iPhone or Hero on AT&T Prepaid?

Last Updated:

1. danglr09

danglr09 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

well i recently found out that I could buy an iPhone 3g and have it work flawlessly on AT&T prepaid gophone w/unlim data, txt...etc video here
    So basically the buy proves that these steps work for the iPhone-

1. Buy iPhone 3G
    2. Buy AT&T GoPhone 3G SIM Card
    3. Call 1-800-331-0500 and activate your SIM card and when they ask for your IMEI number, say "I don't have one. I just want to activate the SIM card and I don't have a phone to go with it yet."
    4. Get your new phone number
    5. Buy a refill card
    6. Call 611 from your iPhone and buy features.
    7. Enjoy!!

But, recently I found out that the htc hero uses both of at&t's 3g speeds, 850 and 1900, among others.
    my question is would the htc hero work with 3g and data...easily with those above steps as well??
    or should i not risk it and just get an iPhone.
    thanks!:)

edit-and the iphone 3g 16gb would only cost me about $350 on ebay, the hero would cost me $499..

just found this:
    The FCC has approved the recently released HTC Hero. The handset supports 850/1900 MHz 3G bands which makes it compatible with AT&T's network
    ????????

Advertisement
  2. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

According to GSM Arena, currently available HTC Heroes don't give 3G access in North America, it only supports 900 and 2100. You'd be limited to 2G and Wifi/BT unless you wait for the official NA release.
    HTC Hero - Full phone specifications

HTC's UK site also says 900 & 2100, it's not on the US site. Where did you find out that it supports 850 and 1900?

3. danglr09

4. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

It's got quad-band for 2G and 2.5G (EDGE) so they will probably work, but you won't get 3G or 3.5G (HSPDA).

The FCC acceptance refers to the eventual North American launch, but that won't be for several months.

5. danglr09

so iphone it is?

6. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

Personally I'd take the HTC Magic over the iPhone. That has just been released in the US but under a different name - T-Mobile MyTouch 3G. But it's a matter of personal preference, I like to be able to customize and the UI and widgets look useful. Also, I support the open source philosophy.

The Magic doesn't have the nice Sense UI - although it may gain multitouch in the next couple of months if Android 2.0 enables it on existing devices made for 1.x.

7. danglr09

but how would i get it on prepaid?
    the only reason is im 16 and cant sign a contract.

8. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

Ah ... unless you can buy unlocked ones on eBay or somewhere, I guess you can't. Maybe the iPhone is best for you, it's certainly not a bad phone.

9. danglr09

even if it was unlocked it would only run 2g on at&t right?
    oh well i really wanted android but i guess i will get an iphone for now then later when at&t gets the hero [?] i will buy one of those any just switch the sim card.

10. txsuzana

txsuzana New Member

I have the Hero from Sprint and am trying to find a pre paid service to put it on. Needless to say the only things I find is that I have to have a sim card but sprint phones do not use sim cards. Does anyone know what I can do??

11. peterc10

peterc10 Well-Known Member

You really need to start a new thread on the Hero Sprint forum because nearly all the people here use GSM Heros with the SIM cards. AFAIK Sprint phones are CDMA not GSM and can only be used on Sprint. But if I am wrong I am sure a post on the right forum will tell you.