• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iphone or android?

If the iPhone does come to Verizon, will you keep your android or go with the iPhone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think android developers do a good job of keeping most apps a reasonable size. Some for iPhone's are considerably larger, I believe.

They are larger because they are significantly better and developed by numerous companies with huge budgets for iphone/ipad specific apps. (They cost more too). So you can get a racing game developed by EA sports that looks as good as a PS3, etc., etc.....so at the moment quite a bit better and detailed/professional than a lot of the Android apps.

Hopefully Google will provide a way to store apps on the SD card, and as Android grows, developers will jump on the Android bandwagon and provide a lot of the Iphone apps for our platform as well.

However, most people will probably be fine with the basic Android apps that serve their purpose and are of marginal quality and size....plus most are free....

Upvote 0
I think the original poster poses an interesting question but i think the results would obviously be biased by posing the question in an "Android" forum.

However regardless of the scientific merit of the poll...

The only reason i decided to go with the Eris was due to the fact that the iPhone wasn't available on the Verizon Network. So if Verizon does get one, yes i would get it. But i have been swayed by the Android OS a bit.

Before if you asked me by percentage which phone i would chose, it would've been no contest.

100% - iPhone
0% - Android

Now, after using the Eris

65% - iPhone
35% - Android

Competition is a great thing. And Android is definitely moving in the right direction.

Upvote 0
I'm intrigued by the prospect of the Iphone for VZW.

It makes me happy for the prosperity of Verizon, but makes no impression on me personally as to phone choices.

Even if it is a version that is superior to the AT&T version, I selected the Android platform after having had many phones and seeing many different ones in use and I am more than happy with what HTC has done with Android in the Eris.

Upvote 0
Harleys are great if you own a trailer to tow them to the dealer every so often.

Exactly. Well the evo line is reliable but for the cost its unreal how many folks want them. Just like the iPhone I can't count how many times someone told me how great their iPhone was only to have to put it on the charger or cuss because a call dropped. I'd say they are worse than Harley. Blame ATT all ya want but the guys carrying curves on ATT had no issues so imo its a less than mediocre phone at best.

Upvote 0
I think the original poster poses an interesting question but i think the results would obviously be biased by posing the question in an "Android" forum.

However regardless of the scientific merit of the poll...

The only reason i decided to go with the Eris was due to the fact that the iPhone wasn't available on the Verizon Network. So if Verizon does get one, yes i would get it. But i have been swayed by the Android OS a bit.

Before if you asked me by percentage which phone i would chose, it would've been no contest.

100% - iPhone
0% - Android

Now, after using the Eris

65% - iPhone
35% - Android

Competition is a great thing. And Android is definitely moving in the right direction.

What does Iphone offer that Eris doesn't?

Again, I'm sure the power users will lean towards Iphone because of the track record. What I don't get is why would a average user be swayed one way or the other. The average user isn't concerned about the amount of apps they can download. And if IPhone and Android are both offered by Verizon then why would the quality of service be different?

Upvote 0
PS...It seems odd that Verizon will offer the Iphone and the Android. Those are competing industries. Why would Apple and GOOGLE want Verizon to get an advantage in the cell phone racket?

My money is on Apple bought Verizon out with an Iphone contract. So this question is moot. Apple and Verizon want to crush google.

Upvote 0
PS...It seems odd that Verizon will offer the Iphone and the Android. Those are competing industries. Why would Apple and GOOGLE want Verizon to get an advantage in the cell phone racket?

My money is on Apple bought Verizon out with an Iphone contract. So this question is moot. Apple and Verizon want to crush google.

You're not thinking this through; iPhone and Android are not industries at all, but they are two platforms with devices competing within an industry, the same as any other devices with different platforms and OSs in the Verizon stores: Blackberry's RIM, is there, for example.

Verizon is drawing in people from the iPhone market in two ways now; 1. by offering Android phones which some think are better, and 2. by offering the iPhone for those who like it but don't like AT&T.

