1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

iPhone to Android

1. iamchrisstone

iamchrisstone Active Member

I have had iPhone devices for years (even though I can't stand any other Apple product, personally). Most of my friends and associates are on iPhone, however I do have some regular contacts that are on iPhone. - All of this is relevant.

I have decided to switch over to the Galaxy S4 or the Note 3 (when it comes out). Samsung is creating amazing devices. I love almost everything I see, read and hear. However, there are 3 hesitations that hopefully I can get help with.

1) Sharing Contacts - Currently, when one of my iPhone peers needs a contact, or I do from them, we open up the contact, hit "Share Contact" and send it over. We can receive it, choose "Add as New Contact" and it's done. Whenever I share a contact with an Android friend, they get jibberish. My friend with the Note 2 said he can see all of the contact info, but it's in there with the gibberish and he has to figure out what is real info. Is there an app or anything that can allow me to continue to share and receive contacts with peers on the iPhone once I switch over? Also, can I share with other Android users? By the way, "BUMP" will not work as we are usually not next to each other when this info is needed to be shared.

2) Sending/Receiving Picture Messages - When sending an image from my iPhone, if I open up a text and select the picture from there, most of my Android peers do not receive it. However, if I go into my photo album, select the image and choose "Send in Text", they do. This is annoying but I'm ok with the extra couple of steps. However, once I switch over, this may cause quite a big deal with people trying to send me images. Is there a setting or something in Android that will allow the user to be able to accept all images? And visa versa as well.

3) I forget what the 3rd things was. I'll add as comment once I remember. But these are 2 very huge things for me. Also, is there anything else I should know about before switching over?

Advertisement
  2. Rush

Rush {<>}~{<>} Guide

Hi iamchrisstone ... :ciao:

Glad to have you join the Android world. I don't know much about Samsung devices, but from what I've seen and read ...those two devices you mentioned are totally awesome.

I'm sure some folks will chime in to assist you further.
    Here's hoping your Android experience will be an amazing adventure.

Cheers! ;)
  3. iamchrisstone

Thank you, Rush! I meant to start off saying I'm new here :) Everyone of my Android people advised me this is the place to get answers.
    pastafarian, Rush and ocnbrze like this.
  4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

1. This is an issue of Apple's proprietary format in sending contact data. I am not sure if Apple can send the data in a vcf format which can be read by every other phone brand not named Apple (its the standard). You can ask the sender to send the data via text though.

2. This is because when you send picture messages on Apple it usually goes through the iMessage service, which makes it impossible for any non-Apple device to retrieve.

A work around would be to keep your old iPhone as an iPod (music player and stuff) and have it still logged in to your Apple account so any picture sent via iMessage, or contacts sent via Apple's proprietary format is still accessible to you if there ever is a problem when receiving on the Android side.
  5. iamchrisstone

1. This is an issue of Apple's proprietary format in sending contact data. I am not sure if Apple can send the data in a vcf format which can be read by every other phone brand not named Apple (its the standard). You can ask the sender to send the data via text though. Yeah, I was afraid it was an Apple thing. They do send the "contact" via text, or i send via text. The problem it's never a simple phone number to copy and paste. So many of us in my direct circle usually share full information. And if someone sends me a contact, i dont want to say "hey, by the way, can you just copy and paste each piece of information". I mean, it sounds like that's my only option, but it's just not convenient.

2. This is because when you send picture messages on Apple it usually goes through the iMessage service, which makes it impossible for any non-Apple device to retrieve. Well, with iPhone, if the other party is not on imessage, it won't even attempt it. For instance, even another iphone, if they are on an older version or something, it won't try to send via imessage. So, I wouldnt think it would to an Android either. Is there another explanation?

A work around would be to keep your old iPhone as an iPod (music player and stuff) and have it still logged in to your Apple account so any picture sent via iMessage, or contacts sent via Apple's proprietary format is still accessible to you if there ever is a problem when receiving on the Android side. Honestly, that's too much work. I'll just stick with the iPhone if I have to do all of that. Does anyone know of any other options?
  6. chanchan05

1. Doesn't Apple have a "send information via text" option in the share box?

2. You'd have to have an MMS service, as well as the other person. Not really sure how Apple handles MMS. Android's have no problems with non-Apple devices in sending MMS.

Another work around would be to use a cross platform messaging service in lieu of iMessage, like Viber or Whatsapp. They work like iMessage in sending messages and pictures over data, but works on both iPhone and Android, even Windows Phone and Symbian.
  7. iamchrisstone

1. I just checked again just in case I missed something. The only option for that is "Share Contact". It DOES send via text, but when it goes to an Android person, it has dozens or maybe hundreds of other characters all mixed in with the contact information. Also, does Android have an option to share contact as well? and do you know if iOS can accept it?

2. Yeah, I think you're right. I have both Viber and Whatsapp both, but some of my peers do not have either. I guess at this point "It is what it is". I know I can't have my cake and eat it too, but man I sure wish there was a way that these 2 platforms could just work better together. There's no sense in this crap LOL
  8. chanchan05

Yes Android has a list of ways you can share contact info. You can send via message (just name and number), or you can send the vcf namecard (basically contains contact photo, email, number, address, everything) via MMS, dropbox, Email, Google Drive, Bluetooth, QR code, etc. As I have previously said though, not sure if Apple reads VCF format. But the message can be read though.
  9. iamchrisstone

Thanks ChanChan05
  10. mydian

mydian Well-Known Member

I have sent VCF namecards by email to my brother's iPhone 4S. He was able to read the namecards and add the contacts.
  11. iamchrisstone

so they could read it when sent via email? could they save it to the android contact list, or did they have to copy each piece?