iPhone to Android!

1. yourmn

yourmn New Member

Hi

I've never had an Android phone before and have a quick question!

I've had an iPhone since they came out, and I am now considering a change and looking at the new Galaxy S3. I've noticed when using a friends Galaxy Ace that when they receive an SMS it only displays an little envelope in the top corner on the lockscreen - can this be changed so that is shows prominently on the lockscreen like the iPhone?

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hello and welcome aboard. Thanks for joining us here. I'm not sure if you can have this done without installing an app from the Google Play store. From what I've read about notification - most users love the fact that their message doesn't display publicly but rather discreetly. But I guess you want the opposite.

If memory serves me correctly, there is an application called "Go SMS " that has this feature.

I hope you'll find the Android platform useful. :)
  3. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

There is also handcent and sms popup.
    I use go sms and I have the pop up feature turned off.
  4. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

I cannot speak for Samsung but HTC Sense 4.0 works this way. A large SMS icon is in the center of the lock screen. You drag the icon down to the lock ring and it opens the SMS app.
  5. yourmn

yourmn New Member

Thats brill. It doesn't have to display the actual message to me, it would just be nice to have a standout notification that i have a sms and who from if you get my drift!

Think I will definetely be changing to the S3!
  6. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

i have always used sms popup, but i havent had something like that installed for quite some time, nor have i used any other messaging features on my nexus, such as go sms, i really should, but i dont like change :p
  7. pool_shark

pool_shark Well-Known Member

That's why I have separate notification sounds, led, and icons for select contacts.
  8. TeddyS

TeddyS New Member

Actually,Samsung does the same thing as HTC, only a little different. When you get a new message, a circle comes up in the middle/near the top of the lock screen. You drag it, and while doing that, a larger circle will appear. You then drag you're finger out of it and it opens up the new txt. It also shows the message symbol in the notification bar. The Galaxy S3 is also going to have a notification LED so it will tell you when you get a new notification.
  9. danaj

danaj Well-Known Member

I use go sms, and have the pop up feature turned off. I just started using the app pops, it actually play a short video every time you get a message, you can even answer the message from the lock screen if you want. It is awesome! Check it out.