Touch, I do like Apple more than I thought I would. I would miss the openess of Android and I dont like the way Apple does thing in general (sealed batteries, etc) but IF the iPhone came to Verizon I would definitely read to see what peoples' experiences were with it as a phone on VZW's network.

9. mom on the move

mom on the move Member

Android OS FTW! I was hardcore windows mobile for years, went BB for a year, and I've never had as much fun with a phone as I've had with my droid. My ONLY complaint with the droid is the proximity sensor sucks. Not sure if that's considered hardware or software. And I think there are WAY more free apps for droid than iphone. I have no problem donating when I love an app, but I need more than 24 hours to decide if I like it or not.

10. njenkins360

njenkins360 Guest

Ok all joking aside...

1) An iphone is just the android phone when you hit the "apps desktop" button. The home screen (especially in HTC Sense) is way cooler, and more fun to customize with widgets.

2) Google >> Apple

3) Iphone has years of development over Android at this point, so it is virtually bug free.

4) 200,000+ apps on Imarket

5) ATT was the biggest problem with the Iphone, so now that you can have one on the VZW network, it might be way better.

Final decision ... ANDROID !!

ps. ipad --> Weak, giant overpriced iTouch.

11. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

AT&T has great signal coverage where I live and work, so the iPhone or Android choice was there when I decided to get a new phone.

My kid's iPhone was always locking up and having various app failures and other strange behaviors.

It was not a difficult choice, I had only to choose which phone it would be with iPhone out of the running altogether once I handled an Eris.

12. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

this is probably the dumbest question ever ask on an android forum.
    to me its plain ******ed based on looking at what i have going on with my phone and my co-workers 3gs. now if they make it so that u can multitask have actual buttons and download apps other than whats in the market, also customize to death and use google voice, integrate with google apps without any fuss...look the iphone sucks!

13. AdmSuvvuk

AdmSuvvuk Well-Known Member

I wanted an iphone. I was sucked in by the slick interface, the glossy packaging. I spent a lot of time with my windows mobile phone trying to make it like an iphone. Then I wnet to Android. I like the Android OS. It's evolving. I don't think I'd buy an iphone even if it comes to Verizon. Unless the rumored dual boot comes to fruition, but I suspect that was April Fools hilarity.

14. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

I will wait to see the reviews and feedback from VZW users if/when the iPhone comes out. It's nearly impossible to know what I will do in a year or two from now.

15. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

Two opinions there.. and they are both disputed by some Android users.

I dispute them both; "..dumbest question ever asked.." There is a certain naive quality to the poll in an Adroid forum, but good Lord, man.. have another look around the forums out there.. "dumbest question ever asked?" :rolleyes:

"..iphone sucks.." Yeah, to us.. but it begs the question: how does something that "sucks" that much become successful? And the iPhone is successful. I can answer that by offering the observation that sucky things can be un-sucked over time, at least a bit, and at least enough to become very serious contenders in the little cell phone wars that have been going on over the years.

16. icomeanon

i would agree with you, and the results appear to agree with you, but for two things:
    1.) this is an android forum. we're biased as hell.
    2.) not all the responses are blatant 'screw crapple'. some people are actually thinking about going over, depending on what happens.

personally, i'm anti-crapple, and have been for years. i don't like their locked-down method of doing things. as a techie i think tinkering is akin to godliness, so apple's way of making their software doesn't work for me, personally. not everyone wants to tinker and customize and screw with things though, so this is a valid question.

no need to be negative.

17. duder of earl

duder of earl New Member

I like the Droid OS, much more than the Apple OS for their phones. Just the customization alone is amazing. My roommate has an iphone, he has to cheat the system just to make custom ringtones. All I need for my droid is ringdroid.

18. rick311

rick311 Well-Known Member

i wont choose either option. i LOVE the android OS more than the iphone os, but we get 159mb for apps when the iphone gets up to 32 gb?! the answer is clear to me.

19. Bishop

Bishop Well-Known Member

Ok, cool.
    I think I'll stick with android. I swear, I was just playing with an Iphone yesterday, and today, and still use my Ipod Touch, and I hate the feel of them now that I have an Eris. I only use my Ipod Touch cuz I got so many apps on it from a long time of owning it. And to me, it's easier to check my Yahoo email on it. Oh yeah, and I still keep my music on it. If it weren't for those things, I'd sell it.

20. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

the thing is...10 years ago i remember getting laugh at for being into computers (i use to do VERY very...illegal things) but now...the same people that laugh (well mocked..i was a lil toughy) need me to fix they computers or have all kinds of questions about them. they admire me for gettin into computer so early and think im a super genius (well...i am LOL!). as time goes on...more and more people are getting techie!
    a friend of mine is stil VERY illegal but wanted me to set up his PC network and do some...other things for him with his PC. as people get more techie, apple will look like grandmoms PC. so will iphones. not alot of flex room so no room for expansion. PC is the way (95+ % market share) and linux is its closes cousin. apple is like the child that was born from a brother and sister. looks normal...kind of!
    android is the future (cause winphone 7 series will bomb!). the way i judge what will be big is (kind of silly but...) when the people in the ghetto have it. cause not having anything else (for the most part) they are going to be tinkering like mad with android. and its so open they will see the possibilities as limited less, causing a contagious spread of "whatever they find out" about android. then next it will be on rap videos then every kid in the suburbs will be "tryna be down". even though...its arguable that android had its roots in the burbs. i know i know...im crazy whatever!
    but watch! :)

21. icomeanon

you have a point. its not about early adoption it's about saturation of the market. ghetto is the last place, in general, that gets certain things, like this type of tech. if it reaches and saturates the actual ghetto areas, thats where you know the iphone is on its way to the graveyard.

22. nekoki

nekoki Well-Known Member

I think both devices/systems have good and not-as-good points...

23. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

I would entertain the idea of getting a iphone on verizon....sure.

24. Droidcula

Droidcula Well-Known Member

In the end I think it basically comes down to quality of service and price of a new phone. I don't think the average user cares if it's Iphone or android. I think your power user CEO type of person uses a smartphone to it's full potential. People like me make a few calls, send a few text, and kill some time on the net while waiting in line for something. Both the Iphone and Android allows me to do that.

25. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I'm not planning to get another phone until my new every two in August 2011 at the earliest (or if the Eris spits the bit after the warranty but before then, I guess). If the iPhone is available then, I will certainly consider it. I was this close to getting one in December, but realized that on our family plan, it made more sense for us to stay Verizon than AT&T (for others outside my immediate family, but who are still family, who struggle with finances and would suddenly be paying minutes and have texts count against their plans.)