They want those contracts, no matter what the device is that they sell to us to get us on contract with them.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry...

If i had to base the iphone vs the eris as my android phone...I'd get an iphone(white) in a heartbeat...

I don't think the iphone is all what people say it is and that it's god's gift to all things technology.

Personally, out of the two OS systems, I like Android better. Just because it's new...fresh...and I love all things google.

But the eris vs a brand spanking new iphone? Yeah I'd get it...I like the look of the eris, i just hate the overall function of how long it takes to do things and as of now my alternatives are(An ugly ass droid and an even uglier devour)

Now get me an all touch screen device with Webos with a 5 megapixel camera, 3.7-4.3(hell, i'd settled for 3.2) and a great TOUCH keyboard...I will so drop Android for Webos because Webos is the best OS i think out there but the hardware makes Palm suffer. It multi-tasks far better than the iphone and Android and I just love the OS...hate the pre/pixi

Upvote 0
I'm sorry...

If i had to base the iphone vs the eris as my android phone...I'd get an iphone(white) in a heartbeat...

I don't think the iphone is all what people say it is and that it's god's gift to all things technology.

Personally, out of the two OS systems, I like Android better. Just because it's new...fresh...and I love all things google.

But the eris vs a brand spanking new iphone? Yeah I'd get it...I like the look of the eris, i just hate the overall function of how long it takes to do things and as of now my alternatives are(An ugly ass droid and an even uglier devour)

Now get me an all touch screen device with Webos with a 5 megapixel camera, 3.7-4.3(hell, i'd settled for 3.2) and a great TOUCH keyboard...I will so drop Android for Webos because Webos is the best OS i think out there but the hardware makes Palm suffer. It multi-tasks far better than the iphone and Android and I just love the OS...hate the pre/pixi

there is a reason that this is an OS comparison. you cant compare an eris to an iphone.
different price points, which means different hardware under the hood, so to speak. if you make a hardware comparison, it should be an iphone to a comparable phone.

iphone is currently listed at 199-299 on att's website. that puts it in the price range of a motorola droid, omnia 2, imagio, and touch pro2.

those of us with erises are below the iphone if you're going to compare hardware, and we know it. not to mention, the rumor is that the vzw iphone would be 4g not 3g/3gs. comparison is skewed by hardware in a big way.

Upvote 0
No way I could go to such a closed device. I like Apple...they have great products but I just can't go with an OS that is so claustrophobic.

what do you mean by this,i know nothing of the iphone,always been on verizon. why do people hate iphone so much.im not asking that question to create a big ddeal i just thought if verizon gets a iphone people would all go for it. what is so bad with apple?

Upvote 0
there is a reason that this is an OS comparison. you cant compare an eris to an iphone.
different price points, which means different hardware under the hood, so to speak. if you make a hardware comparison, it should be an iphone to a comparable phone.

iphone is currently listed at 199-299 on att's website. that puts it in the price range of a motorola droid, omnia 2, imagio, and touch pro2.

those of us with erises are below the iphone if you're going to compare hardware, and we know it. not to mention, the rumor is that the vzw iphone would be 4g not 3g/3gs. comparison is skewed by hardware in a big way.

Hmm well in that case....
I'd probably stick with Android but not vanilla...Blur or Sense Android...
Vanilla Android Vs. Iphone Os=Iphone wins in my opinion

but i think a true comparison would be
Webos Vs Android seeing how the iphone really doesn't multi-task and those two OS are more similar

Upvote 0
I like the iPhone and its OS. I went with Android this time around because I also like Google and have a lot of my daily rituals revolve around Google products, such as GMail, Reader, Wave, etc.

As far as the Android OS goes, I have nothing to compare it to. People on here are coming from Blackberries and say they now realize how bad BB is. I've just seen people use theirs and since Crackberry is as big a scene as Android, they gotta be doing something right.

