iPhone SIM in a Nexus 4

1. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

My employer will supply an AT&T contract for me (unlimited usage on everything), but I have to get an iPhone. I don't want an iPhone. I'd rather buy a Nexus 4 with my own money, get the company-negotiated contract, and put the SIM in the Nexus 4. Does anyone know if this SIM swap will throw any yellow flags in the system? i.e. what information, other than my number and subscription information does a SIM carry? Just curious.

Advertisement
    :
  2. adi19956

adi19956 Well-Known Member

"A SIM card contains its unique serial number (ICCID), international mobile subscriber identity (IMSI), security authentication and ciphering information, temporary information related to the local network, a list of the services the user has access to and two passwords: a personal identification number (PIN) for ordinary use and a personal unblocking code (PUK) for PIN unlocking."

From Wikipedia.

A SIM card is dumb and shouldn't be able to throw up flags in the system.

Also you're in luck, the Nexus 4 uses micro SIM too!
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

I don't think it would work, doesn't the iPhone use a nano SIM, whilst the Nexus 4 uses a micro?
  4. adi19956

Oh forgot about the 5's switch to nano.

Okay revised: if it's a 4 or 4S, micro SIM, if it's a 5, nano SIM.

In which case you might be able to buy nano adapters? I'm not sure
  5. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

I would order the 4S, which has the same SIM form factor as the Nexus 4...
  6. adi19956

In which case I say:

Go for the deal, buy the Nexus 4 on Tuesday, swap the SIMs, sell the iPhone on Ebay, profit.
  7. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

Ideally, yes. I don't think selling a company phone for personal gain would be in the cards though. :)
  8. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

Thanks all... I may try to do this. Need to verify it doesn't violate any internal policies, but I dread the thought of having to go iPhone if I want to keep up on my work emails on my phone, which I do... (Our company has instituted MDM software and I'd rather not have MDM software on my personal contract device.)
  9. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

Submitted the concept for approval by the Powers That Be today. Crossing fingers!!!
  10. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

Denied. Will try another route, but it isn't looking hopeful.
  11. adi19956

You told them you were going to buy a different phone?

Why?
  12. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

Yes. Because my boss approves the contract and me going against the disapproval of my proposed arrangement would be a dismissable offense. I'd rather not risk a job black mark at best and a loss at worst. Over a phone.
  13. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

The plot thickens. My employer just approved the Galaxy S III for the buy list. So... Slow updates, the TouchWiz skin job, LTE on the S III, or fast updates, pure Google experience, slower connectivity, and no SD card on the Nexus 4. What would you do??? Keep trying to finagle the Nexus 4 or go for the S III??? I'm on the fence; push me!
  14. El Presidente

S3, no question! :D
  15. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

16. El Presidente

Just because it saves messing around with getting SIMs to work AND saves you a bit of cash.

Put the money you were going to use for the Nexus towards a Nexus 7 or even better, use it for Xmas presents.

It's just what I would do, if you're set on the N4 go for it.
  17. sperho

sperho Well-Known Member

Thanks...I'm really on the fence at this point - I like Nexus phones for speedy updates, but I looked at an S3 in a store last night and I could live with TouchWiz...so definitely not dead set on the N4. The money isn't really an issue as I'm going to be living with this thing for about 2 years...
  18. DexTyler

DexTyler Well-Known Member

The N4 will get not only more updates than the SIII, but faster updates. And nothing beats pure Google experience without all the bloatware to be expected on others in my opinion. Still, if it's the UI that's a worry, get Apex launcher or Nova and tweak to your desire.