iPhone OS on Android phone

Last Updated:

1. newyorkgreg

newyorkgreg Active Member This Topic's Starter

Has anyone looked into the possibility of running iPhone OS on an Android phone?

Advertisement
  2. Wooby

Wooby Well-Known Member

No, I'm working on putting a Toyota Corolla engine in my Ferrari first.

3. aggieandroid84

aggieandroid84 Active Member

Bravo Wooby, I'd have to agree, a completely pointless gesture. I'm sure they'll do if for kicks but seriously....? I feel if one likes Apple's OS that much then one should just wait for the new iphone. It is sure to be a nice enough device. And coming seemingly very very soon. @newyorkgreg: I am curious what prompted such a query though.

4. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

Probably the fact that someone got Android running on an iPhone.

5. kibble

kibble Well-Known Member

normally we want new android builds, not downgrades.

oakindustries and Nex_1 like this.
  6. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

Not until I finish porting it to my old ENIAC.

7. newyorkgreg

You are right. Plus, I think the iPhone interface is much more user friendly compared to Android OS. Especially for the music area.

8. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

I don't think you can.

Android is open source while iPhone is closed.

The engine in the Toyota Corolla is much more user friendly than the one in the Ferrari.

9. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Maybe if you're five, yes.

rcrott1 likes this.
  10. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

lmao

The iPhone OS interface is for simple folk.

11. Bnice

Bnice Guest

@newyorkgerg why would anyone with an android os want the iphone os on there phone? you might as well go buy you an iphone,the point of android is being customizable.

12. newyorkgreg

People are such one-minded thinkers. Why would anyone pass electricity in a bulb. What a stupid idea!

Is there a problem if I thought creatively? No. I happen to like how iPhone is set up. That is subjective.

13. Niir

Niir Well-Known Member

if u root ur Inc. you can set it out to look exactly like an iphone, theres an example in the show ur android desktop thread.

although im still with the 'why god why would u do that' crowd =P

14. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

There should never be "Why?". "Why?" doesn't drive innovation, whereas "Why not?" certainly does.

Now that Android works (mostly) on iPhone 2 and 3G devices, it's only natural to wonder if anyone has attempted to port the iPhone OS to phones currently running Android.

I don't think you'll see the iPhone OS ported any time soon though, if ever, because of its closed nature and custom hardware. Jailbreaking was really only a very small step in cracking the shell around the iPhone OS.

But you have to figure that yes, there are a number of people out there hacking and reverse engineering the device day and night because of "Why not?".

15. Niir

Niir Well-Known Member

why port the actual OS when u can root ur phone and give it the appearance of the iphone while retaining the freedom of Android?

newyorkgreg likes this.
  16. newyorkgreg

That sounds more rational, after reading what people were saying here. How can I do that?

PS: Thank you for offering a solution, rather than an asshole reply.

17. mkeath

mkeath Well-Known Member

My asshole reply was because it would take years and years and years to port since all we have are binaries and we have no documentation whatsoever on the OS. Even then the port would be unusable. It would be easier to write your own OS. Actually you would have to since they are both different architectures.

EDIT: As a sloppy analogy, imagine if someone asked why Boeing doesn't take the Toyota Prius's engine and use it for their jets since it is more fuel efficient. Sure, with enough of them and some propellers you could probably do something with it, but you went through a ton of work to achieve something that really ended up being a huge pain in the ass. It just isn't worth it.

18. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Great thing about Android is that you have options so you can get your phone to look however you want! :D

19. snapper.fishes

snapper.fishes Well-Known Member

You stepped on a landmine, but it's not your fault. This is not the first iOS thread we have, and every single time it feels like every single trouble maker in this forum would gather over and throw a party. The same thing happens in XDA. Sometimes I wonder if android fan boys are actually worse than Apple fan boys. At least they seem to be pretty open minded about trying an Android OS on their Apple devices.

Unfortunately, it appears that no one has attempted to port the iOS over to android. There are several reasons, some of which might involve the legality of such an act.

If you want a device that feels like iOS, try MIUI rom. Currently only a few devices are supported, mostly HTC phones and the Nexus series. MIUI was originally developed by a Chinese developer team, but it has since then branched out. And despite its iOS like appearance, it is the second most popular custom rom after CM7.