When the iPhone comes to VZW, I will definitely give it some thought. I don't like the idea of an internal battery, though. It seems like battery pulls if the phone freezes would be a headache. Or something similar to battery pulls would be.

Still, this new iPhone is supposed to have multitasking and a bunch of other additions, which, I assume will be a response to Android's recent success.

All-in-all, it's hard to deny how great the iPhone is. Which is better? That's subjective and nothing's perfect. It still has the better app-support as developers jumped on the iPhone scene since it was the first to really make smartphones go mainstream, and many companies make apps for the iPhone, but not yet for Android.

I don't care how fast Android is expanding, the iPhone still has a chokehold on the smartphone game. While it's hard to extrapolate two years from now (taking into consideration the iPhone comes out later this summer and you get a two-year contract) how well the iPhone is doing relative to others, I think everyone should stop and think for a moment what it is they really have against Apple and the iPhone.
It seems cool to hate on the iPhone, which is fine, as long as it's your opinion and you've tried it and experienced it. Seeing as most people on this forum have a hard time searching for the instructions to installing a leak, let alone actually doing it, I just assume, and I'm making up this statistic, that 95% of those that bash the iPhone have no idea what it's all about.

If you're going to be a fanboy/fangirl, it's best you know your stuff before someone asks you a question about it, thus bringing your metaphorical pants down to about the knee-level, but not lower that mid-calf.

Upvote 0
I am not trying to be funny but it really doesn't matter if palm goes under next year. More then likely most ppl dont keep their phones for a full two years so i'm sure he'll probably be getting whatever new phones verizon has to offer so i say go for it. It's not a "Smart decision" to think about getting a palm pre.

Personally, the eris vs. the pre plus...I'd gladly recommend the pre plus...
now the droid vs pre...ehh, it go to the droid

Personally, I think you will like webos a lot(besides lack of apps) and the keyboard takes some acclimation but so does most new phones you get

and the guy at precentral are amazingly helpful with any questions and they are really nice over there as well.

Upvote 0
Not sure why, because the iphone is a dedicated processor, but on a car ride to the airport i was attempting to play the retarted game where you break bubble wrap with the touch screen and the phone kept shutting the app down claiming it didn't have enough memory top complete the processes.

just had to laugh and pull out the droid and open all my apps at once, haha.

Upvote 0
Google will purchase Palm.

I think so. If not google someone else. Palm always was lagging behind, even when Windows Mobile was king. There was talk of M$ buying Palm about 6 months ago, or not really rumors, but a suggestion to M$ that it would have been a smart move on their part. Then they would have had access to WebOS and it would have been a huge step up. Palm has a good OS now, that could benefit from a larger marketing budget.

I was holding out for the new Windows Mobile, but when I saw what they have planned for Windows Phone 7, and that they are intending to close the OS like Apple does it was one of the things that drove me to the Eris. I've used WinMo phones since the Windows CE days, my first smartphone was an HTC running Windows. It had a battery life of about 4 hours, and frequently locked up when making phone calls. But it sure looked cool, and kept me from carrying a phone and a PDA. Now it looks like a toy.

Upvote 0
There's no doubt I'd seriously consider the iPhone if it comes to Verizon. I really find it comical how some people are so quick to say it "sucks". Really? Sucks? Maybe you don't like Apple's practices and closed OS's, but I find it hard to say it sucks. The funniest thing to me is that people are bashing the OS4 already. How is that possible? Anyway, while I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Verizon to release the Incredible or N1, there's a few things that could make me keep this dang BB longer. The iPhone is almost a standardized piece of technology at this point, so there's a ton of docks and attachments that I find very interesting, especially the one that replaces the ashtray in my car with a perfect docking station. I need some time with an Android phone to make a decision, but my wife has had the 3G for a year now and I think it's pretty cool for the most part. So I'd keep an eye on it and then consider my options once the new OS it out and see how it really stacks up.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones